ACC Tournament

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
How did they end up with 37 FTs?

Also, I can’t remember when if ever I saw a box score where a team played 7 players & had 29 fouls.

I got some sort of alert on my iPhone that Tad scored 29 & I figured we had won. Got on internet to see who were were playing tomorrow and saw we lost. Maybe a fitting end to the season?

It’s so funny Jax scored 29 points. He got hot but didn’t shoot well.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s so funny Jax scored 29 points. He got hot but didn’t shoot well.
Idk if this is sarcastic or not but he was 2-9 on 3’s. He gets majority of his points right around the basket. We obviously have different definitions of shooting well. Its funny what you call women like you doin the same ****. You probably sat on bench of your middle school team and blamed the coach.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
They shot 37 FT's because GT was fouling constantly the last 4 min of the game trying to get back into it. The refs were also calling GT for fouls anytime they breathed on Bowman - but he was being smart and aggressive and you tend to get some of those calls when you are that in a game.
Jackson scored 29, but about 20 of those were meaningless pts late in the game after GT was down 15-20 pts most of the 2nd half. At one point Tad and Okogie were a combined 6-23 from the field.

On the season, my expectation going into the season was a 14-15 win regular season- a small step back from the previous year. A little more talent but also much younger. I thought we would be hurt at PG being very inexperienced and at PF.
If things went well i thought they could get to 16-18 regular season wins and get back to the NIT. If they did not do well they could be in the 11-13 win area. I had no belief they would be close to a NCAA Tourney team. Everything would have to go right for 2 seasons in a row and that was so unlikely I never really entertained the thought.
If you had told me before the season that Tadric would sit for 3 games, that Okogie would miss 8 games with an injury, that Lammers would suffer an ankle injury in game 2 that caused him not to take part in a single practice for over 6 weeks and be less than 100% until maybe the last 2 weeks of the season, that Haywood would miss half the season (and basically be physically limited after game 9), that Alvarado would miss the last 6 games of the season - i'd say my expectation would probably have been about 10-11 wins. Oh and Ogbonda gets hurt and basically doesn't play and Evan Cole misses most of preseason practice with through a combination of illness and injury and Justin Moore doesn't play after Christmas because he is going to leave and wants to preserve eligibility.

I haven't even brought up off the court issues. This team was not talented enough not deep enough to come close to overcoming that. Everyone talks about the suspensions but they are almost irrelevant, basically the suspensions amounted to Tad missing the first 3 games of the season and Justin Moore missing 2 games in December. Okogie missed more games due to injury than suspension (and got injured in a exhibition game that was scheduled at the last minute as a charity event).

I'm actually pretty pleased with the play of the FR. i didn't expect anything at all this season out of Cole and Wright - anything we get out of them before their JR seasons is gravy.
Both need serious time in the S&C program. I see a little different roles for them. Wright should be developed as 3/4 combo forward. He likes to face the basket and is a great athlete, but his skill level is quite low. I see him as a combo F slasher type. I don't think he will ever be a good shooter unless his shot is retooled. I see him more as a taller, skinnier Ismail. If you look back at Muhammad's career he made 11 threes in his career and 0 his last 2 seasons and was a sub 50% FT Shooter but was still an important piece on a good team.
Cole I see as a 4/5. He's slightly less athletic than Moses, but he has more shooting skill and has a higher BB IQ right now. He has gotten better toward the end of the season.
I had higher expectations for Jose and Curtis. I expected both to be at least rotation players and potentially starters. Jose exceeded my expectations significantly. Turned out to be a much better shooter than I expected, and as I expected is a little wild with the ball at times but highly competitive and a 'gamer'.
Haywood stared a little more slowly, but really started coming on in game 3. He did not look to drive or score inside as much as his HS footage showed, but i think some of that was simply trying to provide what this team needed - which was a dangerous outside shooter and he was showing that capability before the injury. Avg 10ppg and shooting 50% from three. He also showed his potential as a secondary ballhandler as he has the best asst:TO ratio on the team and at the time of his injury had almost as many assts as Jose did. He also has potential as a very good defender long term with good athleticism and really long arms. We need him to get back to 100% health.

