AJC Article on Value of Adidas Deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
3 million in apparel per year is a lot of gear. That's a ton of gear. It's up to CPJ to get his team to win 9 games or more twice. That would be a windfall.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tech could have remedied this by restricting the licenses to other vendors and funneling that business to adidas for more cash. The other vendors ... New Era, Top of the World, etc ... make crappy Tech products anyway and we need more consistency in our products.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tech could have remedied this by restricting the licenses to other vendors and funneling that business to adidas for more cash. The other vendors ... New Era, Top of the World, etc ... make crappy Tech products anyway and we need more consistency in our products.

I have said it many times. Schools need experienced businessmen as AD and presidents in this modern era than administrators. Its not to say there arent alot of good administrators because there are. But business models are ever evolving and having that experience on staff or as the lead for a school would be huge.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
This is a really good deal for Tech imo. Don't underestimate how the amount of gear that players receive will help in recruiting. I'm not expecting it to help reel in 5 stars left and right, but I seriously think that it will help land some better recruits.

Well at least we can offer our athletes and recruits a LOT of swag.....can’t give them money

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
That’s weird - it’s what I do all the time, including today to read the article.
I used to as well, before they changed their myajc layout. Oh well, guess I just won't read the worthless fish wrapper anymore. Not worth my time to have to dial in browser settings to read something that should be free with ads on it.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Must admit I thought the money would be more, but our deal is similar to USF's so let's enjoy the new swag. I like Adidas apparel, so I hope their GT stuff is available soon.

Adidas has done a good job with both traditional football unis (Nebraska) and a more modern look (da U), so I'm hoping they will whip up both types for us. I love our traditional uni - gold pants, white jersey, god hat - but I'm open to a change as long as it's distinctive w/o being XFL-ish or Maryland-ish.

Lurkerjack

Georgia Tech Fan
Regarding the 2 9 win seasons, the exact quote from the article is “The retainer fee will be adjusted by $450,000 if the team wins nine games in a row in back-to-back seasons.”.

If this is accurate, the way I read this, 2 9 win seasons will not invoke the kicker unless the wins are “in a row”. Do you think this is true or poor wording?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This deal infuriates more that we could’ve jumped on the cash cow by opting out of Russell after yr 7

I don't think leaving Russell earlier would have helped much in the cash deal. Once we were the only P5 school left with them, we lost all leverage with the big three. They knew we were desperate to leave, and didn't exactly need to throw money at us to choose them. We also aren't a big enough name with a big enough fan base to garner the big bucks either. It's our own fault for staying with Russell when the signs were there a decade ago that we needed to leave.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Regarding the 2 9 win seasons, the exact quote from the article is “The retainer fee will be adjusted by $450,000 if the team wins nine games in a row in back-to-back seasons.”.

If this is accurate, the way I read this, 2 9 win seasons will not invoke the kicker unless the wins are “in a row”. Do you think this is true or poor wording?
Looks to be true imo unless Ken messed up the wording. Probably somewhat of a grey area that depends on how well the relationship is at the time, and how well addias is doing financially. 9 wins in a row b2b? Good luck. Only been done 3 times since 2000. What happened to setting realistic, obtainable goals?

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think leaving Russell earlier would have helped much in the cash deal. Once we were the only P5 school left with them, we lost all leverage with the big three. They knew we were desperate to leave, and didn't exactly need to throw money at us to choose them. We also aren't a big enough name with a big enough fan base to garner the big bucks either. It's our own fault for staying with Russell when the signs were there a decade ago that we needed to leave.
You mean its ****ing drad's fault.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You mean its ****ing drad's fault.

To a degree. DRad was first and foremost, a money raiser. He excelled in that role. We were ahead of the curve in having an indoor practice facility, and the funds for McCamish were his work as well. In the Russell deal, he got a desperate Russell to top load the deal with cash to help a financially strapped GTAA. Was it shortsighted? Maybe. It was also a desperate infusion of funds in 2007 when we needed it. Long term, it hurt this deal to a degree, but short term, the Russell deal served its purpose.

Either way, I am glad to see the Russell era come to a merciful close here on the Flats.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Looks to be true imo unless Ken messed up the wording. Probably somewhat of a grey area that depends on how well the relationship is at the time, and how well addias is doing financially. 9 wins in a row b2b? Good luck. Only been done 3 times since 2000. What happened to setting realistic, obtainable goals?

It's been done 5 times since 2000, (2000, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2016), but your point remains. :)

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
My thought on the cash part of the deal: As I understand the rules; schools can't give any more money to the student athletes than the NCAA rules specify: full scholarship, plus a "cost of attendance" stipend. But they can provide gear. With this deal, Tech is near the top in the amount of gear they'll be able to give out. Probably be good for recruiting when our guys can show visiting recruits a closet jam-packed with Adidas swag. The total amount of the deal puts Tech at 31st. Which is probably generous considering the size of our community.

Also, the GTAA total budget is around $80 million. So, the 700k difference in cash is a relatively small amount in the grand scheme. Plus, with the ACCN coming online there's new money coming from there. I suspect ADTS also has some confidence he can enhance the revenue stream through other means; better fundraising, adding value to ticket sales with things like a 'party deck' at BDS like they did at UCF, etc.

It's also been reported that Adidas plans to partner with Tech in the Atlanta area on research, development and marketing. So, a direct cash payout simply may not have been the most efficient way to add value to the deal for Tech.