ACC Standings

slugboy

Staff member
Bowl pairings come out next week. Only one team with a losing record going bowling. VT stoping UVA had something to do with that. And here’s the play (sorry, not ACC, but it’s how the bowl eligibility list got set):

And here is the list of bowl-eligible teams:

Mack Brown is once for a second time hearing “when you gonna retire?” at UNC:

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just to stick a pin in this, FSU beating even a mediocre Florida team when they are clearly rattled without their star quarterback, was a testimony to their depth at other positions. Their game against Louisville will be a different story since it’s clear after the Kentucky game that Louisville has been prepping for FSU.
Not so sure about your take on Louisville. Kentucky has owned them lately and is still a dangerous team even though the second half of the season fell apart for them.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not so sure about your take on Louisville. Kentucky has owned them lately and is still a dangerous team even though the second half of the season fell apart for them.
No, you don’t understand. When an ACC team loses to an SEC team, there’s always a reason other than they got beat. Either they didn’t care, the game didn’t matter, the refs stole the game, our best players didn’t play…take your pick or make up one of your own. Same when an ACC team loses a bowl game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have not talked to any of my UNC pals, but they have to be terribly disappointed in how this season played out. At one point they thought it was reasonable for them to be confident the CFP might include them. They we 4-0 and Drake may was being talked about for the Heisman. The same, to some extent, with Miami. The 3rd team that has to be disappointed is Clemson. On the upside, us and UL have to be thrilled with our season. No one thought UL would be ranked in the top 10 and playing for the ACC championship. And, we were picked to be 13th in the conference.

Which ACC coach deserves COY more than Brent Key?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I have not talked to any of my UNC pals, but they have to be terribly disappointed in how this season played out. At one point they thought it was reasonable for them to be confident the CFP might include them. They we 4-0 and Drake may was being talked about for the Heisman. The same, to some extent, with Miami. The 3rd team that has to be disappointed is Clemson. On the upside, us and UL have to be thrilled with our season. No one thought UL would be ranked in the top 10 and playing for the ACC championship. And, we were picked to be 13th in the conference.

Jeff Brohm

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

Jeff Brohm
Mike Norvell

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck

But isn't this what UNC does every year? Seems like they always finish each season with a 4 game losing streak.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So do we want to call Miami and UNC Top 25 wins or nah?

I agree both teams proved they were not Top 25 this year despite the artificial ranking at the time of our game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
So do we want to call Miami and UNC Top 25 wins or nah?

I agree both teams proved they were not Top 25 this year despite the artificial ranking at the time of our game.
We lost to four teams that were probably the better team at the time of the game. I still see the BG and BC games as head scratchers. What we we thinking heading in to those games?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
We have been a reasonably healthy team this year. If Jamal, Singleton, or King had been severely injured the offense would have been hampered. Same with key losses on both lines. Duke is not the same time without Leonard. Syracuse not the same with their QB out. We have gotten through the season in pretty good shape. That has helped keep us competitive.
Which sort of averages out what happened last year. Talk about what might have been...

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Actually, I have read some commentators say that the transfer portal has hurt the factories more than lower teams for this reason. According to them, the factories used to be three to four deep at four star players who would wait until their JR or SR year to start. When they lost the four/five star DE to injury a four/five star DE took over. When he was injured or needed to rest, another four/five star DE took over. When he needed to rest, another four/five star DE replaced him. Those 3rd/4th string players are not waiting to start any longer and transferring to a place where they can start and get NIL money. Even 2nd strings in some cases.

I haven't gone through rosters and analyzed transfers to be able to say that this is correct. However, it would help explain why football seems to be more even this year than it has been the past 10 years or so. There are still several undefeated teams, but there aren't any that are clearly unbeatable. If this was a BCS year, you could just as easily draw numbers as decide who the best two teams in college football are.
This ought to be relatively easy to analyze on a small sample size of, say, 10 Top 10 teams or so.

Not saying I'm the man for the job, but SOMEBODY ought to look into this.

😁