ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don’t really see the point in a plus one model. Might as well try to play the normal schedule.

There are several reasons. As others have mentioned, the conference can dictate health safety/testing protocols for all of the teams to follow. Also, it makes adjusting schedules much easier. If the conference finds out on Monday that two teams can't play that Saturday, the conference can just decide that their two opponents play each other that Saturday. If both of those teams were supposed to have a home game that weekend, then the conference can help with travel arrangements and the cost of that travel. That would be impossible to do with a normal schedule, even if every opponent is a P5 opponent. Will the Big 10 give up a home conference game and the TV money from that game to play on the road at an SEC team at the last minute?

Will the ACC take a chance that Auburn won't push the limits and that Virginia has to sit out of play for several weeks, which would lose TV revenue for the ACC? The +1 at the end of the season is easier to manage. If the schedule has issues, that is an easy game to push out or not play. Doing a +1 game at the beginning of the season, on the other hand, could cause ripple effects that negate the health and schedule benefits that a conference only schedule would have.

With all of that said, I don't believe we will even have the 10 conference games +1 this year.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There are several reasons. As others have mentioned, the conference can dictate health safety/testing protocols for all of the teams to follow. Also, it makes adjusting schedules much easier. If the conference finds out on Monday that two teams can't play that Saturday, the conference can just decide that their two opponents play each other that Saturday. If both of those teams were supposed to have a home game that weekend, then the conference can help with travel arrangements and the cost of that travel. That would be impossible to do with a normal schedule, even if every opponent is a P5 opponent. Will the Big 10 give up a home conference game and the TV money from that game to play on the road at an SEC team at the last minute?

Will the ACC take a chance that Auburn won't push the limits and that Virginia has to sit out of play for several weeks, which would lose TV revenue for the ACC? The +1 at the end of the season is easier to manage. If the schedule has issues, that is an easy game to push out or not play. Doing a +1 game at the beginning of the season, on the other hand, could cause ripple effects that negate the health and schedule benefits that a conference only schedule would have.

With all of that said, I don't believe we will even have the 10 conference games +1 this year.
I fully understand the conference model, I just think the +1 is telling a different story. Those games won't be flexible, and barring some kind of incredible cooperation between the conferences, the safety protocols between those programs are not going to be the same. I also question whether the +1 model will actually mean the end of the season. Im not sure all of the schools in these conferences are going to go for that. The +1 model also pretty much ensures that all of the dropped FCS (and lower tier FBS) teams will get full payouts. We can't reasonably argue against it anymore.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would be thrilled to get 10 games. It feels like the more the beginning of the season gets postponed though the less likely we get 10 games. Sort of feels like Oct should be our sweet spot to get games in. NOV could get tough if cases are rising again at that time.

if ND plays a full ACC schedule then they should be eligible for the ACC CG imo. Might also help down the road. Will certainly draw higher audience.

The Clemson survey tells me college football fans want games in the fall, no matter how you make it happen.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I fully understand the conference model, I just think the +1 is telling a different story. Those games won't be flexible, and barring some kind of incredible cooperation between the conferences, the safety protocols between those programs are not going to be the same. I also question whether the +1 model will actually mean the end of the season. Im not sure all of the schools in these conferences are going to go for that. The +1 model also pretty much ensures that all of the dropped FCS (and lower tier FBS) teams will get full payouts. We can't reasonably argue against it anymore.

Having a +1 game at the end of the season could be extremely flexible. If the ACC and/or SEC have to extend the season then play those games one week later or don't play them at all. The real problem with flexibility is before the last game. If an Peach Bowl kickoff game has issues it would be more difficult to make that game up. The game and the revenue from the game would just be lost. If one conference keeps strict control but another conference does not, then a kickoff game could cuase the strict conference players/staff on one team who are unable to perform in games for several weeks. Health issues and and revenue loss. With a end of the season +1 game, the conferences and teams could reasonably judge whether other conferences and/or teams have been operating responsibly by looking at the track record.

