Adam Gotsis and DJ White receive NFL Combine Invites

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Think about this, Keith Marshall @ 4.31, 5'11" 219 lbs. Think he made himself a little money? Waste of talent by the clowns in Athens.
Yes but when you've got the luxury of having Todd Gurley and Nick Chub...how many RB's can you put on the field?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
3. You can put 3 running backs on the field at the same time playing the running back position.
Can you even imagine trying to stop our offense I we had Gurley, Chubb, and Marshall starting at the A/B-backs, especially with a QB like JT? Wow.
When I think about what a super talented AB can do, it always makes me mad to hear people talk about how how you can't get to the NFL from that position. No offense to any of the guys we've had there, but none of them were really athletic standouts, at least compared to NFL backs. If those guys can produce at the level we've seen, just imagine what a guy with elite physical skills could accomplish (looking at you, D-Rob).

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Can you even imagine trying to stop our offense I we had Gurley, Chubb, and Marshall starting at the A/B-backs, especially with a QB like JT? Wow.
When I think about what a super talented AB can do, it always makes me mad to hear people talk about how how you can't get to the NFL from that position. No offense to any of the guys we've had there, but none of them were really athletic standouts, at least compared to NFL backs. If those guys can produce at the level we've seen, just imagine what a guy with elite physical skills could accomplish (looking at you, D-Rob).
So Marshall would be one a back who would you put at the other one. I'm guessing Chubb with Gurley at b back. That would work provided they wanted to block for each other.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
If your O line won't or can't block, nobody can gain much yardage.

Go Jackets!
Same with any offense but yah you're right. We, football fans in general, do pay much to much attention at the skill positions and not enough in the trenches. I think it always been that way.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
So Marshall would be one a back who would you put at the other one. I'm guessing Chubb with Gurley at b back. That would work provided they wanted to block for each other.

Oh hell no, Chubb at BBack and Gurley at ABack along with Marshall. The size and speed of those 2 on the corner? Damn! Chubb doesn't quite the acceleration of those two (not that he is slow by any means!)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Someone posted a video of Adam Gotsis making a hit that someone posted on Twitter. Does anyone know what thread it was in?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Interesting analysis on DJ with cut ups and breakdowns
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/2016-nfl-draft-player-profiles-georgia-tech-cb-d-j-white/

Did you write this @33jacket lol
It’s rare to see a cornerback look so at home in one coverage and yet so lost in another. That is the case with White, time and again. Although he may look like undraftable in off coverage, when it comes time to get in a receiver’s face and be physical, he shines. He is disruptive yet fluid in press coverage, with the ability to either jam the receiver off the line or work his hips back in coverage.

However, it’s even more rare to see a coaching staff so clueless as to how to use their talent. Georgia Tech’s secondary scheming did White no favors, consistently asking him to squat on the first down line and bail even deeper. Part of that has to be on the player to react and play up, but equal blame must go to the coaches for putting their secondary in the position to carry that out. It’s a night and day difference when White gets to play up on a receiver versus 5-7 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Interesting analysis on DJ with cut ups and breakdowns
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02/2016-nfl-draft-player-profiles-georgia-tech-cb-d-j-white/

Did you write this @33jacket lol
Good find 'Ballin. There is some stuff in that write up that I agree with and stuff that I challenge. Describing White as slow makes me giggle. In any case, his electronically timed numbers are there now, so the 40 time (whatever it is worth) is published. By that metric he was very competitive with the rest of the draftable field. However, I will add that I think he is faster than his 40 time once he is in motion. Remember Deion Sanders? He had really good 40 times, BUT, he was also effectively the fastest corner to ever play, suggesting his 40 times don't tell the whole story. This is mostly because his type of speed doesn't neccessarily show up in the 40 time. Knowing a player's top speed is important too, not just how well they start (which is a major factor in a 40 time). I am NOT TRYING TO SAY that DJ is as fast as Deion. I am saying I believe his top speed is very good.

The part I agree with is DJ's struggles playing zone defense. He has consistently been really good pressing his man and turning and running when he has too. In fact, I would say complementing his ability to play man defense contradicts the complaints about his speed. How can a slow footed DB excel like this without benefit of cushion? Nobody (especially 180 pounders) consistently jams receivers that well. Sometimes I think these guys writing this stuff up just have to have something to say. In any case, not playing well in zone is an issue that can be rectified through practice and education. The NFL has a ton more practice time and players don't have classes. If he can cover alone in space, he can learn to play zone well.

