AD sabotage the football program

Deleted member 2897

I wonder if GT happens to hire a well known coach like Gus Malzahn that the ACC will show GT more repect in kickoff times and the bye weeks other teams happen to get before playing GT?

Well we’d never get approval to pay that salary, but it’s an interesting question nonetheless.

Scubapro

Banned
There is a reason that Swinney continues to fight off any attempt by any sport to occupy part of the new football facility, and there have been several kind of half-*** efforts. What he tells the AD -- who is on board with him for obvious reasons -- and the chancell0r is that he will help any sport raise money for their facility which he contends is unmatched in bonding a team. They just can't move in with the football team. Every recruit swoons over it -- the slide is a big deal apparently -- and football is the leading element of campus growth and student enrollment toward a goal of 30,000. it's now about 18,000 and was 13,000 not that long ago. Multiply each of those students by $1,800 a credit hour and you get the idea of what football means to the school. And to that end, Swinney keeps his facilities for a reason. Can Tech raise that kind of money? Or does it even want to? I don't know and I am not suggesting they should ... but that is the competition out there.

This x100. Football is a huge marketing tool and schools like Clemson understand how powerful it can be if utilized correctly.
One of the main issues for the GTAA is that Tech has a line of overly qualified students wrapping around 285 wanting to attend classes here....this and a $1.8B endowment. The hill doesn't recognize the need for a top notch athletic department for advertising. The school is doing well without it.
Now, as far as sabotage...that's a strong word...I never saw Rodokovich or Boobinski setting explosive charges under BDS or the 5th street bridge but I never saw them do us many favors either. Oh that goes for Braine as well. I am still wondering how much kick back he got from Gomer and Pauley for those FAT contracts...maybe we should do some forensic accounting on his investments.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
This x100. Football is a huge marketing tool and schools like Clemson understand how powerful it can be if utilized correctly.
One of the main issues for the GTAA is that Tech has a line of overly qualified students wrapping around 285 wanting to attend classes here....this and a $1.8B endowment. The hill doesn't recognize the need for a top notch athletic department for advertising. The school is doing well without it.

I sometimes wonder if the folks who run GT were beat up by UGA-bound jocks when in middle school. GT is shooting itself in the foot when it comes to athletics (not just in football), and the person holding the gun is some old, out-of-touch twerp in a circa 1950's GT sweatshirt.

Everything we do should be top-notch, and that includes athletics.

Milwaukee

Banned
I sometimes wonder if the folks who run GT were beat up by UGA-bound jocks when in middle school. GT is shooting itself in the foot when it comes to athletics (not just in football), and the person holding the gun is some old, out-of-touch twerp in a circa 1950's GT sweatshirt.

Everything we do should be top-notch, and that includes athletics.

This may be the most accurate post ever on Swarm.

LibertyTurns

Banned
As an edit: The donor who offered to fund a new locker room, and was turned down by previous AD, this donor just said “ok, fine” and walked away without raising hell about GT NOT accepting his $?
Of course that’s not how this happened. MBozo probably thought he could slow walk the process for some reason & the donor lost patience and later gave him the finger. Happens all the time in business with big egos, power trips & high net worth people at the decision point/ controlling the purse strings. Those relationships require a special touch & I don’t think anyone on this board would hold him out to be even average at any aspect of his job. Personally, I put this in the highly likely to have happened pile.

Animal02

Banned
Of course that’s not how this happened. MBozo probably thought he could slow walk the process for some reason & the donor lost patience and later gave him the finger. Happens all the time in business with big egos, power trips & high net worth people at the decision point/ controlling the purse strings. Those relationships require a special touch & I don’t think anyone on this board would hold him out to be even average at any aspect of his job. Personally, I put this in the highly likely to have happened pile.
Or possibly tried to steer some money to another pet project. Seen that happen a time or two.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Or possibly tried to steer some money to another pet project. Seen that happen a time or two.
That’s certainly another likely option. Combined with Peterson’s ineffective stewardship over the Institute & most acutely his negative influence over GT athletics our sports programs suffered immensely due to this combination of significantly inept leaders.

Deleted member 2897

That’s certainly another likely option. Combined with Peterson’s ineffective stewardship over the Institute & most acutely his negative influence over GT athletics our sports programs suffered immensely due to this combination of significantly inept leaders.

I’ve had 1 personal interaction with Peterson ever. We were at the night before the bowl game social dinner, and as he was moving around chatting with people, he ended up with us for a couple minutes. I was with my wife and teenager and middle schooler, all decked out in Tech stuff of course. He learned we both went to Tech and met there etc etc. at one point he asked if our kids were coming to Tech, and I joked “it depends what kind of scholarships we can get” in a humorous “you’re Bud Peterson yo hook us up” kind of banter. He turned and walked away. It was the weirdest autistic anti-social personality thing I have seen in a setting like that. My wife and I looked at each other like “wow, did that just happen?” He is a unique bird. If I later learned he had emergency uncontrollable diarrhea that night I would be less surprised.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This is 110% true by the way...had not thought of this in ages. haha

What did you say, if anything about it then?

