Adam Gotsis arrested

slugboy

Staff member
Anecdotally, a fairly high number of rape allegations are unfounded.

So, a high number of women go out of their way to get stigmatized, called liars, and have uncomfortable situations with their friends and family just so they can have a minuscule chance of any penalty to the man they’re accusing?
If anything, the odds are strongly against a woman bringing this accusation forward. When one is brought forward, it should be taken seriously

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

Well actually...we’ve never met but I could falsely claim you assaulted me anyway. I get your point though and it certainly has merit.

But a 5 year old case. Physical evidence is not likely to exist. Even photo evidence of injuries hypothetically would be subject to extreme scrutiny.

Without more info, the only way I see them having solid PC is through a confession. Her allegation plus hypothetical corroborating testimony “she told me he raped her (the day of or very next day), she was visibly distraught, and I saw her injuries”....would be very weak PC even if he refused to cooperate with investigators prior to arrest. Just imo.

Right. If you never have sex, its not a he-said/she-said per se'. If she says he forced her and he says it was consensual, what in the world do the authorities do? If there isn't any evidence of physical violence, its difficult to adjudicate. If its a she-says/he-says-never-happened, that's completely different. I could volunteer for a DNA test, lie detector test, all kinds of stuff, because we never even had sex.

At first I wondered with all the sexual assault awareness going on in the news, did he reach out to apologize to her and she used his phone conversations/texts/emails as the evidence? Because I would surely hope you can't just get anybody arrested and have a $50,000 bond over an accusation. And especially not for a rich athlete who would be an obvious target for extortion. But then he and his lawyer are saying this is a bunch of hooey. Surely they wouldn't be saying that if she had evidence of such from him. I guess that's why we have a judicial system.

Deleted member 2897

So, a high number of women go out of their way to get stigmatized, called liars, and have uncomfortable situations with their friends and family just so they can have a minuscule chance of any penalty to the man they’re accusing?
If anything, the odds are strongly against a woman bringing this accusation forward. When one is brought forward, it should be taken seriously

You're both right. Although its hard to define 'high number', since that's a she-doesn't-say/he-doesn't-say. Folks like Jennifer Pendley ruin it for all the many legitimate cases.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Depends on the target really. If you're accusing some regular dude with lots of friends, the reward may not be worth the risk of a fake accusation. If you're accusing a high profile multi millionaire, the reward is pretty high and there's practically no downside because a false accusation gets no punishment.

Not trying to say every accusation is false, but you'd be pretty foolish not to believe there's a **** ton of false accusations going on as well. Most the time we'll never know but you can make a decent guess based on past behaviors and/or other accusations.

slugboy

Staff member
Depends on the target really. If you're accusing some regular dude with lots of friends, the reward may not be worth the risk of a fake accusation. If you're accusing a high profile multi millionaire, the reward is pretty high and there's practically no downside because a false accusation gets no punishment.

Not trying to say every accusation is false, but you'd be pretty foolish not to believe there's a **** ton of false accusations going on as well. Most the time we'll never know but you can make a decent guess based on past behaviors and/or other accusations.

There’s practically no downside to accusing someone who can afford an expensive lawyer to vigorously paint the accuser as a liar?
Maybe if you already have absolutely nothing to lose. And if the case is a criminal prosecution, it’s for jail time and not for money.
Looking at this thread, I’ve seen one person say “wait a second, this looks bad” and most of the responses have been that these things typically get faked. Not much “let’s wait and see” or other cautious comments.
It’s rare to get arrested on a rape charge. After 5 years, probably rarer. That’s not a good sign.
Women, including women on this forum, get to see us saying “a lot of women make up fake rape charges”. They already have to deal with the idea that no one will believe them, and we’re proving them right in this thread.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As a woman on this forum I can only speak for myself and I assure you that if there is anything said about this subject, including the Pastner issue, that I find objectionable I will certainly speak up.

That being said, I personally have issues with the current trend of #metoo, especially when an extended period of time has passed since the alledged event/events were to have occurred. I'm not saying that this woman accusing AG is making a false accusation but I would like to know what the statute of limitations is on a charge like this.

jeffgt14

There’s practically no downside to accusing someone who can afford an expensive lawyer to vigorously paint the accuser as a liar?
Maybe if you already have absolutely nothing to lose. And if the case is a criminal prosecution, it’s for jail time and not for money.
Looking at this thread, I’ve seen one person say “wait a second, this looks bad” and most of the responses have been that these things typically get faked. Not much “let’s wait and see” or other cautious comments.
It’s rare to get arrested on a rape charge. After 5 years, probably rarer. That’s not a good sign.
Women, including women on this forum, get to see us saying “a lot of women make up fake rape charges”. They already have to deal with the idea that no one will believe them, and we’re proving them right in this thread.

I never called anyone a liar. I was just answering your comment about why someone would lie about this. If you ever hear of a punishment for a false tape accusation then by all means please share because I watched an Oklahoma RB get railed on this year by a BS accusation and nothing ever came of the accuser even after her own friends provided proof of a false accusation.

