Ahmaud Arbery murder case

Deleted member 2897

Outside of Abery's family, do you really think that the black community, BLM, and the media would give a damn about this case if Arbery had been stopped by 2 black men with guns. Since when has the black community ever publicly protested black on black deaths?

Since a long time ago. But I’m not black so I can’t answer your question. You could ask a local leader of the community to see what sorts of gatherings and rallies they have.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I guess especially if you live somewhere that water isn't readily available, such as beside a river.
True. I’ve seen whole families gunned down because of an illicit sip off a garden hose. Teaches the neighbors a valuable lesson about water theft. I hear water thefts plummet after a good massacre or two. There’s some things that are just crossing the line & stealing water is one of them in South Georgia.

I am being obtuse? Please provide a Georgia statute that makes it illegal to enter a house. You can't because there isn't one. "Entering a house" is not a crime.

So I can just go up to houses that seem to be empty, and try the doors until I find one that is left unlocked, walk right on in and hang out as long as the owners aren't there? I really can't buy that that's legal.

So I can just go up to houses that seem to be empty, and try the doors until I find one that is left unlocked, walk right on in and hang out as long as the owners aren't there? I really can't buy that that's legal.
There were no doors on the house that were, or probably even could be, locked. Have you really never gone into a house under construction just to see what it looks like? I have lots of times.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It would depend on if people are present in the house and what you do in the house. If there are people at home, and a person enters the home without authorization, it is quite possible that they could be charged with assault, as the people in the house could have a reasonable apprehension of receiving a violent injury. If you defeat a locked door, then there might be damage to the door or a jury could decide that the locked door qualifies as notice from the owner that you aren't allowed to enter. There are items that qualify as inference of intent, such as looking through cabinets and drawers. If a person arrive at home and discovers an unauthorized person is looking in enclosed areas, a jury can legally assume that the person had intent to commit a crime.

Note that I am not saying that it is OK to enter someone's house without permission. I am only saying that the act of "entering" doesn't violate any statutes that I know of. (I have to throw in the I am not a lawyer disclaimer. I can search through and read statutes and notes with those statutes, but I am not a legal expert.)

EDIT: As I said I am not an expert. If you know of any Georgia statute that would make "entering a house" illegal, point me to it and I will read it to see if it does apply.

Last edited:
It would depend on if people are present in the house and what you do in the house. If there are people at home, and a person enters the home without authorization, it is quite possible that they could be charged with assault, as the people in the house could have a reasonable apprehension of receiving a violent injury. If you defeat a locked door, then there might be damage to the door or a jury could decide that the locked door qualifies as notice from the owner that you aren't allowed to enter. There are items that qualify as inference of intent, such as looking through cabinets and drawers. If a person arrive at home and discovers an unauthorized person is looking in enclosed areas, a jury can legally assume that the person had intent to commit a crime.

Note that I am not saying that it is OK to enter someone's house without permission. I am only saying that the act of "entering" doesn't violate any statutes that I know of. (I have to throw in the I am not a lawyer disclaimer. I can search through and read statutes and notes with those statutes, but I am not a legal expert.)

So, in other words, you really don't know if it's illegal or not for a person to enter a random home with noone home.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So, in other words, you really don't know if it's illegal or not for a person to enter a random home with noone home.

I just updated that post with an edit. If you know of ANY statute in Georgia that makes it illegal, point me to it and I will read it to see if it applies.

However, don't just say "It has to be illegal". Many people have said that Arbery committed trespass, but reading the actual statute, it does not appear that he did. (He didn't cause damage, the owner didn't notify him not to enter, and the owner didn't request him to leave, which at least one of those is required) What you "think" is legal or illegal doesn't matter. What the words of the laws say is what matters.