ACC Tournament 2021

Squints

Helluva Engineer
90 mph has become the standard in baseball and, with it, the loss of control. Greg Maddux probably never threw a pitch 90 mph.

Maddux being a soft tosser his whole career is apocryphal nonsense. He threw in the low 90s in the prime of his career.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maddux being a soft tosser his whole career is apocryphal nonsense. He threw in the low 90s in the prime of his career.
I saw Maddux pitch close to 100 times when he was with the Cubs (one year) and Braves. I thought I was watching him in his prime since he was winning the Cy Young award four straight years. During that time his fastball was mid 80s.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Really cool show on Hulu call Fastball and it goes into specifics and physics of the fast ball and who throw what. Highly recommended. I won’t spoil it on who has thrown the hardest fastball of all time…..

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
90 mph has become the standard in baseball and, with it, the loss of control. Greg Maddux probably never threw a pitch 90 mph.
Maddux was throwing low to mid 90s as a high schooler. For the first ~8 years of his major league career he routinely touched 93. In his prime from 1992-2002 he sat 87-90, and seeing 92 from him was not abnormal at all. In 2008, Maddux’ 23rd MLB season at age 42 his average fastball was 85, and he topped at 89. League average at the time was right around 91. The myth that Maddux didn’t throw hard is just that, a myth. He wasn’t a flamethrower by any means, but for the time he played he was not a soft tosser until the very end of his career. During his early years his fastball hovered around or even above league average.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Maddux was throwing low to mid 90s as a high schooler. For the first ~8 years of his major league career he routinely touched 93. In his prime from 1992-2002 he sat 87-90, and seeing 92 from him was not abnormal at all. In 2008, Maddux’ 23rd MLB season at age 42 his average fastball was 85, and he topped at 89. League average at the time was right around 91. The myth that Maddux didn’t throw hard is just that, a myth. He wasn’t a flamethrower by any means, but for the time he played he was not a soft tosser until the very end of his career. During his early years his fastball hovered around or even above league average.
I'm not necessarily doubting you and I know this is an era of ready analytics but where does one go to find stats about how fast Maddux threw as a high-schooler and the first few years of his career?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
What a ****ty-*** final game.
I disagree. 1-0 in a Championship game is what I would expect from 2 teams that are balanced enough and have enough pitching to win a Championship. NC State has a very potent offense, and Duke has been one of the hottest teams in College Baseball lately (as has NC State). So to see a 1-0 game in the ACC Championship means that there are a number of pitchers who stepped up for both Duke and NC State to shut down the other team. I wish Georgia Tech had the pitchers that would step up and do the same. Perhaps in the regional???

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
My bad, it was on Amazon Prime
Very much worth a watch!!!
Free for Prime Members.

1622591300683.png