ACC Predictions 2019-20

Where will Tech finish in the 2019-20 ACC standings?

• 1-4

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 5-8

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • 9-12

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • 13-15

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You can’t complain on here ? I see a lot of it , this is a fan board , & we’re talking about a traditionally good b-ball team with potential that has been to 2 ncaa tourneys in last 12 years & is in the middle of ncaa sanctions , I think if people weren’t complaining something may be wrong

I've been complaining this whole thread that your only objective on this board is to complain.

Deleted member 2897

I’m saying 17-14 overall , 9-11 in ACC , hope it’s a lot better , but I also think someone better than Pastner should be leading us , GT basketball should be so much better than what it’s been , Ugag is out recruiting us & that shouldn’t happen either . Go jackets & I hope better days are ahead !

This post aged well. GO JACKETS!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
That win is timely for recruiting and early signing period. Can we add one more during our appeal?

Yes. It would probably delay the scholarship reduction a year, but if we add a commit before the appeal comes back we wouldn't have to withdraw an offer.

Would love to see us add Saba Gigiberia

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
So Syracuse only scored 34 points against the Hoos last night. Granted UVA only put up like 48 but idk if Cuse is that bad or that Pack Line D is that good but I think UVA drops way off this year

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some quick overreactions based on one game (sort of nice though that all 15 teams start against a legit program).

BC - Nice job getting a home win over Wake. Christian does tend to get good play out of his guards. Both Thornton and FR Heath played really well. Popovic was solid but didn't rebound well. Mitchell as usual did everything well but score. Their FR all had their moments. Both Hamilton brothers left with injuries. Neither was impressive before they left. Still see this as a bottom 4 team, but might be one of the better bottom four.

Clemson - yuck. This is a year you cannot lose to VT. You especially cannot lose to them at home in game one. The FR guards have promise but will go through the pains of having to start as FR. Simms did not play well in the 5 spot against an extrememly undersized VT frontline. Mack was ok. as was Newman. I thought their defense and World University games experience would lead to a relatively easy win, but they shot extremelty poorly and allowed Nolley to go off. Looks like a bottom 4 team.

Duke - Impressive first win. No singular talents like Barrett and Williamson from last year. but alot of high level talent. Played good defense in game 1, which was not their forte next year. looks like one of the top 2 teams in the conference.

FSU - Losing at home to Pitt in game 1 is a look. They did not shoot the ball well and had a ton of fouls (the difference in the game as Pitt made 22 FT and FSU attempted 15). MJ Walker hasn't improved 1 bit since he walked on campus 2 years ago. I suspect they will be much better later in the season, but this is one they let get away.In that big blob of middle of the pack teams.

GT - Alot to clean up but positive signs as well. All 5 starters got to double figures, but bench needs to contribute more. Parham was better as a PG than a scorer in game 1. After watching Moore sort of thinking of Usher being the sixth man where he versatility to play 2-3-4 could be maximized. Defense was awful early. Getting a short handed NCST team on the road was a nice break.

L'ville - Looks like one of the top 2 teams with Duke. Talented and experienced, they simply took Miami apart on the road.

Miami - ouch. Not how you want to start your season, but it was against a likely Top 5 team. Looked suspect inside, though Miller wasn't awful, just outmatched. Probably a middle of the pack team.

UNC - Sort of mixed after the first game. Got the win but relying on one player is going to cause problems. After Anthony the only other double digit scorer was Brooks with 10. Bacot better learn how to shoot FT's or he is going to get the hack-a-shaq treatment. Pierce and Keeling were sort of quiet as grad transfers. They need their injured players back. Top 4 team though.

NCST - Let one get away without 2 starters. Bates looked really good as a defensive center but has horrible hands on offense. in the halfcourt they mainly played hero ball and were lucky that Bryce was really hot. Andree is a nice piece. Face up four man, but will need space. They don't really have a PG after Johnson. Another in big middle.

Notre Dame - Not a bad performance on the road against a Top 15 type team. hubbs and gibbs were both fantasic. Pflueger looked rusty. Laszewski had a bad game. I'm higher on them after their first game then before. But another in that huge middle (I sort of see a top 4, a bottom 4 and a middle 7).

Pitt - Really nice road win. Fueled by their bench which outplayed their starters. Hamilton and Brown were an effective 2 headed center. Murphy played really well and McGowens and Johnson were good. None of their wings played well.

Syracuse - double yuck. Fewest points scored in the Carrier Dome by 10 pts. Looked inept offensively. They have problems at both PG and in the middle. Carey can drive but can't shoot. Girard can shoot but can't drive. None of the FR appeared ready to play against the top defense in the country. Boeheim had an off shooting game and only Hughes looked capable of generating any offense. How much was Syracuse and how much was UVA's defense?

