Adam Gotsis and DJ White receive NFL Combine Invites

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
How ready is Gotsis expected to be for drills at the combine? He had a similar injury to Smelter's at a similar time last year, and he was there for interviews only. I'd hope Gotsis gets a chance to show his athleticism, he'd kill it in the drills for a DE/DT.

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
How ready is Gotsis expected to be for drills at the combine? He had a similar injury to Smelter's at a similar time last year, and he was there for interviews only. I'd hope Gotsis gets a chance to show his athleticism, he'd kill it in the drills for a DE/DT.
He won't be ready for drills other than bench press. He's mostly there to get measured and to have team doctors check out his knee to see how well it's coming along.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Heck if he can get a decade in "the league" he should have a heck of a pension/insurance package.

Link with some Gotsis info -
Gotsis is a 6-foot-4, 287-pound defensive tackle from Australia..
The NFL.com scouting report on Gotsiscompares him with Jeff Zgonina, who spent 17 seasons in the NFL as a (mostly backup) defensive lineman and special-teams player....
“Gotsis is on schedule to play next season provided his medicals check out at the combine. As a two-down player likely to come out on passing downs, there is a ceiling on his draft value, but he should be a solid backup with eventual starter potential.”

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Heck if he can get a decade in "the league" he should have a heck of a pension/insurance package.

Link with some Gotsis info -
Gotsis is a 6-foot-4, 287-pound defensive tackle from Australia..
The NFL.com scouting report on Gotsiscompares him with Jeff Zgonina, who spent 17 seasons in the NFL as a (mostly backup) defensive lineman and special-teams player....
“Gotsis is on schedule to play next season provided his medicals check out at the combine. As a two-down player likely to come out on passing downs, there is a ceiling on his draft value, but he should be a solid backup with eventual starter potential.”
I don't know why they'd think Gotsis should come out on passing downs as a 2 down player, he was a hell of a pass rusher here playing out of position (against his natural SDE skill set). He's got all the athletic ability you could ever want, get him some more practice with pass rush moves (no class = unlimited practice time) and he reminds me of JJ Watt.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I don't know why they'd think Gotsis should come out on passing downs as a 2 down player, he was a hell of a pass rusher here playing out of position (against his natural SDE skill set). He's got all the athletic ability you could ever want, get him some more practice with pass rush moves (no class = unlimited practice time) and he reminds me of JJ Watt.

Assuming that Gotsis is projected by many as a 3-4 DE, on passing downs most 3-4 teams go to a 2-4-5 or 2-3-6 and based on Gotsis current weight they don't see him as an ideal interior DLineman

Milwaukee

Banned
Happy for DJ. I just think he's a great athlete that will fly under the radar; better instincts than Lou Young in my opinion. Takes some really risky chances, which is more and more rare in today's game, but the right coach loves that big play mentality under the right circumstances.

Good luck 28.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Combine schedule and link...

Wednesday, Feb. 24
» Media interviews for running backs, offensive linemen and special teamers

Thursday, Feb. 25
» Media interviews for quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends

Friday, Feb. 26
» Media interviews for defensive linemen and linebackers
» On-field workouts for running backs, offensive linemen and special teamers

Saturday, Feb. 27
» Media interviews for defensive backs
» On-field workouts for quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends

Sunday, Feb. 28
» On-field workouts for defensive linemen and linebackers

Monday, Feb. 29
» On-field workouts for defensive backs

http://www.nfl.com/combine

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
DAY 3 ARRIVALS*: Group 7 (DL), Group 8 (DL), Group 9 (LB)

Thursday
February 25, 2016 Travel to Indianapolis* ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews
Friday
February 26, 2016 Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews
Saturday
February 27, 2016 NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews
Sunday
February 28, 2016 On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis
DAY 4 ARRIVALS: Group 10 (DB), Group 11 (DB)

Friday
February 26, 2016 Travel to Indianapolis ~ Registration ~ Hospital Pre-Exam & X-rays ~ Orientation ~ Interviews
Saturday
February 27, 2016 Measurements ~ Medical Examinations ~ Media ~ Interviews
Sunday
February 28, 2016 NFLPA Meeting ~ Psychological Testing ~ Bench Press ~ Interviews
Monday
February 29, 2016 On-Field Workout (timing, stations, skill drills) ~ Departure from Indianapolis

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Assuming that Gotsis is projected by many as a 3-4 DE, on passing downs most 3-4 teams go to a 2-4-5 or 2-3-6 and based on Gotsis current weight they don't see him as an ideal interior DLineman

this and you don't know what you don't know. There is so little tape of him playing enough in a 4-3 SDE alignment that its hard to project his pass rushing capability from his 3 Tech spot.

IMO; its a tad unknown that the measureables will help project (cone drills and 0-5 and 0-10 yard splits on running). When you play the 3 tech your rush gap is boxed and you often fight 2 OL. You just don't employ the same rush technique, its power and rips....at end you learn more, which he hasn't...yet....or perfected much....

So I agree with that. Right now today, he is a 2 down DL. Remember these are draft assessments....Also guys in college that are inside, moving to the outside in the NFL...TOUGH to do.

