ACC Tournament

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
At this point, I'm coming to the conclusion that MGH doesn't realize how good he could be, because on some nights he plays like he's one of the premier players in the ACC. That's the player we got Wednesday night.
Yep. It's been frustrating for 4 years because he's always been able to get to the rim at will but doesn't do it near enough. He can't shoot outside so he's really never been much of a threat out there. When he drives, good things happen. He's not the best finisher in the world but he hits his FT's and eventually as we saw last night, drew enough attention that even when he missed we had players there for the put back.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I give Gregory zero credit. THATS RIGHT I SAID IT.

All about our players deciding they were going to do what they had to do. Because at the end we were still running the same crap offense. Adam hit some timely, big shots, MGH got selfish (good thing) and Clemson got cold and played not to lose.

But I have an agenda and cannot be taken seriously. And I'm ok with that.

I found it interesting that when asked about this team, CBG said their tough, resilient etc, and then added they keep trust in their coaches and what they're being told in timeouts, apparently unlike past teams.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
The offense is awful for long stretches. At times MGH dribbles on the wing and 4 guys literally stand in place for 25 seconds. I fear what UVA is going to do with them tonight but it's March and weirder things have happened.

And I am also waiting for Stephens to make an open three. Maybe he's been saving it for a repeat of the first UVA game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I found it interesting that when asked about this team, CBG said their tough, resilient etc, and then added they keep trust in their coaches and what they're being told in timeouts, apparently unlike past teams.

Out of a TO last night we ran maybe the worst offensive set of the game.

Gregory is awful.

We are winning despite him thanks to senior leadership and mental toughness

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
And I am also waiting for Stephens to make an open three. Maybe he's been saving it for a repeat of the first UVA game.
He is bound to get hot at some point right????? I don't hate him taking open shots, he's able to hit those in theory. His one 3 last night was as lucky as it was awesome though...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I give Gregory zero credit. THATS RIGHT I SAID IT.

All about our players deciding they were going to do what they had to do. Because at the end we were still running the same crap offense. Adam hit some timely, big shots, MGH got selfish (good thing) and Clemson got cold and played not to lose.

But I have an agenda and cannot be taken seriously. And I'm ok with that.

Yep, I can't decide if I want berate BG for FINALLY cutting playing time for Jorg/Heath or give him credit for seeing it needed to be done.THAT flat turned the season around as MGH then handled the ball.It wasn't pretty but it was very effective.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Virginia draining 7 of 13 3's, playing sick defense, grabbing all the rebounds... How did we ever hang with these guys in the first half?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
maybe i am wrong but they looked tired. the ot game last night was a factor. imo.
I think the top 4 teams getting a double bye is just ridiculous. How does the 4 seed deserve that benefit? It need to be the #1 team and that's it and they get 1 bye. OT from last night killed our 2nd half legs

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we looked more tired vs. Clemson for 30 min than we did for the amount I got to see tonight (last 22 min on TV + first 18 on radio). Am I way off base on this comparison?

It seemed our downfall was deploying the same offensive scheme that we used all year and during our win streak i.e., do mostly nothing for the first 20 seconds, hope we don't turn it over, and hope someone bails us out at the end. You can't waste so many possessions against a top 5 team, particularly one that preys on methodically deconstructing you mentally and physically on both ends of the court.

We played a really good team and lost badly. Louisville did the same thing. It's not the worst thing in the world on a one-game basis. If we don't get into the big tournament it will have little to do with tonight.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I thought we looked more tired vs. Clemson for 30 min than we did for the amount I got to see tonight (last 22 min on TV + first 18 on radio). Am I way off base on this comparison?

It seemed our downfall was deploying the same offensive scheme that we used all year and during our win streak i.e., do mostly nothing for the first 20 seconds, hope we don't turn it over, and hope someone bails us out at the end. You can't waste so many possessions against a top 5 team, particularly one that preys on methodically deconstructing you mentally and physically on both ends of the court.

We played a really good team and lost badly. Louisville did the same thing. It's not the worst thing in the world on a one-game basis. If we don't get into the big tournament it will have little to do with tonight.
I agree with most of this. UVA is just a better team. We needed to play almost at the peak of our ability and have UVA be off a bit. Neither happened. We have an OK team, but UVA is a really good team.