UVA - nice start but this isn't last year's team. Is going to have to rely even more on its defense which was in mid-season form. Not sure how good this team is going to be on offense. Doesn't look like it has the shooters it had last year. It's defense will keep it in the Top 25 (and likely a Top 4 ACC team), but this is probably not a top 10 type team.

VT - great win. Snuck out of Clemson with a road ACC win. Nolley was on fire. Has significant long term issues for this year though. Has a complete lack of size - Nolley was the only player over 6'5 who got on the floor. No one outside of Nolley showed any consistent offense (Nolley was 12-23, rest of team 10-34). Well coached but as opponents get game film they will have a much harder time winning games. Could be like Pitt last year (who won 2 of its first 4 and then lost 13 straight ACC games). Bottom 4 team, but will play disciplined and hard.

Wake - How many years before they can swallow Manning's contract. Just a poorly coached, poorly developed team. Childress was Childress and Mucious had an impressve game, but no one else looked very good. Will be quite susceptible inside. The last of the bottom 4 teams. Brown doesn't look much better than when he was a FR.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Great post Red. I think you just shed a lot of light on the conference. I think GT can really push for a 5th or 6th place in conference this year. I was not impressed with what I saw overall from middle of the pack teams

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Last night was the third time I have seen the Irish take the floor. They just cannot shoot the basketball.

Hubbs and Gibbs were 9-15 from three point range, rest of the team was 0-16. They aren't a particularly strong or athletic team near the basket so they need to be hitting shots. They are also perfectly balanced with a rotation of 4 SR and 4 SO (no JR or FR).

The Syracuse-UVA game was difficult to watch (I only saw part of the 2nd half). UVa was not good offensively, but Syracuse was truly putrid. Syracuse looks like a team that is all in on relying on 3-pt shooting to score, and when they aren't falling like last night they are going to look really ugly on offense.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hubbs and Gibbs were 9-15 from three point range, rest of the team was 0-16. They aren't a particularly strong or athletic team near the basket so they need to be hitting shots. They are also perfectly balanced with a rotation of 4 SR and 4 SO (no JR or FR)

The Syracuse-UVA game was difficult to watch (I only saw part of the 2nd half). UVa was not good offensively, but Syracuse was truly putrid. Syracuse looks like a team that is all in on relying on 3-pt shooting to score, and when they aren't falling like last night they are going to look really ugly on offense.

I agree about ND’s makeup. I actually picked them to finish fifth. On paper they should be very good.

I watched the entirety of the UVA/Cuse game this morning before work. I predicted Cuse to be brutal and they didn’t disappoint. Clark, Diakite and Huff played well. Morsell and Woldetensae did not. Stattman rcvd some run, he’s an interesting player. 6’7 and can shoot it

Deleted member 2897

Hubbs and Gibbs were 9-15 from three point range, rest of the team was 0-16. They aren't a particularly strong or athletic team near the basket so they need to be hitting shots. They are also perfectly balanced with a rotation of 4 SR and 4 SO (no JR or FR).

Syracuse had to go on a run at the end to get to 34 points. TOTAL.

Long way to go, but there are definitely a bunch of games we can win in the ACC. In years past, we lost to teams like Grambling and Wofford. We need to get through the OOC games without doing that this year.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Syracuse had to go on a run at the end to get to 34 points. TOTAL.

Long way to go, but there are definitely a bunch of games we can win in the ACC. In years past, we lost to teams like Grambling and Wofford. We need to get through the OOC games without doing that this year.

Starting with Elon on Monday that will have a hefty local contingent cheering against us in what's likely a sparse crowd.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I watched the Syracuse game as well.

From the Syracuse side, it was worse than I expected. Doubt anyone predicted 34 points, frankly. But I attribute the performance moreso to the Virginia defense, which in game 1 was the same or better than last year. I am inclined to go with the latter, since Guy was often someone you could pick on, relatively speaking. Not so this year. And Virginia was already #1 or #2 in the country on D last year.

Where Virginia is different is they will struggle to score the ball. They scored 48 points. Granted, Syracuse' zone was ahead of where I expected it to be for a rotation that is 2/3 true frosh and true sophs and with less length at the top.

To that end, this was not an ideal first defense for either team to play that is trying to find a new identity on O. I expect both will get better. Either way, before watching Wednesday's game, whether we were to play Syracuse early (which we do) or late, I expected that we should beat them, especially at home.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
To that end, this was not an ideal first defense for either team to play that is trying to find a new identity on O.

So is that why Boheim was so salty with the ACC about playing a conference game first instead of 4 NY directional schools? :p

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
So is that why Boheim was so salty with the ACC about playing a conference game first instead of 4 NY directional schools? :p
Don't you call Colgate and Cornell directional schools!

He's salty about lots of things. In this case, he actually was against ACC games to start the year prior to the announcement of UVA as the opponent.