ACC Predictions 2019-20

Where will Tech finish in the 2019-20 ACC standings?

• 1-4

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 5-8

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • 9-12

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • 13-15

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I do understand that this is probably the only fan base that actually blames fans for failures , it’s really amazing
And as a I said earlier , maybe the athletic department should decide if we’re gonna compete with big boys or join the Ivy League !i know it helps when people show for games & give $$ but if the administration wants us to be a nerd school & forget athletics then we can’t change that . I think we’ve got a decent basketball team this year & that’s why I’m saying Wednesday night is important cause we have a chance to beat the dogs in something

You really have no comprehension of the college athletics arms race and how you passing the buck is just as unacceptable as the administration doing the same.

You also, very clearly, have no clue about the efforts our administration is taking to invest in athletics, with Todd Stansbury raising $120MM+ to improve facilities, staffing, and overall resources. Not that it matters, since you think it's everyone else's problem to raise that investment, while you sponge off of those efforts.

Living that carefree life in Fantasy Land has to be awesome.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
You really have no comprehension of the college athletics arms race and how you passing the buck is just as unacceptable as the administration doing the same.

You also, very clearly, have no clue about the efforts our administration is taking to invest in athletics, with Todd Stansbury raising $120MM+ to improve facilities, staffing, and overall resources. Not that it matters, since you think it's everyone else's problem to raise that investment, while you sponge off of those efforts.

Living that carefree life in Fantasy Land has to be awesome.
I’m not gonna argue with this but you honestly think the reason Duke & unc are good in basketball & the reason uga & Bama are good in football is because the average Joe sends money to the athletic department ? No it’s cause they’re factories , & put athletics higher on priority list than GT does

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m not gonna argue with this but you honestly think the reason Duke & unc are good in basketball & the reason uga & Bama are good in football is because the average Joe sends money to the athletic department ? No it’s cause they’re factories , & put athletics higher on priority list than GT does

Factories are built with money. Money comes from investors. Investors are the supporters of every program from the common joe on the street to the biggest dollar booster.

Clemson did it through IPTAY. Duke did it through the Iron Dukes. We're trying to do it through the A/T Fund and AI 2020.

It doesn't come from the school directly. It comes from those who support the school.

So, yeah, I honestly believe it's because fans at every level do what they can if they want their school to have the resources necessary to compete. I believe it because it's true.

Deleted member 2897

Well partly yes, but partly it’s because of what the school lets those programs get away with. UNC had a good reputation academically, but they let them build a program full of fake classes getting their university on academic certification on probation so they could have good sports teams.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The money is a big reason why they are a factory.

From the NCAA - 34% of Div 1 FBS revenue comes from media rights. The next 2 biggest slices are donors and ticket sales followed by licensing.
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/finances-intercollegiate-athletics-database

That's why schools like TX and TX A&M have over $200M in revenue while GT has revenue of $91M. Why UGA and AL have $77M in revenue and FSU has $168M.

That difference is not being driven by TV money.
https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Revenue is not the only piece of the equation, but it is an important one. Blue Bloods in each sport have a built in advantage to begin with and academics play a role as well.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, wake forest just lost to uncc. DM’s seat just got a bit warmer.

None of this may matter. Wake is a private school so they don't have to release their coaching contracts but Jeff Goodman reported last year that Manning's contract that he received after making the first 4 was a 7 yr contract that was 100% fully guaranteed. Rumor was to fire him last year would have cost around $18M, which means firing after this year could be in the $15M range. Wake, like GT, is not a school that is just drowning in cash for its athletics programs.

Wouldn't shock me if they have to keep Manning for multiple years yet. If they do fire him it will be interesting to see how much money they have to spend on a new coach.

I do think they are more likely than VT now to end up in the 15th spot in the conference, even though they have more talent.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well partly yes, but partly it’s because of what the school lets those programs get away with. UNC had a good reputation academically, but they let them build a program full of fake classes getting their university on academic certification on probation so they could have good sports teams.
And paid absolutely no price when caught.....**** the NCAA!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
None of this may matter. Wake is a private school so they don't have to release their coaching contracts but Jeff Goodman reported last year that Manning's contract that he received after making the first 4 was a 7 yr contract that was 100% fully guaranteed. Rumor was to fire him last year would have cost around $18M, which means firing after this year could be in the $15M range. Wake, like GT, is not a school that is just drowning in cash for its athletics programs.

Wouldn't shock me if they have to keep Manning for multiple years yet. If they do fire him it will be interesting to see how much money they have to spend on a new coach.