DJ plays very physical for his size and he is a good tackler. However, there is no denying, he is a little light in the pants. In my mind, that is his weakest attribute that lowers his draft status. They comment about his low tackling in the write up. Well, of course he tackles low, he has to, giving away size like that against some of the bigger kids. I glad he did because he got guys on the ground.

I am not a draft guru, but I would concur that middle rounds sounds about right. I know some don't agree with me, but I say DJ White sticks on an NFL roster and has a decent career.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
Gotsis physical measurements are quite impressive. A bit of a tweener perhaps, but it seems like his skill set would be better utilized in Dan Quinn's D than a 3-4. His film is impressive. His physical measurements are impressive. Had he not hurt his knee, I wonder what his agility, speed, and quickness numbers would have been. Anywho, I think Gotsis has high upside in the NFL. http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/7162/

D.J. White's closest comparison based on combine data? Joe Haden. http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/7952/position/22/

& b/c it never gets old, here are #WRU comparisons:

Bebe http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/3994/
Smelter http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4815/
Waller http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4818/
Calvin http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/1573/
Hill http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/121/

^ Seems like being really tall, really big, and having really big hands combined with top-end speed is a recipe for success at WR.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Another write up Redskin writer. Assuming these were wrote pre combine
Washington Redskins 2016 Draft Profiles: D.J. White, CB
By Cadillactica on Feb 25, 2016, 8:30a 7

usa-today-8811543.0.jpg

RVR Photos-USA TODAY Sports

Hogs Haven takes a look at 2016 NFL Draft prospects that could contribute to the Redskins.

 TWEET SHARE (55)
D.J. White, CB
School: Georgia Tech | Conference: ACC
College Experience: Senior | Age: 22
Height / Weight: 5-11 / 188 lbs
Projected Draft Status: 3rd or 4th Round
NFL Comparison: Kyle Arrington

College Statistics

Screen_Shot_2016-02-18_at_9.01.55_PM.0.png

Player Overview
D.J. White isn't the strongest, biggest, or fastest but the guy knows how to play the cornerback position. He plays with good game speed, he comes out of his back peddle and can change direction with good fluidity, and he had excellent instincts at the position and he has good hands to intercept or break up a pass. White tracks the ball in the air and reads the receiver very well, though he may not have elite physical traits he more than makes up for that with his smarts. White isn't afraid to come up to the line of scrimmage and take on the run either. He plays with great effort and energy running across the field to bring down ball carriers. D.J. isn't being talked about nearly enough in my view he's in the top 10 on my list of cornerbacks in this draft class. White plays with swag, confidence, effort and smarts he's been a leader on Georgia Tech's defense for the past two years.

Strengths
  • Great awareness when the ball is in the air, can match receivers stride for stride and position himself to contest the catch.
  • Plays with confidence White isn't afraid to go up against a 5'9" slot receiver or a 6'3" outside he has the instinct and fluidity and play speed to stick with both.
  • Plays with hustle White will attempt to chase down a ball carrier or come across the field to stop a guy.
  • Solid tackler, he's fundamentally sound and isn't hesitant to come up and take down a guy.
  • Great instincts for the position make up for what he may be lacking physically.

Weaknesses
  • Has average size for the mold of the new NFL cornerback.
  • Limited ability to recover if beaten deep by a throw.
  • Clearly more gifted at playing man to man coverage as opposed to zone.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The difference in teams talent levels can only be evaluated by coaches.
And, has anyone else noticed how the talent level differences seem to play out? Everyone can point to a particular team, like Alabama, where the talent level just seems head and shoulders over most other teams. And everyone can point to a particular player, like Deshaun Watson, who seems to stand out above other players at his position. But for most teams, and most players, the differences in talent levels seem nuanced and only measurable, at best, in fractions. Or, to put it another way, for most college players the talent level differences are not that great.

The measurable difference on the field seems to come down to coaching and a player's individual drive to succeed. And, the difference between a won game and a lost game, is often quite small. I wish I could remember the coach and where I heard the comment last year, but one coach said that most college games are not about who is going to win but who is going to avoid losing and that is the difference in most college games.