ACC Tournament Thread

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not expecting GT to make it.
Dratings dropped GT from their NIT bracket this afternoon. NYC Buckets did yesterday. I think it is time to go recruit.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think I've been to 32, a few of them might be gone now.

That's why I like him. The "loss of wins" punishment is so effing ridiculous.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, are we going to do this with him every year? Leave NY. Play someone on the road. I think he's funny but if you don't learn than that's your fault.
I know people like to rail him for that but it's mostly overblown:
  • 2016 (This year) - Preseason NIT, @ Wisky, vs. UConn neutral site (MSG).. I'll concede (but disagree) one neutral vs. SC in Brooklyn since it was 90% Cuse fans... same thing would have happened if the game was played in DC, Chicago, etc.
  • 2015 - Won Battle 4 Atlantis
  • 2014 - Preseason NIT, @ Michigan, @ Nova
  • 2013 - Won Maui Invitational
Also the St. John's and Georgetown series are alternating home/away during the contract

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
But at the same time, each year the committee basically tells him to schedule better. He really doesn't like to leave NY a whole lot. While I also acknowledge the ACC is a grind. You have to make the adjustment.

You also have to beat BC.....

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
But at the same time, each year the committee basically tells him to schedule better. He really doesn't like to leave NY a whole lot. While I also acknowledge the ACC is a grind. You have to make the adjustment.

You also have to beat BC.....
His non-conference this year is home-and-homes with Georgetown, St John's, he schedule UConn/South Carolina neutral and at Wisky. It's unfortunate the Georgetown/St John's games landed at home this year. And it's also unfortunate they both suck, because that's scheduled before knowing. The prior years he left NY as much or more as most teams leave their home state. Point is I don't know what adjustment there is to make.

ETA: NYC is over 4 hours from campus. If he schedules in Boston or DC does it make it any better? Even though the crowd will be 75% orange? Honestly I just don't get the complaint about scheduling outside of it's a familiar narrative.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
His non-conference this year is home-and-homes with Georgetown, St John's, he schedule UConn/South Carolina neutral and at Wisky. It's unfortunate the Georgetown/St John's games landed at home this year. And it's also unfortunate they both suck, because that's scheduled before knowing. The prior years he left NY as much or more as most teams leave their home state. Point is I don't know what adjustment there is to make.

ETA: NYC is over 4 hours from campus. If he schedules in Boston or DC does it make it any better? Even though the crowd will be 75% orange? Honestly I just don't get the complaint about scheduling outside of it's a familiar narrative.

To me it matters not at all. I prefer the eye test. I watch a ton of games. Syracuse would ****ing destroy USC, Providence and Vanderbilt. But he finds himself in a similar situation with the same questions being asked if seems repeatedly and each year there he is on my TV defending his program. GTown and StJ have sucked for a while. Not a huge leap they'd be bad this year. In the end I'm not passionate about this subject. Jim is old and stubborn and kind of a ***** so ESPN likes to put him on tv.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
To me it matters not at all. I prefer the eye test. I watch a ton of games. Syracuse would ****ing destroy USC, Providence and Vanderbilt. But he finds himself in a similar situation with the same questions being asked if seems repeatedly and each year there he is on my TV defending his program. GTown and StJ have sucked for a while. Not a huge leap they'd be bad this year. In the end I'm not passionate about this subject. Jim is old and stubborn and kind of a ***** so ESPN likes to put him on tv.
Fair enough. If they had won 2 more games with this year's current schedule, they're in. Can pick from St John's, Georgetown, UConn, BC, etc. I don't think it was the schedule that hurt them as much as not winning enough games, especially those they should have. I'll happily agree Boeheim is an insecure curmudgeon... I'll mostly miss it once we go full PC.

There's a sizable faction of the fanbase that's ready for a transition in power now, magnified by the recruiting misses this year.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given he is supposed to retire next year for Hopkins to take over you may not have to watch him much longer Pea.

Of course if he decides he wants to coach still that could cause all sorts of fun TV to watch in Syracuse.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I kinda think once Bayhime is gone, that whole 'Syracuse being a bigtime basketball school thing' will be a done deal.

IOW, I look for da Cuse to fade off into the Bolivian soon (shout out to Mike Tyson).

Now, of course, @CuseJacket will somehow ban me. Just don't make it a perma-ban, CuseJ.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Now, of course, @CuseJacket will somehow ban me.

IMG_1199.JPG