I do think they are more likely than VT now to end up in the 15th spot in the conference, even though they have more talent.
We are watching the re-incarnation of Paul Hewitt .....

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
My final ACC projections

1-Louisville
2-Duke
3-UNC
4-NC State
5-Notre Dame
6-Virginia
7-FSU
8-Miami
9-Pitt
10-GT
11-Syracuse
12-Clemson
13-VT
14-Wake
15-BC

Admittedly a bit of gold colored glasses but having now watched some of the teams above us in this esteemed prognostication, I am getting reasonably optimistic about ending up in the top half of the league. Pitt, FSU and NCSU in particularly look beatable. Miami is getting new players (as we are) so not totally sure how to peg them and ND is still rusty though likely going to get better. Lot of work to do for us as well but I am starting to think the middle of the ACC is not overly strong this year - least not yet.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Admittedly a bit of gold colored glasses but having now watched some of the teams above us in this esteemed prognostication, I am getting reasonably optimistic about ending up in the top half of the league. Pitt, FSU and NCSU in particularly look beatable. Miami is getting new players (as we are) so not totally sure how to peg them and ND is still rusty though likely going to get better. Lot of work to do for us as well but I am starting to think the middle of the ACC is not overly strong this year - least not yet.

agreed. When we get Usher back we should be as good as FSU IMHO. We also have a favorable schedule down the stretch.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Speaking of... UK nearly got beat by a *pretty good* Utah Valley State team last night. UTVS was down by 1 with 4 minutes to go when their leading scorer couldnt keep his mouth shut and got a Tech for talking **** to the ref. Poor choice on his part. There were some seriously deep bomb 3 balls coming from Utah Valley.
I live in Kentucky now and this year people are more down on UK than they were during the last few years of Tubbie. So if we go in a punch them in the teeth, I think we can keep the game at arms length

The one major thing I noticed is UK's TERRIBLE on ball defense and ability to shake off screens. They are vulnerable inside even with Big Richards down low. He's slow and pretty unatheltic from what I can tell. And also they only have one true slasher and thats Hagans (sigh) he's like our Alvarado, but shoots better. They really like standing outside and looking for open shots or the opportunity to feed Richards a alley.... They're a freshman wannabe highlight reel. They wont win the SEC this year with their selfish play

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
ND beats Presbyterian 63-53, John Mooney did not play. ND did go 10-26 from 3-pt range.
Pitt beat Monmouth 63-50. This was a close game until late. Johnson played better in the 2nd half. Pitt won this game at the FT line. Pitt continues to struggle to shoot from outside.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

IMO after Duke, UNC, and UL there is a pretty big drop and I'm not completely sold on UNC being in that group either. There is certainly a chance for a middle of the pack team to jump up with good improvement over the course of the year. We have an opportunity, especially if we can get Parham going sinking some threes but we have to improve our consistency and gel as a team quickly. It's obviously a leg up that we started with a road victory against one of those teams we're competing against, with games against UGA, UK, Arkansas and Nebraska, we'll be well tested before the start of ACC play.

Looking at our ACC schedule we have

@NCSU - W
Cuse -
@FSU

@UNC
Duke
@BC
ND
UVA

@UL
NCSU
@ND
VT
@Pitt

UL
@Wake
@Cuse
Clemson
Miami
Pitt
@Clemson

Based on recent history I would say we'd need to win 13 or 14 to get the 4th spot in the ACC. I've bolded what I think is our best chances to get to 14. Realistically I think we'd have to beat one of Duke/UL at home because I don't see us playing consistent enough to win all the remaining games. I also think that there is a decent chance 13 or 12 wins could get 4th due to their not, so it seems, being an abundance of just absolutely bad teams and imo the bottom teams will for sure get some wins against teams competing for that 4th spot (looking at Pitt over FSU).

IMO beating Cuse at is an almost must imo, and beating FSU on the road will be important due to it being right before @UNC/Duke. Same with @BC afterwards. We can afford to lose 2 or 3 in a row. Really don't want to build up negative momentum though.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Well, I voted in the 5-8 range, but was thinking more like 7. I'm ecstatic to be 5th!!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll tell everyone and their mother we finished 5th. It's good for lay man perception and recruiting.

Among friends though, this was far from a "very good" season in my book. I picked 5-8 expecting that meant NCAAT contender, not hopeful for a couple more wins to make the NIT. The league was at an extraordinary low.

Nonetheless we are set up to be a trendy pick next year. There is no running away from NCAAT expectations. I think we can get there. I love that we can hang our hat on our defense. Our offense will need to improve to feel comfortable, not stressed/hopeful, about our chances.