ACC Tournament 2021

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
UNC treating this as a must-win for NCAAT selection and started Love again today (after starting their first game too). The same guy that pitched 130 against us. Feel like the negative recruiting against them for pitchers will be HEAVY after this season.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC treating this as a must-win for NCAAT selection and started Love again today (after starting their first game too). The same guy that pitched 130 against us. Feel like the negative recruiting against them for pitchers will be HEAVY after this season.
Maybe I misunderstood what you wrote... but Love didn't pitch on Tues. His last appearance was against us last Thursday.

Deleted member 2897

And Virginia beats the absolute dog **** out of Notre Dame. NC State crawling back. @Fredostradamus lives on.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wow! I know we had a great one in Jason Varitek who also had a great run in MLB with the Red Sox. Just curious on these 2 questions and would love to hear from people who pay more attention to baseball than I do -

1. Is JV a HoF player or even a potential candidate?
2. How would you compare these 2 players at this stage in their careers?

@orientalnc or anyone else....I am bumping this reply to your post regarding our catcher as a future MLB HOF'er as no one took a stab at it and I remain curious. Care to share your thoughts on these two questions?

jatchet

Jolly Good Fellow
NC State was playing past 11:45 last night. As far as I can tell they didn't burn any top arms, but their Freshman Coby Ingle went 4 innings and was very solid this year. One less option for them at least.

Looks like they played their normal starting 9 all night. Including their typical starting catcher, Tresh. Doesn't look like they have any good options behind him. If I'm looking at the NC State stats correctly, Tresh only threw out 10 of 38 base stealers. I predict Parada trying to get the jump on some dirt balls today. Maybe we can get inside the Catcher's head and then the pitchers' heads as well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UNC in NCAAs by waiting to pitch Love who didn't pitch as well as against us (duh). Biggest crowd of the tourney reportedly. Going through the crowd, they seemed friendly to outsiders.

UVa in NCAAs too for sure. L'Ville praying for not too many stolen bids along with uGag. ( Piss on them)

I think it'll be UVa taking the tourney. Or if it isn't us the one I hope for second most. Great coaching job to come back.

NC State should be a 70% favorite today given pitching depth. But if our bats are hot that'll give us the 30% win.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
@orientalnc or anyone else....I am bumping this reply to your post regarding our catcher as a future MLB HOF'er as no one took a stab at it and I remain curious. Care to share your thoughts on these two questions?
I would say that JV is a candidate, but is a longshot for the HoF. He had a very good career, but not HoF caliber.

As to the second question, I was not born yet when JV played at Tech so I can't answer that one. I will say though that it will be difficult for any player to overcome JV's legacy at Tech so just based on that he was probably more advanced than Parada as a freshman. It was a different era though and Parada has a ton of potential.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
NC State was playing past 11:45 last night. As far as I can tell they didn't burn any top arms, but their Freshman Coby Ingle went 4 innings and was very solid this year. One less option for them at least.

Looks like they played their normal starting 9 all night. Including their typical starting catcher, Tresh. Doesn't look like they have any good options behind him. If I'm looking at the NC State stats correctly, Tresh only threw out 10 of 38 base stealers. I predict Parada trying to get the jump on some dirt balls today. Maybe we can get inside the Catcher's head and then the pitchers' heads as well.
These teams are set up pretty evenly. Sure Ga Tech played a 12 inning game & used lots of pitchers. But they've had a full day off & only one bullpen guy (Maxwell) was extended at all. The bullpen should be A-ok from a rest standpoint.

Today, we have our 2nd best starter (recent sample string) going against NC State's #2 (I assume).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would say that JV is a candidate, but is a longshot for the HoF. He had a very good career, but not HoF caliber.

As to the second question, I was not born yet when JV played at Tech so I can't answer that one. I will say though that it will be difficult for any player to overcome JV's legacy at Tech so just based on that he was probably more advanced than Parada as a freshman. It was a different era though and Parada has a ton of potential.
I don't see JV as a HOF candidate. He had <200 HRs and a .256 BA. I see Parada as very similar, but a better hitter.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I don't see JV as a HOF candidate. He had <200 HRs and a .256 BA. I see Parada as very similar, but a better hitter.
It's just different for catchers though and his defense was great. It also helps that he led a big market city to 2 World Series titles and was very popular there. Again, I think it is a very, very longshot that he gets selected, but he should still be a candidate.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bullpen thin?
Not as much as Sugiura suggests... imo. First of all... it was 12 innings. Someone else posted this same image. This was 2 days ago (not yesterday). Not a single Ga Tech pitcher pitched yesterday.

The pen is rested plenty.

1622211798532.png

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Wow! I know we had a great one in Jason Varitek who also had a great run in MLB with the Red Sox. Just curious on these 2 questions and would love to hear from people who pay more attention to baseball than I do -

1. Is JV a HoF player or even a potential candidate?
2. How would you compare these 2 players at this stage in their careers?

Sorry to tell you and the other guys this but Varitek was first eligible for the hall of fame in 2016. He got 2 votes or 0.5% of the total number of electors. You need 70% to get in and 5% to stay on the ballot for another year. So he had his shot and didn't make it.

Rightfully so imo. He had a solid career but not HoF worthy. If Jorge Posada was going to be one and done then Varitek damn well should have been as well. That might be the Yankee fan in me talking but it's not wrong.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thanks for the update...I don't follow baseball closely but was aware of Varitek and his career due to his GT background. I knew he was highly regarded in his day but then again, so was Dale Murphy and a whole host of others who are not HOF'ers but still damn good professional players. Jason had a great run in the show though as did his teammmate Nomar G (not going to attempt the spelling here), another Red Sox iirc.