Ahmaud Arbery murder case

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not naive at all. I’m likely one of the few on here that actually works very closely with several black men every single day. We talk about these things, too. Not one of them has any apprehension about being out and about in a predominantly white neighborhood. On the other hand, they routinely respond with, “you were in THAT neighborhood by yourself”?, when I tell them about some place I went.

This is actually very telling: the majority of us (white or black) work with the other (black or white...or Indian or Hispanic or Asian or female or male or gay or lesbian or other, et al, et al) every day. Especially here in Atlanta. It’s what we do. It’s normal. We don’t question it. As a white guy..I recognize I’m not the majority in every social setting. And so, re the current issue and topic at hand, I see that it’s the *other side* — those that don’t understand or live this reality, or live in the past, or have historical grievance to apply, or seek special status, or feel entitled, or have no perspective on modern America.....whatever outlier perspective it is. And so we’re left with sensational and opportunist events that ruins the vast majority of experience.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My black friend and fellow church member pretty much feels the same, as I am sure most blacks do, but it only takes one jerk to prove the opposite, and those jerks in Brunswick pretty much do that IMO

Oh, @Supersizethatorder-mutt I know you didn’t mean it literally take’s *one* jerk to *prove* the opposite. I know you didn’t mean that. But that this might be the mentality of others is exactly what some of us are pushing against.

We need to target the cause of this tragedy & move the needle forward not let the media/politician/lawyer clowns or radical wingnuts on either side of this situation take this over to everybody’s disbenefit except their own.
I don't disagree with that in the least, but therein lies the problem --- the radical wingnuts on either side blow everything out of protection. I am not a radical wingnut, but because things do get blown out of proportion I just figure that it is better to err on the side of caution than to ignore any possibility at all of there being a problem.

Oh, Super... I know you didn’t mean it take *one* jerk to *prove* the opposite. I know you didn’t mean that. But that this might be the mentality of others is exactly what some of us are pushing against.
I don't support that kind of mentality either, no matter what some of you think I meant in what I said. But those jerks in Brunswick, along with the very much delayed response by law enforcement officials sure seem to have that mentality and contributed to it well outside of Brunswick. And I repeat, it only takes one jerk doing those kinds of things to stir up a nation-wide hornets nest.

This is actually very telling: the majority of us (white or black) work with the other (black or white...or Indian or Hispanic or Asian or female or male or gay or lesbian or other, et al, et al) every day. Especially here in Atlanta. It’s what we do. It’s normal. We don’t question it. As a white guy..I recognize I’m not the majority in every social setting. And so, re the current issue and topic at hand, I see that it’s the *other side* — those that don’t understand or live this reality, or live in the past, or have historical grievance to apply, or seek special status, or feel entitled, or have no perspective on modern America.....whatever outlier perspective it is. And so we’re left with sensational and opportunist events that ruins the vast majority of experience.
For at least 20 out of the 30 years I worked before retiring, I worked very closely with quite a few black men and women. I was accepted by each and every one of them as a friend, and I considered each and every one of them more like brothers or sisters to me than my own sister. Some of us still see each other at least once a year, and I stay in fairly frequent contact with one of the women. I dearly love her, and I attended her second wedding, something like 10 years after her first husband had died, and I attended the totally unexpected funeral of that second husband merely a year after they married. I would trust them all with my life, as I think they would too regarding me. But the fact remains that there are some dangerous bigoted people in this world of all races, who do not look on members of other races as being worthy of trust. It is sad, but it is true.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
kg01 said:
Too painful a subject for me. I've told about how my grandmother explained how I should act in public as a black man. One of the things she told me was I couldn't run in public because, if someone accused me of a crime, they could gun me down and ask questions later. And nothing would be done about it.

She told me this in 1988 so this wasn't some Black Lives Matter conversation. Apparently she'd seen that happen several times.

I didn't think I'd have to have those types of conversations with my sons some 30-odd years later but here we are.

What makes it even sadder is my grandma lives in Brunswick and I'm sure she knows that family. I know it's just some 'story' for most of yall, but I have to walk around with that fear my whole life.“

This is from @kg01. It’s a powerful experience and certain reality from his grandmother. It’s also from words of 1988 (also year I graduated high school .. 32 years ago). So that probably makes his grandmother’s experience from 50/60 or even 70 years ago. This is the challenge of today: is today the same as 50+ years ago; and, if not, how to move forward against the remembrance of those long deceased.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For at least 20 out of the 30 years I worked before retiring, I worked very closely with quite a few black men and women. I was accepted by each and every one of them as a friend, and I considered each and every one of them more like brothers or sisters to me than my own sister. Some of us still see each other at least once a year, and I stay in fairly frequent contact with one of the women. I dearly love her, and I attended her second wedding, something like 10 years after her first husband had died, and I attended the totally unexpected funeral of that second husband merely a year after they married. I would trust them all with my life, as I think they would too regarding me. But the fact remains that there are some dangerous bigoted people in this world of all races, who do not look on members of other races as being worthy of trust. It is sad, but it is true.

