AD sabotage the football program

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If those things had happened in industry the CEO would likely be removed. GT relies heavily on contributions and grants. If those funds are squandered then management has failed.

Only if you look at the industry as solely the athletic association. The athletic budget is somewhere close to $80 million. The university budget is somewhere close to $1.7 billion. The university budget has increased by about 60-70% in the last then years. Athletics is less than 5% of the budget of the university. It isn't apples to apples comparing the athletic association(a small part of GT) with an overall corporation. It would be more like firing Tim Cook because Macintosh sales have not been great lately.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
One stat that could impact your numbers.
Govt student loans that are disconnected from financial reality = tidal wave of demand.

There are many reasons that applications and enrollment have increased greatly. At Baylor they have had athletic success. Baylor's enrollment increased by about 14% from 2010 to 2017. Is that because of athletics? Well, Rice's(another Texas school) increased by about 20% from 2010 to 2017. What great athletic success has Rice had to power that enrollment increase? If athletics is the main, or even a significant, cause of enrollment increases, then why don't we see a downward or stagnant trend at schools without great athletic success?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
You can’t tell me that an individual that dedicated so much of his life to become an elite athlete cannot be tutored to learn whatever academic hurdle we could throw in front of him/her given extra assistance/tutoring. Give them help, not punish them for not being like the others. Screwing with them on class times, not allowing test/quiz reschedules is complete bull & those academic elites like Peterson know it.

That would help. We should applaud/admire our student athletes not have our leadership look down their noses at them like they’re some kind of second class citizens.

Does anyone have a concrete example where a student-athlete has been shafted in terms of test-scheduling? I have seen countless anecdotal remarks about profs not allowing athletes to reschedule, but no one has ever provided a concrete example, that I have seen.

For the record, Georgia Tech's official attendance policy requires faculty to allow reasonable makeup opportunities for all course assignments that are missed due to participation in Institute-sponsored activities—explicitly including athletics (http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/rules/4/):

Students who are absent because of participation in approved Institute activities (such as field trips, professional conferences, and athletic events) will be permitted to make up the work missed during their absences. Approval of such activities will be granted by the Student Academic and Financial Affairs Committee of the Academic Senate, and statements of the approved absence may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. Course instructors are responsible for establishing reasonable deadlines and/or make-up materials for the missed work, and for clearly communicating this information to the relevant student(s), when absences for Institute activities are approved.
  1. Student Responsibilities
    1. Individual students requesting approval from the Student Academic and Financial Affairs Committee are expected to do so at least two weeks before their requested absences;
    2. Students are expected to inform their instructors about their approved absence by the end of the class meeting immediately following receipt of their approval notice.
  2. Course Instructor Responsibilities
    1. Course instructors receiving timely notification of student absence (as outlined above) are expected to establish reasonable deadlines and/or make-up materials for missed work, and for clearly communicating this information to the relevant student(s).
The only possible sticking-point I can see would be if the student does not provide sufficient advance notice—but in my experience, most faculty recognize that there can be administrative delays between making a request and receiving formal approval, and would not nit-pick a "two week" notice deadline. I've personally excused student-athletes without receiving the official excuse letter, based on the understanding that the approval was "in the pipeline". And in fact, the AA is usually right on top of the notification requirement, since they know their event schedules at the start of the term. With student-athletes, I typically get Registrar-approved absence notices, for the full semester, within the second week of classes.

In my experience as a faculty member, the claim that profs, or the administration, are treating student-athletes as "second-class citizens" is a bunch of hoo-hah.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
In my experience as a faculty member, the claim that profs, or the administration, are treating student-athletes as "second-class citizens" is a bunch of hoo-hah.
I didn’t play at GT , so I Can’t speak about GT. I ran a couple of profs that did treat athletes as second class citizens. We were told who to avoid and if you couldn’t avoid that prof you kept it a secret as long as possible that you played a sport.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone have a concrete example where a student-athlete has been shafted in terms of test-scheduling? I have seen countless anecdotal remarks about profs not allowing athletes to reschedule, but no one has ever provided a concrete example, that I have seen.

For the record, Georgia Tech's official attendance policy requires faculty to allow reasonable makeup opportunities for all course assignments that are missed due to participation in Institute-sponsored activities—explicitly including athletics (http://www.catalog.gatech.edu/rules/4/):

Students who are absent because of participation in approved Institute activities (such as field trips, professional conferences, and athletic events) will be permitted to make up the work missed during their absences. Approval of such activities will be granted by the Student Academic and Financial Affairs Committee of the Academic Senate, and statements of the approved absence may be obtained from the Office of the Registrar. Course instructors are responsible for establishing reasonable deadlines and/or make-up materials for the missed work, and for clearly communicating this information to the relevant student(s), when absences for Institute activities are approved.
  1. Student Responsibilities
    1. Individual students requesting approval from the Student Academic and Financial Affairs Committee are expected to do so at least two weeks before their requested absences;
    2. Students are expected to inform their instructors about their approved absence by the end of the class meeting immediately following receipt of their approval notice.
  2. Course Instructor Responsibilities
    1. Course instructors receiving timely notification of student absence (as outlined above) are expected to establish reasonable deadlines and/or make-up materials for missed work, and for clearly communicating this information to the relevant student(s).
The only possible sticking-point I can see would be if the student does not provide sufficient advance notice—but in my experience, most faculty recognize that there can be administrative delays between making a request and receiving formal approval, and would not nit-pick a "two week" notice deadline. I've personally excused student-athletes without receiving the official excuse letter, based on the understanding that the approval was "in the pipeline". And in fact, the AA is usually right on top of the notification requirement, since they know their event schedules at the start of the term. With student-athletes, I typically get Registrar-approved absence notices, for the full semester, within the second week of classes.

Any thoughts on reports that CPJ & TStan ( maybe it was MBob) had to meet with a prof who had proclaimed (WTTE) that he did not want football players “infecting” his class with their presence?

slugboy

Staff member
Mbob will be up against it when Purdue football coach Jeff Brohm leaves Purdue for his Alma Mater Louisville when Bobby Petrino is cut loose in December

I don’t know how they’d make the finances work on this, unless they put Papa John’s back on the stadium. Even then, I’m not sure—huge buyout.

But it looks possible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk