AD sabotage the football program

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’m pretty sure this rumor was on Twitter? If so he was talking about something on a pay site. I’ll give the short answer since this part was posted on Twitter, but CPJ was turned down twice for coaches that could have made a major difference at GT. Basically the same thing we have heard, that CPJ was not given the resources needed to win consistently.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No you're right. It's all the administrations fault. We should never fire Johnson. Any struggles are clearly not because of him or his staff, unless it's the DC, then these things don't apply. When he retires, promote from within. Don't worry if we've not made a bowl in 5 years if that's the case. That's not the fault of the coaching staff, and this is the one and only system that can possibly succeed.
I think you majorly underestimate how resources given to a coach can be a make it or break it type of deal, it’s all depending on what they are given. Is CPJ to blame some? yes, but probably not as much as you think, or as little as others think. I’ll put it this way, I don’t believe you would think it’s fair if you were the manager of a company and was expected to compete in sales against another company that sells the same thing, yet they have double or triple the resources to help be successful.

Animal02

Banned
I think you majorly underestimate how resources given to a coach can be a make it or break it type of deal, it’s all depending on what they are given. Is CPJ to blame some? yes, but probably not as much as you think, or as little as others think. I’ll put it this way, I don’t believe you would think it’s fair if you were the manager of a company and was expected to compete in sales against another company that sells the same thing, yet they have double or triple the resources to help be successful.
Not to mention that you have a third of the product offering that your competition has, plus the product is a premium on the high end of the competition....but some people will only blame the manager. :rolleyes:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's all players and coaches in the end, right?

Let me ask you guys this...if we had twice the budget do you think we would have different faces on our coaching staff with the same head coach? I'm not so sure...

Would our talent be significantly better? I'm not so sure...

Look I get we need the money, but money isn't the only problem here. I think for whatever our coach is having some serious problems getting results out of players that are good enough to compete in this division.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Denial.....not just a river in Egypt.
The fact remains, TECH spending in football WRT our competition has decreased. Of the public schools reporting.....only UVA spends less per player. Sure VT's spending increase is on par.....but they started and remain far ahead. You have your head buried deep if you think that spending 20-50K PER PLAYER less is going to keep Tech competitive.
It doesn't matter how many facts hit you over the head....you want to play only the HC, and will spin everything to advance your narrative.
Again we have Dom Perpignan taste on a Natty Light budget. I’m not sure what business everyone else is in but if I’m way underspending my competition in every area I’ve got no chance of winning the game. Maybe it’s different in football or many seem to think?

Animal02

Banned

Let me ask you guys this...if we had twice the budget do you think we would have different faces on our coaching staff with the same head coach? I'm not so sure...

Look I get we need the money, but money isn't the only problem here. I think for whatever our coach is having some serious problems getting results out of players that are good enough to compete in this division.
With more money....more recruiting staff for starters........
This is where I fault CPJ....when he first came to Tech, he thought he could just recruit and compete in the south., Instead of insisting on the $$_ from the start to compete nationally

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’m pretty sure this rumor was on Twitter? If so he was talking about something on a pay site. I’ll give the short answer since this part was posted on Twitter, but CPJ was turned down twice for coaches that could have made a major difference at GT. Basically the same thing we have heard, that CPJ was not given the resources needed to win consistently.

Assuming this is true, which I have no reason to believe otherwise, I wonder how it has impacted CPJ and his approach to his job? From my personal experience, if I have worked hard to achieve a goal and finally reach the point where I need "X" in capital or resources to achieve this, if those things aren't provided then I resign myself to performing at current levels. And, in business - which football has become- if you stay the same, people are passing you by. I left a job once because I was in Paul's shoes. If I had stayed, more than likely I would have been fired. And I wouldn't have cared. So I left before it got to that point. Best career decision I ever made tbh.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

I know for a fact yes to your first question. We have basically been dead last in acc in asst coach spending. Or tied with wake etc. especially this 5-6 years ago. We have had a slight uptick the past year or two. This is one reason why paul has talked about, in the past, matching the program commitment with expectations.

Cpj has had to manage tech through the unprecedented arms race boom. This didn’t happen to this extent prior to cpj

As far as your second question. Not sure immediately, overtime if should if they are well known coaches. I think it may help in spots. But i do think his offense is a big recruiting barrier to overcome. Been saying that for 11 years as always my biggest concern with paul (and OL)

Deleted member 2897

The reason I said sabotage is not the word I would have used, is because that makes it sound intentional. I think it’s probably tight GT budgets and incompetence. And I also think it has nothing to do with CPJ. Had another coach come in here, I’m pretty sure they would have also gradually seen our spending relative to our peers diminish.