I have no doubt. What you’re saying here is what almost all of us think and experience. I wouldn’t — but would still — go into my personal experience of career, social and religious experience. But the topic here re Society In Shambles is either to laugh at silly things people do (where @Milwaukee started it) or to address paramount society ills. I maintain this Brunswick incident is an outlier and NOT specifically endemic to society.

I have no doubt. What you’re saying here is what almost all of us think and experience. I wouldn’t — but would still — go into my personal experience of career, social and religious experience. But the topic here re Society In Shambles is either to laugh at silly things people do (where @Milwaukee started it) or to address paramount society ills. I maintain this Brunswick incident is an outlier and NOT specifically endemic to society.
I would agree that it is not endemic to our society, but I also think it is more than just an outlier.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't support that kind of mentality either, no matter what some of you think I meant in what I said. But those jerks in Brunswick, along with the very much delayed response by law enforcement officials sure seem to have that mentality and contributed to it well outside of Brunswick. And I repeat, it only takes one jerk doing those kinds of things to stir up a nation-wide hornets nest.

I really avoid inferring, but if said, “

My black friend and fellow church member pretty much feels the same, as I am sure most blacks do, but it only takes one jerk to prove the opposite, and those jerks in Brunswick pretty much do that

I just have to keep reminding for others (not you, but for others who would quote) that “one” does not “prove”.

Again.. I know that this is not you. But others have remembrance from 1988 and beyond from ancestors that are extrapolated to last week in Brunswick as a modern day normal.

So I think it’s really critical for future generations to separate the past. And so Brunswick last week doesn’t change the future, except for the radical response to it.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Geez. Lighten up. It's a pretty common expression. Not a theological masterpiece.

How about not extrapolating too much from a post that wasn't near as deep as you apparently took it?

Whatever. I guess you’re just not that deep to understand the underlying implications of all this. And prone to cliche expressions as well.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There you go extrapolating again.

Quiet yourself. We know from previous posts you’re just siding from a Liberal agenda. That’s fine because we like good argumentative here. But please come back with something substantial next time. You said “Job”. What did you mean outside of a cliche?

I really avoid inferring, but if said, “

My black friend and fellow church member pretty much feels the same, as I am sure most blacks do, but it only takes one jerk to prove the opposite, and those jerks in Brunswick pretty much do that

I just have to keep reminding for others (not you, but for others who would quote) that “one” does not “prove”.

Again.. I know that this is not you. But others have remembrance from 1988 and beyond from ancestors that are extrapolated to last week in Brunswick as a modern day normal.

So I think it’s really critical for future generations to separate the past. And so Brunswick last week doesn’t change the future, except for the radical response to it.
What one jerk "proves" is that that kind of mentality still exists, and it has nothing to do with separating from the past. Most blacks are not like Jussie Smollett, but the fact that he did what he did proves to me that that kind of mentality also still exists.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Quiet yourself. We know from previous posts you’re just siding from a Liberal agenda. That’s fine because we like good argumentative here. But please come back with something substantial next time. You said “Job”. What did you mean outside of a cliche?
Good question.

Did you just say I lean "liberal" in my posts? You are lost, brother. Please go as far back as you need to try to confirm that. I doubt you can.

To answer your question about my patience comment. At the time I posted that, I had felt like a couple of folks had gone after @kg01 pretty hard. The substance wasn't the issue to me. And at the time @kg01 had responded (in my opinion) without ratcheting it up. Again... not about the substance. At the time... I was hoping he'd not change. I was interested in his perspective.... just like I'm interested in yours.

I feel like you took a shot at me ... out of nowhere really.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
What one jerk "proves" is that that kind of mentality still exists, and it has nothing to do with separating from the past. Most blacks are not like Jussie Smollett, but the fact that he did what he did proves to me that that kind of mentality also still exists.

Exactly how I feel. Except I strongly suspect Smollett — great example to mention, re the media sensation (oh wait...except that absolutely lied on national news networks that promoted his lie...oh, wow what a story!)— is not necessarily norm, but the narrative folks can’t wait for.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good question.

Did you just say I lean "liberal" in my posts? You are lost, brother. Please go as far back as you need to try to confirm that. I doubt you can.
I feel like you took a shot at me ... out of nowhere really.

Well, the reality of it is that you quoted me by way of a deflective post from kg01. Not that it matters, of course, because there wasn’t ever a substantive reply...kg01 hasn’t really said anything substantive, except from apparently as I understand from his grandmother in 1988 from her life experience.

But you know you’re liberal. It’s clear from your siding against @Supersizethatorder-mutt and others. Just embrace and fight for it, though!

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Well, the reality of it is that you quoted me by way of a deflective post from kg01. Not that it matters, of course, because there wasn’t ever a substantive reply.

But you know you’re liberal. It’s clear from your siding against @Supersizethatorder-mutt and others. Just embrace and fight for it, though!
I feel like you're really messing with me now. Siding against @Supersizethatorder-mutt ? Others?

Well, the reality of it is that you quoted me by way of a deflective post from kg01. Not that it matters, of course, because there wasn’t ever a substantive reply...kg01 hasn’t really said anything substantive, except from apparently as I understand from his grandmother in 1988 from her life experience.

I don't know where you came up with that idea. I have found myself in agreement with @FredJacket most, if not all of the time.