ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
Who would our 5 be? I’ve heard MIA, FS, Climpsun, and either Duke or N.C. State.

I wouldn’t be too mad about that, we’d have a chance to maybe go 5-5 with that schedule

GTFLETCH

Banned
One proposal league athletic directors are considering is dividing the ACC’s 15 schools — traditional football independent and partial conference member Notre Dame would be included — into three geographic pods of five. Teams would play each pod rival twice, accounting for eight games.

The aim then would be, in concert with the Southeastern Conference, to add a ninth, and hopefully 10th, contest for each school, preserving the four annual ACC-SEC in-state rivalries: Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Louisville-Kentucky.

Remember, teams in different pods can play one another, but probably not twice.

Option No. 1
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, Duke.
Pod B: Virginia Tech, Virginia, Clemson, N.C. State, Wake Forest
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Notre Dame.

Option No. 2
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Virginia Tech.
Pod B: North Carolina, N.C. State, Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia.

Option No. 3
Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Louisville.
Pod C: Syracuse, Boston College, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech.

Link
https://richmond.com/sports/college...SS5XWKnvqaBPOLunFvKMD1vT_u6aRQ0P5QkNMpWezNiRU

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
One proposal league athletic directors are considering is dividing the ACC’s 15 schools — traditional football independent and partial conference member Notre Dame would be included — into three geographic pods of five. Teams would play each pod rival twice, accounting for eight games.

The aim then would be, in concert with the Southeastern Conference, to add a ninth, and hopefully 10th, contest for each school, preserving the four annual ACC-SEC in-state rivalries: Clemson-South Carolina, Florida State-Florida, Georgia Tech-Georgia and Louisville-Kentucky.

Option No. 1

Option No. 2

Option No. 3

Link
https://richmond.com/sports/college...SS5XWKnvqaBPOLunFvKMD1vT_u6aRQ0P5QkNMpWezNiRU
#2-3: Let’s dump all the good teams in 1 pod

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
Personally I would rather see:

Pod A: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, N.C. State.
Pod B: North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Duke, Virginia

It balances some of the teams a little more and gives us three teams to play twice that we don't see very often with the current cross division set up.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
As much as I would like that setup, pod B is WAAAY overpowered.

If we’re going by geography we’re playing Clemson, so way around it

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Option No. 1

Option No. 2

Option No. 3

Link

I think it looks more and more like there will not be football this Fall.

However, if the conference does go to a three-pods-of-five-teams the North Carolina schools are going to use the power that the North Carolina schools have always had in the ACC to ensure that they are together. From the above list only Options 2 and 3 have any chance of getting approved.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
NC high schools are trying to figure out how to return to classrooms this fall. One plan I heard yesterday called for all high schools students (except those with disabilities or learning issues) to have remote classes 100% this year. No sports or band or any extracurricular activities. It depends on classroom space for social distancing and teachers willing to return to the classroom. They are looking at using high school buildings to spread out the middle schoolers. It looks like k-12 is going to be really challenging. If colleges are having classes on campus in NC I wonder how it will work.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
NC high schools are trying to figure out how to return to classrooms this fall. One plan I heard yesterday called for all high schools students (except those with disabilities or learning issues) to have remote classes 100% this year. No sports or band or any extracurricular activities. It depends on classroom space for social distancing and teachers willing to return to the classroom. They are looking at using high school buildings to spread out the middle schoolers. It looks like k-12 is going to be really challenging. If colleges are having classes on campus in NC I wonder how it will work.
Wake County (where Raleigh is) is starting with a hybrid approach. Kids will spend 1 week out of 3 in the classroom, and the other two remote learning. With 1/3 the students in the classroom at any time, they will try social distancing.
It's going to be a mess. Parents have a choice of doing this, or moving to the Virtual Academy (online hs). Over 30k have already chosen the virtual academy.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wake County (where Raleigh is) is starting with a hybrid approach. Kids will spend 1 week out of 3 in the classroom, and the other two remote learning. With 1/3 the students in the classroom at any time, they will try social distancing.
It's going to be a mess. Parents have a choice of doing this, or moving to the Virtual Academy (online hs). Over 30k have already chosen the virtual academy.
Wow, that is going to be tough for parents and the kids. We really could use that vaccine right about now..