Hopefully the fact that all 4 got playing time this year will pay off down the road.

I'm expecting a 16-18 win regular season next year, but it will be a very different team. i think we will start to see a pace closer to what Pastner's teams employed at Memphis as GT may have the deepest perimeter rotation since 2003-2004.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly last 3ish years you rather have heath/hayward at pg with smith and then okogie at pg or tadric at pg with smith then okogie at sg? I like to have best talent on floor. Its funny too your gonna act like im wrong when hes played way better there. So i mean you can disagree but how are you gonna tell me its wrong when hes upped his play dramatically since the switch? If people agreed with you they would come out and say im wrong. None of your boys on here are gonna tell you your wrong so they just arent gonna say anything but if they agreed with you they would say it which no one has theyve just stayed out of the conversation.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
They shot 37 FT's because GT was fouling constantly the last 4 min of the game trying to get back into it. The refs were also calling GT for fouls anytime they breathed on Bowman - but he was being smart and aggressive and you tend to get some of those calls when you are that in a game.
Jackson scored 29, but about 20 of those were meaningless pts late in the game after GT was down 15-20 pts most of the 2nd half. At one point Tad and Okogie were a combined 6-23 from the field.

On the season, my expectation going into the season was a 14-15 win regular season- a small step back from the previous year. A little more talent but also much younger. I thought we would be hurt at PG being very inexperienced and at PF.
If things went well i thought they could get to 16-18 regular season wins and get back to the NIT. If they did not do well they could be in the 11-13 win area. I had no belief they would be close to a NCAA Tourney team. Everything would have to go right for 2 seasons in a row and that was so unlikely I never really entertained the thought.
If you had told me before the season that Tadric would sit for 3 games, that Okogie would miss 8 games with an injury, that Lammers would suffer an ankle injury in game 2 that caused him not to take part in a single practice for over 6 weeks and be less than 100% until maybe the last 2 weeks of the season, that Haywood would miss half the season (and basically be physically limited after game 9), that Alvarado would miss the last 6 games of the season - i'd say my expectation would probably have been about 10-11 wins. Oh and Ogbonda gets hurt and basically doesn't play and Evan Cole misses most of preseason practice with through a combination of illness and injury and Justin Moore doesn't play after Christmas because he is going to leave and wants to preserve eligibility.

I haven't even brought up off the court issues. This team was not talented enough not deep enough to come close to overcoming that. Everyone talks about the suspensions but they are almost irrelevant, basically the suspensions amounted to Tad missing the first 3 games of the season and Justin Moore missing 2 games in December. Okogie missed more games due to injury than suspension (and got injured in a exhibition game that was scheduled at the last minute as a charity event).

I'm actually pretty pleased with the play of the FR. i didn't expect anything at all this season out of Cole and Wright - anything we get out of them before their JR seasons is gravy.
Both need serious time in the S&C program. I see a little different roles for them. Wright should be developed as 3/4 combo forward. He likes to face the basket and is a great athlete, but his skill level is quite low. I see him as a combo F slasher type. I don't think he will ever be a good shooter unless his shot is retooled. I see him more as a taller, skinnier Ismail. If you look back at Muhammad's career he made 11 threes in his career and 0 his last 2 seasons and was a sub 50% FT Shooter but was still an important piece on a good team.
Cole I see as a 4/5. He's slightly less athletic than Moses, but he has more shooting skill and has a higher BB IQ right now. He has gotten better toward the end of the season.
I had higher expectations for Jose and Curtis. I expected both to be at least rotation players and potentially starters. Jose exceeded my expectations significantly. Turned out to be a much better shooter than I expected, and as I expected is a little wild with the ball at times but highly competitive and a 'gamer'.
Haywood stared a little more slowly, but really started coming on in game 3. He did not look to drive or score inside as much as his HS footage showed, but i think some of that was simply trying to provide what this team needed - which was a dangerous outside shooter and he was showing that capability before the injury. Avg 10ppg and shooting 50% from three. He also showed his potential as a secondary ballhandler as he has the best asst:TO ratio on the team and at the time of his injury had almost as many assts as Jose did. He also has potential as a very good defender long term with good athleticism and really long arms. We need him to get back to 100% health.

