ACC Tournament Thread

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
When you have Berry, Jackson and Britt trying to guard Allen, Kennard and Tatum, you either get uncontested layups or FTs. TarHole perimeter D is atrocious outside Pinson

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I recall a Tech coach, maybe Hewitt, pointing out the sick differential between fouls called in favor of Duke. Freud the rest of the ACC. It would be suggestive to see a long term study of that and foul differentials generally.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I recall a Tech coach, maybe Hewitt, pointing out the sick differential between fouls called in favor of Duke. Freud the rest of the ACC. It would be suggestive to see a long term study of that and foul differentials generally.

I'm sure there is some small bias, but a lot of these stats come from the fact that Duke aggressively drives the ball at defenders, forcing the refs to make calls. In general, the more aggressive team tends to get the benefit of the calls. It also helps when you have all 5 and 4 stars out there.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Duke shot 778 FTs in 34 games. 22.9/game
GT 635 in 32. 19.9/game.
BC 556 in 32. 17.4/game.
Clemson 655 in 32. 20.5/game.
FSU 766 in 33. 23.2/game.
UL 632 in 32. 19.8/game
Miami 600 in 32. 18.8/game.
NCSU 635 in 32. 19.8/game.
UNC 753 in 34. 22.1/game.
ND 561 in 33. 17/game,
Pitt 719 in 33. 21.8/game
UVA 442 in 32. 13.9/game.
VT 715 in 32. 22.3/game.
Wake 764 in 32. 23.9/game.

Obviously not anywhere near complete information but tifwiw.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame had 2 fouls in the second half until they started hacking in the last 2 minutes. Wonder when that gets pointed out? Obviously the conspiracy theory didn't get to the refs in this game.....

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Berry sat the majority of the 2nd half. That's when Duke made their run.

Berry sat out about 9 minutes after he got burned again and got called for his fourth hack. Duke made their run in about 150 seconds when they went from down 12 to down up 1 (I think that's right. It was about 12:30 to 10:50 of second half 62-50 to 65-66) Outscored the Holes 16-3, I believe

Biggest thing that went Duke's way was ND beating FSU. Duke matched up much better with ND than FSU

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else think Duke has a better case for a 1 seed than UNC? I'd probably also put Zona ahead of the Heels.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Palm moved Duke to a 1 seed in his bracket this morning. Seems like 3 are locked with Nova, Kansas and Gonzaga and then bracket forecasters split between Duke and UNC for the last #1.

Syracuse may be the most interesting team to follow. Almost every bracket right now has them as either the last team in or first team out. Syracuse fans should be rooting hard for VCU today as a RI win could cost them a potential bid.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
1 vs 2 seed isn't a huge deal in terms of opponents, so doubt Duke is sweating that too hard . Much better than the 4 or 5 seed they were projected to be a couple weeks ago.

Agree with Red... biggest ACC intrigue will be Cuse. Nine ACC teams are locks, I think. Clemson is lock for NIT. Cuse is teetering between the two

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cuse fans are rooting for VCU no doubt, but who knows how much it'll matter. The Orange have a weird resume and not much precedent. Last year they weren't supposed to get in and ended up a 10 seed.

As ACC fans we should want 'Cuse in the tournament. Last year GT earned ~$111K for every NCAAT game the ACC participated in.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It really feels like there are only 3-4 teams for 1-2 spots and it's just a matter of how the committee parses it. Everything else feels pretty settled.