AD sabotage the football program

Milwaukee

Banned
Look I love Paul, but these conspiracy theories are stupid. He needs to be held accountable for what's happening on the field, I'm sorry if that shakes you up. According to those numbers in 2014 we had the lowest spending per player in the conference...how inconvenent.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Of ring only believe it , it is true. MBob wanted a bb centered sports program. Johnson was adamant regarding fb as the sport needing funding. MBob intent was to fire Johnson but 2014 and 2016 were too good to take any action. MBob alternate strategy was to quietly cut funding /budget for fb. Johnson “waiting on a donner ” is Johnson code for its on hold. Johnson. Not the first time GTAA had a major issue between fb coach and AD ( O’leary / Braine just one example). George was more personable than Johnson but both are similar in their conducts( my way or highway) We’ve paid a lot of money to ex coaches. This situation affects the immediate present but is all in the past. No use looking back for a guilty party. Present and future are our challenge to build competitive programs across gt athletics . Todd is working hard to bring the GT program back to a competitive level given where we are. He is not promoting decreasing the academics but selling recruits on what we can do within athletics with the bio technologies at gt . Important to look longer term and raise donations to the gtaa fund. Probably shared too much but this is why I don’t post often. Love my gt degree but at this time gt athletics needs more help than the school.

I do agree that we need to look forward. I don't have much respect for MBob, but my posts aren't intended to denigrate him. It is to counter people who say that funding and support issues are simply "excuses" for the coaching staff. No matter if CPJ remains the coach or if we get another one, the current state of things is not good enough.

TStan is doing great things. He announced the $125 million, three year fund raising initiative, which seemed aggressive. It is about 30% complete before the end of the first year, so it is on track. The fans need to support the program emotionally and financially. Given where the GTAA is, withholding support is simply going to make things worse regardless of coaches, players, offenses, etc.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
So who were the “offensive” coaches turned down?

Coach West wasn't the first choice when we brought back the 2nd OLine coach. We couldn't match Miami for the guy (I think Searals?)

I also can't imagine that Ray Rychelski was a first choice. It might have been a timing thing, but he didn't strike me as a CPJ type coach. He seemed lost about 75% of the time.

RiseUpATL

Banned
I can see all this I truly can. I know the struggles with the AD. We are certainly behind. However, when I compartmentalize this to just football I still do not like what I see.

Let’s start with recruiting, we have the following class rankings compared with Duke, Pitt, UNC, UVA and VT:

GT Duke Pitt UNC UVA VT
2003 38 86 47 18 11 27
2004 48 67 42 28 37 34
2005 70 55 46 49 17 20
2006 62 51 16 26 77 31
2007 15 77 21 10 28 26
2008 51 67 20 30 56 18
2009 41 54 43 12 33 25
2010 43 73 31 23 74 28
2011 43 63 62 18 23 35
2012 53 62 43 41 25 21
2013 70 71 32 28 29 21
2014 54 61 44 30 33 28
2015 44 52 46 28 50 29
2016 60 33 30 32 63 42
2017 48 47 37 29 58 26
2018 53 62 46 20 60 24

So over 16 years here are my observations as compared to some other "like" programs:

GT - AVG ranking of 50. About what I expected. Over the first 8 years our average ranking was 46. Over the last 8 years it's 53. If you take out the obvious outlier year of 2007, the first 8 years is 51 vs. 53 over the last 8 years. If I am to believe the ongoing thought that we have fallen further behind in recruiting staff and thus recruiting, then I look to the data and the numbers simply to do not prove that out. We have stayed almost exactly where have been over 16 years. Our worst class in recent history is 70. We also had a 70th ranked class in 2005. We have only recruiting sub 50 in 7 of the last 16 years, the two most recent classes in 2015 and 2017 which is kinda surprising given our records over those years. Further, based on the "sabatoge" and severe money slide compared to other "like" programs I would expect the average classes of the other programs analyzed to result in improved classes in recent years vs. past years. So let's look at the data. Let's start in 2009. PJ's first full recruiting class. That's 10 years. Over the first 5 years GT had an average class of 50 (again, not surprising). Over the last 5 years we have had an average class of 52. Duke had 65 vs 51; Pitt had 42 vs. 41; UNC had 24 vs 28; VT had 26 vs. 30. Some surprising results here, namely Duke. Duke has improved its recruiting by 14 spots in the last 5 years. Pitt has stayed exactly the same, similar to GT. UNC has slid 4 spots, same as VT.

Duke - pretty consistent. In the Mid-60's in terms of classes. Had some decent classes sprinkled in there, namely 2016 with a 33 rank. Duke out-recruited GT in 2005, 2006, 2016 and 2017. So Chan got out-recurited by Duke twice and PJ has been out-recruited twice.

Pitt - Very consistently in the low 40's. They had some top 25 classes in the mid to late 2000's which surprised me a bit. But over PJ's tenure very much low 40's. Hasn't changed much.

UNC - Surprising to see them ranked so highly year over year.

UVA - Probably the biggest wasters of talent of the teams listed. My god. If any fanbase has a right to be pissed off it's them. Particularly over the first half of the analysis. The second half they are around 53, same as GT essentially.