Many FCS and lower FBS conferences have already cancelled their seasons. They can't expect a payout if they aren't competing in any games to begin with. Any teams that are actually playing games and have a contract with P5 teams will probably try to get the payout even if the P5 teams don't play any games. Any such disputes would probably end up with a settlement instead of both sides spending lots of money on legal fees. However, there probably won't be any such disputes because all of the football programs are going to at least have restrictions on their seasons. The Big South (Gardner Webb's conference) already has one school that has pulled out of all fall sports. I can't see an FCS school paying for even weekly testing for each player. It will be almost impossible for P5 programs to have sports in September. I don't see any possibility that lower tier teams have any chance.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It should be considerably easier for Tech, since we sell so few season tickets anyway. As far as visiting fans, tough luck IMO.
Yeah, I agree. The survey pissed me off a little bit, because I’d think your season ticket holders would take priority. I can’t see a scenario where you couldn’t accommodate all of our season ticket holders at every game given how few we have.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I agree. The survey pissed me off a little bit, because I’d think your season ticket holders would take priority. I can’t see a scenario where you couldn’t accommodate all of our season ticket holders at every game given how few we have.

How few season ticket holders do you think we have? I haven't seen numbers for last year, and I haven't seen numbers for this year. In 2016, it was 31,789 according to the AJC. That was down from over 35,000 in 2014. That includes student season tickets, so even remove 5,000 and there were 26,789 non-student season ticket holders. Even if you make an assumption that the number has dropped to 20,000 that is still a little over every third seat occupied. I can see scenarios where the capacity is limited to much less than 20,000. I think the rearrangement will also cause some season ticket holders to not want to attend.

I can also see scenarios where many season ticket holders decide not to attend. If you like your seats and the people around you, are you going to enjoy the game in some random(probably worse) area without your local season ticket crowd and socially distanced making it difficult to make new game day fans?

How few season ticket holders do you think we have? I haven't seen numbers for last year, and I haven't seen numbers for this year. In 2016, it was 31,789 according to the AJC. That was down from over 35,000 in 2014. That includes student season tickets, so even remove 5,000 and there were 26,789 non-student season ticket holders. Even if you make an assumption that the number has dropped to 20,000 that is still a little over every third seat occupied. I can see scenarios where the capacity is limited to much less than 20,000. I think the rearrangement will also cause some season ticket holders to not want to attend.

I can also see scenarios where many season ticket holders decide not to attend. If you like your seats and the people around you, are you going to enjoy the game in some random(probably worse) area without your local season ticket crowd and socially distanced making it difficult to make new game day fans?
I just want to see the games. I don't care how it is worked out, as long as I can be there.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I just want to see the games. I don't care how it is worked out, as long as I can be there.

I'm not advocating for season ticket holders to not attend. I am simply pointing out that some might decide not to if they are moved to a random location away from the people they know and spaced apart so they can't become friendly with the new people around them.

I was also pointing out that if capacity is limited below something like 50%, that it won't be possible to get all of the season ticket holders a new seat.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really hope you get to go , as for me right now I just hope they play this fall , I would like to go but after 39 years and a bad knee if I don't I guess I could watch them on TV and call you on the phone during the game I would guess with only 12,000 at the games you could hear it ring.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not advocating for season ticket holders to not attend. I am simply pointing out that some might decide not to if they are moved to a random location away from the people they know and spaced apart so they can't become friendly with the new people around them.

I was also pointing out that if capacity is limited below something like 50%, that it won't be possible to get all of the season ticket holders a new seat.
50% capacity would be a long shot keeping people 6 foot apart If they hold them to that I think in would be more like 25 to 30% if that would work.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
50% capacity would be a long shot keeping people 6 foot apart If they hold them to that I think in would be more like 25 to 30% if that would work.

Which is the reason I posted a response to @bke1984 , who said that he can't see a scenario under which every season ticket holder has a seat available for every game. At 25% capacity there are not nearly enough seats for every season ticket.