Spending on football to me is analogous to ratings in football. In ratings, there is no guarantee that a 5-star will be an amazing player and go to the NFL, but that is generally true. There is a general correlation there. Same with spending – just because you spend the most money doesn’t mean that you will be the best team. And just because you spend the least amount of money doesn’t mean that you’re finishing last. But there is a solid correlating trend there that nobody can deny. To spend at the very bottom with any coaching staff but demand to be above average in recruiting, performance, etc is expecting the near-impossible.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
2) The AD isn't just in charge of football. Over that period we renovated the basketball arena and had to make 2 coaching changes in basketball. So of course the focus for investment was in basketball rather than football. Again, that's not sabotage. That's part of the expected process.

It has been reported that CPJ talked to a donor about the locker room renovation. That donor went to MBob and offered the money for the new locker room, but MBob turned down the donation. If that is true, it isn't a focus on basketball. That is right out denial of assets to the football team.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It has been reported that CPJ talked to a donor about the locker room renovation. That donor went to MBob and offered the money for the new locker room, but MBob turned down the donation. If that is true, it isn't a focus on basketball. That is right out denial of assets to the football team.

It is true

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

And yet in the following article

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-acc-facilities-staff/Osd1O52h9jKquBA87aeN1M/

It was reported

"A locker-room renovation is on the radar for athletic director Mike Bobinski – plans have been drawn up – but the project has not advanced past a planning stage.

“I guess they’re waiting for somebody to fund it,” Johnson said. "

Sure sounds Johnson had a donor lined up that was turned down.

slugboy

Staff member
I had heard that MBob was horrible at fundraising and abrasive to our donors. I don't think we fought hard to keep him.

I suppose it's possible that he did some things intentionally because he wasn't getting along with CPJ, but if anything I'd guess the problems were more negligent than on purpose. That's wild speculation on my part.

Kelly Quinlan seems to have more scuttlebutt, but I don't have access to it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
And yet in the following article

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...-acc-facilities-staff/Osd1O52h9jKquBA87aeN1M/

It was reported

"A locker-room renovation is on the radar for athletic director Mike Bobinski – plans have been drawn up – but the project has not advanced past a planning stage.

“I guess they’re waiting for somebody to fund it,” Johnson said. "

Sure sounds Johnson had a donor lined up that was turned down.

If he didn't have a donor lined up, then it sounds like he didn't have a clue what the status of the project(That he is fighting to get) was.

If he did have a donor lined up that was rejected by the AD, then it sounds like "Go ask the AD why we haven't done the project yet." If that is the case, the without directly making everything public, he was putting pressure on the AD to get it done. Also worth noting that the article you linked to was written right at the time that MBob left. (It was updated on the day it was announced.)

It was within a week or two from the time that CPJ started talking about funding and commitment to the program and when MBob left. Maybe to two are unrelated, but to me it seems more likely that the quotes you posted were because CPJ did indeed find the funding than not.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Spending more on Per Player money will not improve the recruiting generated by our predictable, deciphered, boring 65-rush-plays/game offense. We aren't losing to Duke and Pitt now because of facilities spending, etc. It's a load of crap being spun by those who wish to keep our team in the mid 20th century.

Or could it be because Duke has twice the recruiting staff that GT does, even after GT doubled the staff? Or could it be because other teams have many more general staff members who take non-football planning responsibilities away from their coaches?

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
And you believed that story?
Of ring only believe it , it is true. MBob wanted a bb centered sports program. Johnson was adamant regarding fb as the sport needing funding. MBob intent was to fire Johnson but 2014 and 2016 were too good to take any action. MBob alternate strategy was to quietly cut funding /budget for fb. Johnson “waiting on a donner ” is Johnson code for its on hold. Johnson. Not the first time GTAA had a major issue between fb coach and AD ( O’leary / Braine just one example). George was more personable than Johnson but both are similar in their conducts( my way or highway) We’ve paid a lot of money to ex coaches. This situation affects the immediate present but is all in the past. No use looking back for a guilty party. Present and future are our challenge to build competitive programs across gt athletics . Todd is working hard to bring the GT program back to a competitive level given where we are. He is not promoting decreasing the academics but selling recruits on what we can do within athletics with the bio technologies at gt . Important to look longer term and raise donations to the gtaa fund. Probably shared too much but this is why I don’t post often. Love my gt degree but at this time gt athletics needs more help than the school.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so. The only thing close to"sabotage" I am aware of would be how Radakovich agreed to play Clemson away two years in a row and then coincidentally left to be the AD of Clemson that same year.
Well at one time we did play Clemson in Atlanta like 16 straight years before we entered the ACC.