ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
  • The ACC would get to try out the pod system they have been pushing for a long time. They will probably push for a waiver to play a championship game in the pod system.
  • It would increase chances of changing schedules in the middle of the season. If on Monday you find out that you are playing team X on Saturday instead of team Y, it is a team that you have already had people scouting and planning for. If you aren't scheduled to play team Y at all until team X had issues, then it would be tough to scout, plan, and practice with 4 days notice.
  • It would make games even with ND in the mix.(No odd man out during the season)
  • Buy games can be coordinated more easily.
  • It could minimize travel: Put (FL State, Miami, GT, Clemson, one of the NC schools -- 3 NC schools, VT, Virginia --- All of the Northern and Western teams) Furthest travel would be between Lousiville and BC. The next longest would be an NC school and Miami. The Virginia-NC cluster would all be within a few hours drive of each other.
I like this, but it would be even easier to only play teams in our division. That keeps the championship game and reduces the number of games.

But … I continue to think that the season will have to be punted. Both the number of cases and the number of deaths are going up. If that continues through to September - and, unless we close down partially again, it will - then I don't think anybody much is going to risk going to the games. Or, for that matter, playing them. A football game is a perfect super-spreader event for the participants. One player with the disease could infect 30+ on both sides with ease.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I like this, but it would be even easier to only play teams in our division. That keeps the championship game and reduces the number of games.

But … I continue to think that the season will have to be punted. Both the number of cases and the number of deaths are going up. If that continues through to September - and, unless we close down partially again, it will - then I don't think anybody much is going to risk going to the games. Or, for that matter, playing them. A football game is a perfect super-spreader event for the participants. One player with the disease could infect 30+ on both sides with ease.

We're probably early in the wishful thinking phase, but let us have our little fun...

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
UGA puts stars by 1943 and 1944, saying we had military students eligible while they didn’t.

GT counts those dates though ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ga Tech isn't the only record keeper to include those two games. The NCAA and SEC also count those games as UGa had an opportunity to back out, but chose to schedule the games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not a fan of allowing ND to be an acc football team when it’s convenient.

Agreement as-is should remain. They are not in the acc.

Id be in favor of giving them the opportunity to join the acc permanently, but not for one season.

I'm fine with ND not playing any ACC opponents this year.

Maybe one of the few good things to come out of COVID.

Now if they pay $5,000,000 a game for each ACC opponent, I could be persuaded. But not $4,000,000 a game.

Let them lay in the bed they made.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
It is more than that. I think people are underestimating the amount of control that conference only games gives the conference. You can better ensure compliance with controls/testing. An FCS or G5 team looking for a payout might skirt the rules and play some slightly symptomatic players in a game that ends up pulling an ACC team out for a while. Or if symptoms occur in an ACC team the day after the next game, two ACC teams. On scheduling, if an ACC team finds several infected people the week of a game the ACC can adjust the schedule. If two teams find infected people the week of a game, the ACC could just move their opponents to play each other. That is much more complicated if OOC scheduling and contracts are in place.

This wouldn't be a bubble like the NBA is setting up, but it would be making a "bubble" around those involved in those games. However, there are 8 weeks left until college football might possibly begin. With conferences already going to backup plans this early, I don't like the odds of the season happening in the Fall at all.

Even if they don't try to "skirt" the rules, many FCS or G5 schools and conferences likely don't have the financial resources to conduct testing to the levels that the ACC, SEC, B1G, etc. have. So a much greater risk playing those teams. A game like GT vs. UGA at the end of the season though, a lot less risk, unless you're UGA trying to stay healthy for a run in the playoff.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

The number testing positive have gone up because many thousands more a day are being tested. Number of hospitalizations have not gone up appreciably and I think, according to what I've heard, deaths have not gone up at all.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The number testing positive have gone up because many thousands more a day are being tested. Number of hospitalizations have not gone up appreciably and I think, according to what I've heard, deaths have not gone up at all.

Percentages of positive tests are now back on the incline as are hospitalizations. The grim reaper is right behind them.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Even if they don't try to "skirt" the rules, many FCS or G5 schools and conferences likely don't have the financial resources to conduct testing to the levels that the ACC, SEC, B1G, etc. have. So a much greater risk playing those teams. A game like GT vs. UGA at the end of the season though, a lot less risk, unless you're UGA trying to stay healthy for a run in the playoff.

