ACC Predictions 2019-20

Where will Tech finish in the 2019-20 ACC standings?

• 1-4

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 5-8

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • 9-12

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • 13-15

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Big section of ESPN's preview is dedicated to Georgia Tech.

ESPN ACC 2019-20 predictions: Defending national champs ranked ... 4th?

You could describe more than one-quarter of the ACC's coaches as "embattled" entering 2019-20. Of Jim Christian (Boston College), Brad Brownell (Clemson), Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech) and Danny Manning (Wake Forest), who has the best chance to catch fire and survive?

Borzello: Josh Pastner might have the worst narrative surrounding any of the four coaches heading into the season, but I also think Georgia Tech has the most talent it's had since Pastner took over. Now, it remains to be seen how the NCAA tournament ban is going to impact the team in terms of motivation levels toward the end of the season, but the Yellow Jackets can certainly push for a top-half finish in the league if things fall correctly.

Four starters are back from last season's team, they get USC transfer Jordan Usher eligible in December and high-scoring VMI transfer Bubba Parham was given a waiver to play immediately this season. Granted, it's a lot of the same players who finished 14-18 overall last season, but on paper, Georgia Tech can match up fairly well with the likes of Syracuse and Miami in the middle of the league.

Gasaway: What Jeff said. Pastner has the best 2019-20 team out of the coaches mentioned here, but he also owns the worst situation in knowing there's no way this group's playing in the NCAA tournament. So embrace that paradox. Assuming guys like Jose Alvarado and Parham can perform up to their potential in the shadow of a postseason ban, one possibility is that the Yellow Jackets go .500 or so in ACC play. That would be a respectable showing, one that might even be viewed as encouraging in terms of the direction of the program.

But is that really catching fire? Will it be enough? Put it this way, this particular list of embattled ACC coaches is not likely to look the same one year from now, and not because all four will have played their way out of jeopardy, either.

Medcalf: I'll echo what Jeff said too, although it's weird to think of Josh Pastner saving his job only for Georgia Tech fans to be reminded of the drama attached to his tenure when they remember that they can't participate in the postseason. Just a weird situation. The team fell apart during a seven-game losing streak midway through ACC play. But, to Jeff's point, Pastner has a solid collection of newcomers and seven players who averaged double-digit minutes a year ago. But I won't be surprised if every coach on that list is looking for a new job after the season. Based on money alone and his sizable buyout, Danny Manning might be the one still standing, regardless of what happens this year.

Deleted member 2897

Another take

Interesting: so the top 4 teams in his predictions are:
1) Louisville: Caught paying a player $100,000, among many other scandals.
2) Duke: Kryzyzewski is the Lance Armstrong of college basketball - more scandals (like Zions Mom getting fake jobs).
3) UNCheat: King of fake classes.
4) NC State: One if the very first to be caught up in the FBI/wiretap scandal, exposing how Dennis Smith was paid to go there.

Looks like cheating pays off!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You could describe more than one-quarter of the ACC's coaches as "embattled" entering 2019-20. Of Jim Christian (Boston College), Brad Brownell (Clemson), Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech) and Danny Manning (Wake Forest), who has the best chance to catch fire and survive?

Dunno about the other teams but on paper GT appears to have a lot of the pieces needed for a winning formula.

Several experience quality guards who can handle the ball and shoot 3s (Jose, Mike, Bubba)
A very good defensive center than can also contribute offense some (Banks)
Several good athletes that can play off the experience of the guards for easy buckets and cause problems on defense (Moses, Moore, Usher)
Good role players that can step in and provide what is missing (shooting or ball handling) from a certain lineup or some depth (Phillips, Sjolund, Cole)
Developmental pieces that could surprise in a game or two (Price and Didenko)

Still missing the true top end player (imagine if we had a senior Okogie...), and we need several players to improve their consistency, but there is a realistic chance that this is our best team in more than a decade.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Interesting: so the top 4 teams in his predictions are:
1) Louisville: Caught paying a player $100,000, among many other scandals.
2) Duke: Kryzyzewski is the Lance Armstrong of college basketball - more scandals (like Zions Mom getting fake jobs).
3) UNCheat: King of fake classes.
4) NC State: One if the very first to be caught up in the FBI/wiretap scandal, exposing how Dennis Smith was paid to go there.

Looks like cheating pays off!
NCSU is missing their second best player DJ Funderburk. We should punch them in the mouth to open the season.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
With an appeal & as slow as the ncaa is, I can see postseason this year & a ban next season.

They still haven't finished Missouri's appeal either. If mizzou fb gets to go bowling, I like our chances to dance.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I think we can make a run at 20 wins. OOC is tough I think we go 8-3. Losses at Kentucky, Houston in Hawaii and someone else. In ACC play I think we go 10-10 but that opening stretch is brutal! @ FSU, @ Unc, Duke, then UVA and @ Louisville 2 weeks later. We’re looking at 2-6 possibly. The back half of league play is where we should take off and win a few games to close the year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
NCSU is missing their second best player DJ Funderburk. We should punch them in the mouth to open the season.
He will probably rejoin the team. He is attending practices. I expect he will be back once he "has shown remorse" just in time for ACC play. Coaches aren't going to jeopardise their big salaries by kicking one of their best players off the team.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Looking at the poll, we have an almost 50/50 split of us finishing 5-8 vs. 9-12.

The difference in those tiers is arguably the difference between NCAA tournament vs. not... ignoring postseason ban.

We do have a single 1-4 vote.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
My Predictions for ACC Men's Basketball 2019-2020

1) Louisville
2) Duke
3) Virginia
4) North Carolina
5) FSU
6) NCSU
7) Miami
8) Notre Dame
9) Syracuse
10) Virginia Tech
11) Clemson
12) Georgia Tech
13) Boston College
14) Pitt
15) Wake Forest

Louisville,Duke,Virginia,North Carolina,FSU,NCSU and Miami go to the NCAA Tournament

Notre Dame,Syracuse and Virginia Tech go to the NIT Tournament