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm in Raleigh and we're struggling to make a decision. At our kid's schools, the 1/3 capacity is about 7-8 kids in the classroom at a time. It seems like the families that have the resources are jumping on the virtual academy. Our kids want to go back to school but that means we have to trust 6-7 families without knowing where they've been, etc. Durham and Orange Counties are both proposing a minimum of 4 weeks online to start the school year and then will reevaluate the data.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My son's kids are in Greensboro and they are struggling with a decision. 30% of the teachers are not returning to the classroom. Another 30% said only with mandatory masks.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My son's kids are in Greensboro and they are struggling with a decision. 30% of the teachers are not returning to the classroom. Another 30% said only with mandatory masks.

It's shocking how kids are getting the vast majority of the attention when discussing returning to school, but few are focused on the teachers and support staff. Who's going to teach the kids if there are no teachers? Who's going to feed the kids, clean the schools, drive the kids to school if a large percent don't show up to do their jobs?

I wrote in another thread that my friend's wife is an APS (Atlanta Publis School) teacher. They recently decided that she would not return to work if APS has in class teaching. They would rather have the choice of their parents staying active with their life and raising their daughter, as opposed to being quarantined from their parents who help out with their daughter.

They are lucky in that my friend does well enough that they can make that choice.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Having no in person classes at all really does have a downside though. That's the difficult part for me. Virtual learning disproportionately affects lower income students and students with unstable family situations. Lack of support from family in either studying or tutoring, as well as unstable (or poor) internet, hell even the lack of free lunch programs will all affect these kids long term. Not to mention that the teaching and social growth will both suffer with no in person learning.

I don't think all kids should be forced to go to a physical school, and I'm definitely not brushing off the fact that kids may end up getting infected.

I don't know what the answer is, but I hate people from both sides acting like it's a black and white issue.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The superintendent of the Guilford County Schools (Greensboro) stated there is no perfect choice. In fact, she added, there are no good choices for restarting school. They are hoping to pick the least bad choice, knowing that some children and their parents are not going to be well served. When asked about sports, she laughed. Sports are way down the list of things they need to think about after they decide how to restart school. My granddaughter, a rising senior, plays viola in two different youth orchestras. One at the high school. Of course, that will not happen this year. And she plans to major in Music Performance.

If it were not for the money, would college football be any different? If the answer is no, then the NCAA meme that college athletes are amateurs is ludicrous.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Having no in person classes at all really does have a downside though. That's the difficult part for me. Virtual learning disproportionately affects lower income students and students with unstable family situations. Lack of support from family in either studying or tutoring, as well as unstable (or poor) internet, hell even the lack of free lunch programs will all affect these kids long term. Not to mention that the teaching and social growth will both suffer with no in person learning.

I don't think all kids should be forced to go to a physical school, and I'm definitely not brushing off the fact that kids may end up getting infected.

I don't know what the answer is, but I hate people from both sides acting like it's a black and white issue.

it really needs to be understood to be a very nuanced topic, not - keep them home, or send them to school. Neither of those absolutes really work.
There has been a great series today by the John Hopkins School of Public Health. They have been open and honest that it would be better to get kids in school, but you have to do it in safe ways for everyone that is there - students, teachers, staff. It's really about the community. There will be communities where it is simply not possible to have people at school - the level of transmission in the community is simply too high. There are other places that should be able to have kids in school without many issues as long as you are careful and using good practices. And then there are going to be places in between where you need to be really creative. Maybe the elementary school kids are in person, but high school is not. Or they are only there on certain days. Or you keep groups in bubbles so that if you have a breakout you may only need to isolate some students and teachers rather than the whole school.

it is not going to be one size fits all.
The key point is that it is better to have students in school, if you can do that safely. and that requires time, planning and resources to make it happen.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The superintendent of the Guilford County Schools (Greensboro) stated there is no perfect choice. In fact, she added, there are no good choices for restarting school. They are hoping to pick the least bad choice, knowing that some children and their parents are not going to be well served. When asked about sports, she laughed. Sports are way down the list of things they need to think about after they decide how to restart school. My granddaughter, a rising senior, plays viola in two different youth orchestras. One at the high school. Of course, that will not happen this year. And she plans to major in Music Performance.

If it were not for the money, would college football be any different? If the answer is no, then the NCAA meme that college athletes are amateurs is ludicrous.

Keep in mind that the NCAA is nothing more than its member institutions - the universities. Basically it says what the universities want it to say. It's very much in the universities interest - especially the AA's to say the SA's are amateur, that makes it easier to claim they are not for profit and therefore tax exempt. Most importantly, the NCAA has basically no say or power in terms of college football. It does not receive any money from it and does not really make any decisions. That is all run and controlled by the P5 conferences. The NCAA exists for college football only so the power conferences can put a veneer of respectibility behind it all, that someone other than them is running everything and looking out for the SA's.
I've thought for years that AA's should lose their tax exempt status.