I ask this not to criticize you, but back then I and several other posters were called out (and even called liars) for criticizing, pointing out or mocking that travesty.

Almost as if to say "How dare you say anything negative" about what is going on at GTAA.

I wonder how many criticizing us back then are now on the how horrible a thing it was for MBob to do that now?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I wish we had more funding for baseball. That is a sport which we should be top 20 every year given our academics and location. Most people don't care about baseball but it was and could be a jewel again.

.........One of the main issues for the GTAA is that Tech has a line of overly qualified students wrapping around 285 wanting to attend classes here....this and a $1.8B endowment. The hill doesn't recognize the need for a top notch athletic department for advertising. The school is doing well without it.........

The Hill/GT Alumni Association doesn't need athletics. We have more than enough kids applying. Their only challenge is how to extract as much endowments as they can without endangering the academic branding.

Animal02

Banned
I’ve had 1 personal interaction with Peterson ever. We were at the night before the bowl game social dinner, and as he was moving around chatting with people, he ended up with us for a couple minutes. I was with my wife and teenager and middle schooler, all decked out in Tech stuff of course. He learned we both went to Tech and met there etc etc. at one point he asked if our kids were coming to Tech, and I joked “it depends what kind of scholarships we can get” in a humorous “you’re Bud Peterson yo hook us up” kind of banter. He turned and walked away. It was the weirdest autistic anti-social personality thing I have seen in a setting like that. My wife and I looked at each other like “wow, did that just happen?” He is a unique bird. If I later learned he had emergency uncontrollable diarrhea that night I would be less surprised.
He caught on you were a lowly leech...not a potential donor.:D

Deleted member 2897

He caught on you were a lowly leech...not a potential donor.:D

I don’t think I give a lot of money. Honestly I think it’s pretty small given everything. But I think I’m in the top 6% of alumni or something. If the other 94% gave the small amount I did, a lot of our problems would be less bad. Plus with our smiles and gesticulations, it was an obvious joke. I know you were kidding and not implying that for real, but I just wanted to point out how weird his behavior was.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
GTRI has a revenue of $370 million, mostly from DoD contracts and grants. That's over 50% of Clemson's ENTIRE endowment. Yeah football and tuition make money, but the people in charge know what the cash cow is. Will easier majors and dropping calc requirments hurt us academically and hurt our prestige? Unlikely. Is anyone in their right mind going to mess with a good thing when those kinds of numbers are on the line? Hell no.

alagold

Helluva Engineer

I've been told Bud's answer to a question about helping athletics was "if you think I'm going to change this school to cater to a few hundred athletes you are very mistaken".This was told to a BIG giver.

Animal02

Banned
I don’t think I give a lot of money. Honestly I think it’s pretty small given everything. But I think I’m in the top 6% of alumni or something. If the other 94% gave the small amount I did, a lot of our problems would be less bad. Plus with our smiles and gesticulations, it was an obvious joke. I know you were kidding and not implying that for real, but I just wanted to point out how weird his behavior was.
Not implying that about you....but yes about Bud. My wife is a proof and U of Mich. Chancellors / Presidents are all about raising money. If he thought he could get big bucks out of you, he would have stayed.
BTW, had a similar encounter with him at the pregame tailgate in Pittsburgh a few years ago.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I wish we had more funding for baseball. That is a sport which we should be top 20 every year given our academics and location. Most people don't care about baseball but it was and could be a jewel again.

The Hill/GT Alumni Association doesn't need athletics. We have more than enough kids applying. Their only challenge is how to extract as much endowments as they can without endangering the academic branding.

You realize that this is also exactly the case at ugag now?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been told Bud's answer to a question about helping athletics was "if you think I'm going to change this school to cater to a few hundred athletes you are very mistaken".This was told to a BIG giver.

This is what is so frustrating to me: that Bud misses the point. The point should not be to cater to a few hundred athletes.

It should simply be this: WE EXCEL AT EVERYTHING WE DO AT GT.

What's wrong with having a kid being an All-ACC safety and a Rhodes scholar while playing in a high-tech, top-notch facility with a holistic approach to athletic performance based on nutrition, training, and education?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

THIS, as much as anything else, shows what a moron Peterson is.

How is “catering ( which is a non sequitur of the highest order) to a few hundred athletes” going to change the whole darn school?

Run for the hills boys - all your diplomas are useless.

Your God given talents no longer exist. Nor your ability to achieve through hard work.

“Change the school.” What a load of crap.

How in Heavens name do any of you folks that claim to love GT not think this kind of thinking is a total disgrace to everything good GT has ever stood for for over a century?

The biggest change that needs to happen, not only for those attending football games, but just visiting our school is to be issued a giant air sickness bag upon arrival.

Those not fighting this crap are hurting GT to no end.