JJ watt is a bit of a off comparison IMO. And way too lofty...unrealistic. Watt was an end in college.

I think Gotsis is more like a Brett Keisel

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think AG is so intriguing as an NFL prospect because, here's a guy we pulled out of Australia of all places, making videos of himself doing OL footwork, then steadily improves each year until he's a top DL in the ACC. His body seems to be able to go either way in terms of bulking up or trimming down, he will obviously learn whatever position he needs to, he's intelligent, coachable, and very athletic. He may struggle at first to figure out his perfect spot along the DL, but I'm willing to bet numerous teams are hoping they can snag him as a high value pick that they won't have to spend first round money on.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
14 questions with Georgia Tech’s Adam Gotsis
By D. Orlando Ledbetter - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Posted: 2:20 p.m. Friday, Feb. 26, 2016

INDIANAPOLIS — Georgia Tech defensive tackle Adam Gotsis, who is recovering from knee surgery, is planning on just interview with NFL teams at the scouting combine.

Here’s what he had to say on Friday:

Q: Did you ever imagine yourself at an event let this five years ago?
A: To be honest, even like five years ago I probably wouldn’t have thought that I’d be playing college football. Let along being at the combine. It shows what hard work and dedication can do. I did that and it’s paying off.

Q: I read something where you saw a flyer for Georgia Tech when you were 13. Is that what put them on your radar?
A: I saw a flyer to play American football. That was in Australian and it was local rec league. I ended up going down there and played a little. Then one of my coaches there played for my head coach in college (Paul Johnson) back in the 80s at like in Hawaii. He was actually looking for a kicker. My coach was like I have this kid that’s 6-foot-5 and he’s a pretty athletic guy.

Q: Should there be more scouting for American football players in Australia?
A: I think the biggest thing is these kids grow up playing Australian rules football and rugby. They get to such an elite level at that sport that it’s hard to walk away from that to go back to not even knowing anything about another sport. That’s the biggest challenge. How do you get guys to leave being the best in their sport to not even knowing the other sport. That’s why you see more professional guys like Jarryd Hayne and other Aussie Rules players come over because they are already high up in their sports, they’re the best of the best. They are looking for another challenge.

Q: Have you spent any time here with the other Aussies here?
A: I haven’t seen any of them yet.

Q: How did you choose how you wanted to train for the combine?
A: I tore my ACL late last year. The biggest thing for me is being comfortable with my strength stuff. So I chose to just train at Georgia Tech. They know my body and they know how I work. It was just the right choice.

Q: How’s your knee doing?
A: I’m still in recovery. I’m just three months out. It’s still a long ways to go. It’s feeling good and I’m just working everyday. It’s a day by day thing.

Q: Are you working out every day?
A: Yes. I’ll work up until hopefully I get on a team and they I’ll transition to my team and complete my rehab there.

Q: There are a lot of defensive tackles here. What separates you from the group?
A: I think I have a lot of upside. That’s a big thing for me. I’ve only played four years of really high level football. I came in as a true freshman and ended up playing 12 games. For a kid who’s never really played semi-professional at a high level. That was a big thing and showed how quickly that I developed into a player. I think just my upside is huge. Hopefully a team can see that in me. They can see that the production that I put (out there) for a guy who is still really learning a lot of ins and outs of this game.

Q: Will you be ready by training camp?
A: In my head, I think that I’ll be 100 percent by August. That’s in my head. As an ACL goes there are different phases for that injury. You just have to handle each phase and take it day by day.

Q: What are you going to do here?
A: I’m just going to interview and talk with teams. I’m going to bench at my Pro Day on March 18. It just gives me another three weeks to rehab. I feel like I’ll put up a big number there.

Q: You saw a guy like Todd Gurley injure his ACL last year coming into the NFL. Is that something that has changed the recovery timeline for a lot of guys?
A: Yeah. Him and Adrian Peterson. These guys have come back in nine or 10 months. It just shows that modern day medicine is insane. It doesn’t matter what injury or anything you have, they can fix it and you can come back bigger and better. I think that just shows if you really work hard… .I’m sure those guys were in there every day rehabbing until they couldn’t rehab anymore. I’m going through that at the moment. It’s a grind. If you something and you’re passionate about it, you do it.

Q: What’s more taxing, the physical or the mental side of it?
A: It’s both. You have to go there with the right mindset every day. It’s all about positivity. If you go in there with an negativity in mind, you’re going to struggle. You’re going to have days where it drags and you have to fight and get through it. Once that clock hits midnight it’s a new day. Everything resets and you have to do it again. It’s both. If you are mentally strong and willing to push yourself to a different level, then you can be alright.

Q: What are you strengths as a player?
A: I definitely think my ability to get in the backfield, making negative plays. Just being able to play anywhere across the front if they need me whether if it’s a five-technique or three-technique…I think I fit any system. I’m very versatile. I have a high motor. I bring a lot to the table.

Q: What was the most difficult part adjusting to the American game?
A: We went from Australia to have two plays on defense to coming here and having 100 different plays on defense. You have to pick up that. We went from barely any playbook in Australia to having a full playbook here. ..Then also just the speed of the game.