With that said, let's just wait and see what comes out but I will side with Gotsis until proven otherwise.

jeffgt14

As a woman on this forum I can only speak for myself and I assure you that if there is anything said about this subject, including the Pastner issue, that I find objectionable I will certainly speak up.

That being said, I personally have issues with the current trend of #metoo, especially when an extended period of time has passed since the alledged event/events were to have occurred. I'm not saying that this woman accusing AG is making a false accusation but I would like to know what the statute of limitations is on a charge like this.
I certainly think more advancement would come of the #metoo stuff if people would start reporting these within an acceptable timeframe to actually investigate. I get someone may feel more threatened when they aren't away from the climate but it doesn't accomplish anything WRT the #metoo movement when you wait 5 years.

Deleted member 2897

I certainly think more advancement would come of the #metoo stuff if people would start reporting these within an acceptable timeframe to actually investigate. I get someone may feel more threatened when they aren't away from the climate but it doesn't accomplish anything WRT the #metoo movement when you wait 5 years.

In my humble opinion, #MeToo ruined the movement. There are thousands of women around the country who are legitimately assaulted with no power or ability to get justice. But then you have 1,000 rich spoiled women in Hollywood who literally enabled people like Weinstein when it benefited their career suddenly throwing hashtags around, because that’s what Hollywood does. We should never tire or get sick of sexual assault reports. That we do shows how terrible the culture over there is. It’s cesspool #2.

jeffgt14

In my humble opinion, #MeToo ruined the movement. There are thousands of women around the country who are legitimately assaulted with no power or ability to get justice. But then you have 1,000 rich spoiled women in Hollywood who literally enabled people like Weinstein when it benefited their career suddenly throwing hashtags around, because that’s what Hollywood does. We should never tire or get sick of sexual assault reports. That we do shows how terrible the culture over there is. It’s cesspool #2.
It's good and bad. Bad because yes we normal people so get tired of it but good because scumbags with loads of money who think think they can do whatever they want are finally getting called out on it.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

From doing a quick Google search, it appears that the Statute of Limitations ranges from 3 to 30 years... depending on which state the crime was committed.

It's good and bad. Bad because yes we normal people so get tired of it but good because scumbags with loads of money who think think they can do whatever they want are finally getting called out on it.
Except that Gotsis was a freshman with no money when this supposedly happened. Now that he has money, she brings it up. Yeah, she's really out for justice....NOT

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want to just dismiss her...it could be true or false, and we shouldn't shut ourselves off from a possible rape victim. If we do, we are a part of the problem.

With that being said, I saw Gotsis' twin sisters(not sure if they're older or younger than him) at football games all the time. They seemed to be very nice. It's just hard to believe, he seems like such a stand up guy.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Side comment, but has a purpose. If you never have sex with anybody other than your husband/wife, you’ll never have to worry about he-says/she-says. I’m not saying they did or didn’t, just food for thought...

Funny, how that advice works out in real life. My father's advice was somewhat more colorful. To wit: "Son, keep your dip stick where it belongs and you will have way fewer problems down the road."

jeffgt14

Just to rephrase this in case it came across bad. I don't believe people are necessarily "tired of hearing about it" I just think for once we'd rather hear a "so and so raped me last week" instead of a "so and so raped me xx years ago". If a crime was committed, I certainly want Justice but when so much time has passed that it's just a he said she said thing, it can get tiresome especially when everyone takes the guilty until proven innocent approach.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Now, now. I think the recent #MeToo movement is based on two things. First and foremost, most women have to really screw their courage to the sticking point to allege a rape. The almost automatic reaction is that "she must have led him on" or something like that. Women of my generation (i.e. the women who accused Roy Moore) rightly fear the damage that will do to their lives and that hasn't changed too much since. This is ye olde double standard at work. Second, I believe it is true that many people swallow abuses of various types to keep their jobs and advance their careers. Women - and not just in Hollywood - are particularly susceptible to a proposed quid pro quo involving sexual advances. This is egregious and should not happen. But to blame women for it isn't just and depending on ye olde double standard to keep safe from their complaints isn't right either.

I don't know what'll happen with Gotsis. My guess is that the charge is too old to stand up to an initial review. That doesn't mean it didn't happen just as the young woman involved said or that his denial isn't true; it may, however, be impossible to prove at this point. But this isn't a matter of salacious sexual rumors. These kinds of thing happen all the time and they shouldn't. It's dishonorable.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
I see a lot of #metoo comments, and I don't want to come across as "insensitive", b/c OMG I would hate to offend someone. However, in today's society when a man is accused of rape it seems that he is often "presummed guilty" and must prove his innocence, which is not how the justice system is supposed to work. I specifically point to the Duke Lacrosse and UVA Rolling Stone case. Personally, I have a VERY HARD TIME finding her credidible since she waited over 5 years to make any report!!