Hopefully the fact that all 4 got playing time this year will pay off down the road.

I'm expecting a 16-18 win regular season next year, but it will be a very different team. i think we will start to see a pace closer to what Pastner's teams employed at Memphis as GT may have the deepest perimeter rotation since 2003-2004.

Yeah I followed the game cast. Looked like Jax and Okogie really struggled and then Ben came alive. I’ll give it a watch at some point. Can’t draw much of a conclusion at the moment.

My point about Jax getting hot but not shooting well being funny was because it actually supported two differing opinions on this board at the same time. Almost as if he scored the bulk of his points slashing or playing on the block. Feels like I have typed that before....

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I followed the game cast. Looked like Jax and Okogie really struggled and then Ben came alive. I’ll give it a watch at some point. Can’t draw much of a conclusion at the moment.

My point about Jax getting hot but not shooting well being funny was because it actually supported two differing opinions on this board at the same time. Almost as if he scored the bulk of his points slashing or playing on the block. Feels like I have typed that before....
Im arguing with someone who didnt even watch the game...smh. But im always talkin about Tadric posting up and how he has uncanny ability to get to basket and score around the basket haha

Deleted member 2897

The bubble teams of Notre Dame and Syracuse both won last night. If they both win 1 more time then it starts to get interesting.

We win 9-10 in the ACC and get to 20 total wins next year. Baseball turns the corner this year. Football wins 8 and gets to a bowl game. All is right in the world again and the dumpster fire is extinguished.

Troutbum

Georgia Tech Fan
The bubble teams of Notre Dame and Syracuse both won last night. If they both win 1 more time then it starts to get interesting.

We win 9-10 in the ACC and get to 20 total wins next year. Baseball turns the corner this year. Football wins 8 and gets to a bowl game. All is right in the world again and the dumpster fire is extinguished.

Exactly what I've been thinking - AND the Russell Athletics anchor, at looooong last, is removed. Better times ahead for the white and gold.

Deleted member 2897

FSU looks atrocious today

FSU has 20 wins. Anybody in favor of chaos should probably root for Louisville to beat FSU and then I guess for NC State to beat BC (BC will never get in without winning it all), then for Notre Dame to beat 21 win Virginia Tech, and then now-20 win Syracuse to beat North Carolina tonight. That would be freaking hilarious, because I think Louisville gets in with a win over FSU, and Notre Dame/Syracuse winning twice in the ACC Tournament would have to get people talking. Notre Dame would probably move into the top #30 in KenPom and would then have 20 wins (20-13) and a very stellar record when their top players weren't injured. Syracuse would get close to breaking #30 in the RPI (they are currently #36) with a win and would then be 21-12.

Deleted member 2897

FSU looks atrocious today

When you wrote that, I went and looked and Louisville was winning 33-22 with several minutes left in the first half. I just went and looked again now, and its halftime and 41-22. WOW. Here are some of FSU's players' stats at halftime:
Phil Cofer: 0 for 3
Christ Koumadje: 0 for 3
CJ Walker: 0 for 3
Mfiondu Kabengele: 0 for 1
PJ Savoy: 1 for 4
MJ Walker: 0 for 2

Holy cow.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
All that talent over the years & they never do anything. When's the last time they had a good postseason? Back when Bobby Sura was there?
Who was that 1 dude who would always drop buckets i think when we were good in the 04-06 ish time frame? I think he was #22 or something for Fsu. Was a guard. I remember him being a beast when i was a kid.