I agree that the mutt game isn't as risky to the conference. GT-mutts, Lousiville-Ky, FSU-UF, Clemson-USCe ---- All are at the very end of the season. Those games could take place without compromising the conferences ability to modify the schedule on the fly. Those games also would only impact the teams playing in the games. An OOC game at the beginning or middle of the season could have impacts on multiple ACC teams. I could see those games being played even if most of the schedule is conference only.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

This is almost 100% inaccurate.
As of tonight here are the US numbers (some of the states numbers are considerably worse than these)
Between 75-90% of the increase in cases is due to increased spread, not increased testing.
Since June 10th, 7 day avg cases have increased 171%, 7 day avg testing has increased 43%. The 7 day avg positive test rate has increased from 4.3% to 8.4%. (if spread was due to increased testing the positive test % would stay the same or decrease)

Hospitalizations are up 86% since June 21. The current trend is the most vertical the line has been since hospital tracking started.

In the last 3 days the 7 day avg death rate has increased 16% (from a 7 day avg of 525 to a 7 day avg of 614).
The death toll the last 4 days is the highest 4 day total since June 2-5. The death toll bottomed out last week, between Jun 30-Jul 3) and in the last 4 days has started a quick increase - much higher increase rate than the models were projecting a week ago.
https://public.tableau.com/profile/ckelly2528#!/vizhome/COVIDDashboard-Public/Introduction

We can end this social experiment and go about our lives like before as long as we are willing to accept the deaths of hundreds of thousands of American citizens between now and the end of the year and the cratering of the economy. If the deaths flattened to the number that have been reported the last 4 days you would be looking at over 150,000 additional deaths by Dec 31st.

FWIW, the state of GA announced this afternoon that they are converting part of the Georgia World Congress Center into a hospital for COVID patients
https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/g...nta-convention-center/0mQrnN9qhxmOEfIwVK0CzO/

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This is almost 100% inaccurate.
As of tonight here are the US numbers (some of the states numbers are considerably worse than these)
Between 75-90% of the increase in cases is due to increased spread, not increased testing.
Since June 10th, 7 day avg cases have increased 171%, 7 day avg testing has increased 43%. The 7 day avg positive test rate has increased from 4.3% to 8.4%. (if spread was due to increased testing the positive test % would stay the same or decrease)

Hospitalizations are up 86% since June 21. The current trend is the most vertical the line has been since hospital tracking started.

In the last 3 days the 7 day avg death rate has increased 16% (from a 7 day avg of 525 to a 7 day avg of 614).
The death toll the last 4 days is the highest 4 day total since June 2-5. The death toll bottomed out last week, between Jun 30-Jul 3) and in the last 4 days has started a quick increase - much higher increase rate than the models were projecting a week ago.
https://public.tableau.com/profile/ckelly2528#!/vizhome/COVIDDashboard-Public/Introduction

We can end this social experiment and go about our lives like before as long as we are willing to accept the deaths of hundreds of thousands of American citizens between now and the end of the year and the cratering of the economy. If the deaths flattened to the number that have been reported the last 4 days you would be looking at over 150,000 additional deaths by Dec 31st.
Our small county in NC has gone crazy the past two weeks. Our % positive tests have changed dramatically.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The ACC announced that they won't make a decision until late July. I think still working on the possibility of a full schedule and not making any changes yet is probably the best thing to do right now. I think the season is likely to be cancelled or delayed. If a conference goes quickly to plan B, and the a little later to plan C, then plan D before they actually cancel the season it will look silly.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck

Sure, lets play Clemson twice, lol

Could see this for somewhat social distance solutions. But just add Notre Dame, split into three groups of 5 and play home and home for 8 games. Not sure how they'll figure out 9 and 10 but it would defeat the social distancing part. Maybe it's a crossover opponent?

GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, and Louisville
BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Notre Dame, and Wake Forest
UNC, Duke, NCSU, UVA, and Va Tech

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The ACC announced that they won't make a decision until late July. I think still working on the possibility of a full schedule and not making any changes yet is probably the best thing to do right now. I think the season is likely to be cancelled or delayed. If a conference goes quickly to plan B, and the a little later to plan C, then plan D before they actually cancel the season it will look silly.

Many would regard it as silly, no doubt. But as uncertain all this is by its very nature, I for one will understand if that happens. As long as they have plans A, B, C, and D in place from the git go. What else can you do in such a sketchy situation?

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
7 day avg testing has increased 43%.

Thanks!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Many would regard it as silly, no doubt. But as uncertain all this is by its very nature, I for one will understand if that happens. As long as they have plans A, B, C, and D in place from the git go. What else can you do in such a sketchy situation?

I wasn't saying that having multiple plans is silly. Just that quickly reverting down the line is silly. I don't think the Big 10 or Pac 12 if confident that they will be able to execute a conference only schedule at this point. If they cancel all games in early August, then this announcement won't have actually meant anything.