ACC to play 10-game conference-only schedule for the 2020 season.

GT_EE78

Banned
poor choice.eliminating OOC doesn't make much sense, eliminating fans does.
I have doubts that they'll be able to efficiently use the schedule flexibility from this.
Hopefully other P5's will not follow.
I'm sure glad these Big10 commissioners weren't in charge on June 6,1944.
"we'll only open one beach today and everyone will walk slowly maintaining six foot separation"

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC goes to ten conference games, ND is in a bind. Swofford said ND would likely be in the mix. Note, "likely" is not equivalent to "will" or "shall" in contract law.

Assuming the ACC follows the B1G and schedules ten conference games for each team, that means we could have a ten week season that ends in time for the schools that plan to have finals before Thanksgiving. If these kids are truly student-athletes, those finals are critical. If ND is added to the mix, bye weeks are required to accommodate the odd number of teams and the scheduling gets really complicated.

As it is, ND has six games against ACC opponents. It looks like they could lose, in addition to Wisconsin, the games with Stanford and USC from the PAC-12, Arkansas from the SEC, Navy from the AAC, and maybe W. Michigan. It's a complicated mix since the SEC might wait a long time before announcing its 2020 plans (hoping to get a full season). If the ACC is switching to a conference only schedule, ND needs make some changes quickly and let the Swofford know what they are going to do. I do not see how the ACC can play six games against the Irish and and drop the Florida-FSU, Tech-uga, and Clemson-USCe games. From a PR stand point, that is very foolish. Keeping the six already scheduled games and not adding ND to the ten game conference schedule is even more problematic.

This could get very interesting in the next few weeks (maybe days).

To keep this season from getting more gnarled up then it is already, the best of all the bad options might end up being to just carry on the season as scheduled, OOC games and all, and just drop OOC games if and when OOC teams cancel. That way nobody can complain, and nobody can claim we're ducking them. If they play in our stadiums they play by our rules, masks, distancing, whatever.

Either that or cancel the season entirely. All or nothing. Simplify.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Somebody please explain to me again why a ten-game season is significantly safer than a 12-game season?

Travel can't be the reason. Several of our conference games are farther away then the non-conference foes, like UGA which is an hour and a half bus ride away.

I’m going to guess it’s not a safety issue. I’m guessing it’s a money issue. Many programs, from what I have heard in discussions on national sports radio, need the fans in the stand to make money. So I’m thinking that if there will be many fewer or even no fans then ACC teams along with the conference may be just agreeing that they can float 10 games financially. Other have brought up the point about conferences having more control over their games so that’s assumed in here as well. Not suggesting that a game like UGA-GT shouldn’t be played.

Just a thought. No evidence to back it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Not a fan of allowing ND to be an acc football team when it’s convenient.

Agreement as-is should remain. They are not in the acc.

Id be in favor of giving them the opportunity to join the acc permanently, but not for one season.

While I understand the sentiment here I don’t like the idea of using the pandemic as a lever to force ND into anything. I get that this is huge business and I’m not morally opposed to it nor am I naive enough to think this isn’t happening all over in other businesses. I just don’t love the idea.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
While I understand the sentiment here I don’t like the idea of using the pandemic as a lever to force ND into anything. I get that this is huge business and I’m not morally opposed to it nor am I naive enough to think this isn’t happening all over in other businesses. I just don’t love the idea.

It could backfire, if they end up in the Big 10 instead of the ACC. Of course, some wouldn't mind that. The only thing I have against Notre Dame is the same thing I have against Louisville - they aren't in a state that borders the Atlantic.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
poor choice.eliminating OOC doesn't make much sense, eliminating fans does.
I have doubts that they'll be able to efficiently use the schedule flexibility from this.
Hopefully other P5's will not follow.
I'm sure glad these Big10 commissioners weren't in charge on June 6,1944.
"we'll only open one beach today and everyone will walk slowly maintaining six foot separation"

The elimination of OOC is mostly due to the "payout" associated with those that aren't home and home agreements. I.e. why pay Gardner Webb to come and play when we wouldn't be able to cover the payout amount.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
To keep this season from getting more gnarled up then it is already, the best of all the bad options might end up being to just carry on the season as scheduled, OOC games and all, and just drop OOC games if and when OOC teams cancel. That way nobody can complain, and nobody can claim we're ducking them. If they play in our stadiums they play by our rules, masks, distancing, whatever.

Either that or cancel the season entirely. All or nothing. Simplify.

$$$ payout

GT_EE78

Banned
The elimination of OOC is mostly due to the "payout" associated with those that aren't home and home agreements. I.e. why pay Gardner Webb to come and play when we wouldn't be able to cover the payout amount.
Thanks for responding. I agree that makes sense for the paying home team, both teams could benefit if they can agree on smaller payout(likely assumes some fans)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It could backfire, if they end up in the Big 10 instead of the ACC. Of course, some wouldn't mind that. The only thing I have against Notre Dame is the same thing I have against Louisville - they aren't in a state that borders the Atlantic.

But their state touches a state that touches a state to touches the Atlantic... kind of like "electricity" when play tag with a "safe base"... ;)

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It is more than that. I think people are underestimating the amount of control that conference only games gives the conference. You can better ensure compliance with controls/testing. An FCS or G5 team looking for a payout might skirt the rules and play some slightly symptomatic players in a game that ends up pulling an ACC team out for a while. Or if symptoms occur in an ACC team the day after the next game, two ACC teams. On scheduling, if an ACC team finds several infected people the week of a game the ACC can adjust the schedule. If two teams find infected people the week of a game, the ACC could just move their opponents to play each other. That is much more complicated if OOC scheduling and contracts are in place.

This wouldn't be a bubble like the NBA is setting up, but it would be making a "bubble" around those involved in those games. However, there are 8 weeks left until college football might possibly begin. With conferences already going to backup plans this early, I don't like the odds of the season happening in the Fall at all.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But their state touches a state that touches a state to touches the Atlantic... kind of like "electricity" when play tag with a "safe base"... ;)

Indiana touches Lake Michigan, which connects to the St. Lawrence Seaway and out to the Atlantic. I guess that will have to do.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What would be the advantage of this? Maybe less distance travelled? Seems a small advantage, to me.

• The ACC would get to try out the pod system they have been pushing for a long time. They will probably push for a waiver to play a championship game in the pod system.
  • It would increase chances of changing schedules in the middle of the season. If on Monday you find out that you are playing team X on Saturday instead of team Y, it is a team that you have already had people scouting and planning for. If you aren't scheduled to play team Y at all until team X had issues, then it would be tough to scout, plan, and practice with 4 days notice.
  • It would make games even with ND in the mix.(No odd man out during the season)
  • Buy games can be coordinated more easily.
  • It could minimize travel: Put (FL State, Miami, GT, Clemson, one of the NC schools -- 3 NC schools, VT, Virginia --- All of the Northern and Western teams) Furthest travel would be between Lousiville and BC. The next longest would be an NC school and Miami. The Virginia-NC cluster would all be within a few hours drive of each other.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
  • The ACC would get to try out the pod system they have been pushing for a long time. They will probably push for a waiver to play a championship game in the pod system.
Remember to add teams would be a bad move till the new TV contracts are due . why divide the money with more teams it's not like ESPN has the money now. Plus we can kiss ND A*s but they will not join the ACC in football now or later