VT - Right there with UNC. Mid-20's. Sliding back a bit over the most recent years.

So, in short, I'm not sure that I'm buying the lack of recruiting staff. I don't think we have been any worse off that we have been in the last 15 years. Detractors may want us to think that, but the data doesn't bear it out. We have stayed remarkably consistent even when compared to other programs we like to think we are better than. GT has regressed a very small margin. VT and UNC have regressed by a larger margin.

GT has new locker rooms and an indoor practice facility. So, it's not like we haven't done anything. In fact, the IPF was put in under Bobinski's watch.

Let's look now at the team. The last 3 years, our brand of football is competitive, but blowing late leads and inability to close games on the road. Most of this is attributed to untimely fumbles and bad defense down the stretch and putrid special teams. Lack of a passing game in the two minute situations. There have also been lapses in coaching decisions. Most recently, deciding to kick to a kid on USF 3 times knowing the kid was burning the special teams unit and it resulting in back to back TD's. Fake punt very early on in the PITT game likely costing us the game. We have miscommunications on the OLine. Bad tackling on defense. Not making adjustments on defense. I mean, this is coaching guys. I don't know any other way to put it. The lack of money in the programs isn't causing fumbles, special teams TD's, OL miscommunications, etc. This is all stuff the coaches have control over. It's fundamental, clean football and we aren't playing it. The kids on the team are smart. They go to GT. It's not like they are unteachable.

So, look this over objectively and tell me how we are so different after Bobinski's "sabotage" scheme. Am I supposed to believe that, or do I look to the coaches. The data tells me to look to the coaches for the recent failures. What does it tell you?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
IMO, we have sabotaged our football program. Maybe not intentionally, but the effect is the same. When we rank 61/65 on what we spend on football in the FBS, (Duke ranked 36th), then we've sabotaged our program. If we want to compete with the big boys, we have to pony up the money at some point. Until then, we can't complain that our pinto doesn't keep pace with the ferraris.

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I read a rumor that the previous AD sabotage the football program. Does anybody know anything or can pass any info along?

Sabotaged how?

We could probably come up with several candidates that have done a better job of this than the previous AD, but would enjoy reading the rumor.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Sabotaged how?

We could probably come up with several candidates that have done a better job of this than the previous AD, but would enjoy reading the rumor.

As an edit: The donor who offered to fund a new locker room, and was turned down by previous AD, this donor just said “ok, fine” and walked away without raising hell about GT NOT accepting his $?

Deleted member 2897

Well at one time we did play Clemson in Atlanta like 16 straight years before we entered the ACC.

From the early 1900s through the early 1970s we only played Clemson in Atlanta. I'm sure that was due to Radakovich too because his great grandfather knew his eventual great grandson would screw us, so he worked with GT to only schedule Clemson at home to help obscure his future actions. I mean ????? LOLOLOL

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Look I love Paul, but these conspiracy theories are stupid. He needs to be held accountable for what's happening on the field, I'm sorry if that shakes you up. According to those numbers in 2014 we had the lowest spending per player in the conference...how inconvenent.

He certainly still accountable. But he can’t be honestly evaluated just looking at win / loss record alone. Every aspect plays a part; facilities, asst coach money, recruiting staff, game day crowds, swag, XsOs, talent evaluation, camps, and probably a hundred things more.

Here’s the gist. One person more than anyone knows best how to evaluate CPJ based on record and available resources. Tstan. He has the books, he knows the staff, knows the big donors and alum, knows the president. If he says we can find a better HC....I’m on board...go get him.

But if he says....we have outpunched our competition the last decade based upon available comparative resources. Then fix the problems and keep the good.

Who will that (keeping CPJ) piss off? Those who have hated CPJ and his scheme from day one and refused to reevaluate despite proven success. Also those who can only see the losses and are only able to think...” it’s simply coaching, I’m not happy right now and any change will guarantee success and winning.”

But AD decisions are just like coaching decisions. Moron fans with little to no direct knowledge think they have all the answers and their “feelings” are “right.” If a coach doesn’t start the backup QB iTD because the coach is dumb. If the AD doesn’t fire a coach the AD is dumb. The actual complexities of these issues do not factor at all with moron fans who think they know all. (Or who just say...I don’t care why..this doesn’t meet my expectations...so change the staff regardless)

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
MBob was/is an incompetent putz, but labeling it as sabotage is sensationalist and, IMO, people lose some credibility when they make sensationalist arguments rather than strive for truth. There are a lot of factors in play about why our sports programs are in the state they are in, and one of them is definitely money. We have dropped the ball for years in this area and TStan is trying to get us back on track.

Could we do better with the resources we have? No doubt about it. Terrible special teams play, continuous turnovers, etc are not due to the condition of the locker room. But it is a separate issue and pointing those things out to say we don't need to make capital improvements is actually closer to sabotage than what MBob did.

We have a whole host of issues we need to fix (support from Peterson and the BoR, money, coaching, etc) and I believe TStan is taking the right approach and tackling them individually and one at a time. If we care about GT and GT Athletics, we should support him in this endeavor rather than attempting to derail one of the first steps he is making to try to fix things.