ACC office may leave Greensboro

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Raleigh is a maybe. it has a decent airport and only pro team is hockey. It still is in the heart if Tobacco road teams. It is up and coming techno center but is not the international city that Atlanta is. The ACC needs to shed it's perceived NC influence.
Yep, the ACC needs to join the 21st century and move to an international city.

The SEC getting a toe hold in Atlanta made no cultural sense to me at the time when they chose it for their championship. The SEC is much more of a rural conference (I avoided saying cow-town) as opposed to the ACC being more urban overall. Miami, Atlanta, Boston and New York are closer to ACC culture.

Then there is the idea of neutral towns and/or central locations. Back in the day, the SEC would fill those requirements by choosing either Birmingham, Columbus or Jacksonville for their neutral site games. They should have stayed with their culture and origins but since they didn’t I see no reason for the ACC to surrender and stay with North Carolina for the same antiquated “cultural” reasons.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow

The SEC getting a toe hold in Atlanta made no cultural sense to me at the time when they chose it for their championship. The SEC is much more of a rural conference (I avoided saying cow-town) as opposed to the ACC being more urban overall. Miami, Atlanta, Boston and New York are closer to ACC culture.

Then there is the idea of neutral towns and/or central locations. Back in the day, the SEC would fill those requirements by choosing either Birmingham, Columbus or Jacksonville for their neutral site games. They should have stayed with their culture and origins but since they didn’t I see no reason for the ACC to surrender and stay with North Carolina for the same antiquated “cultural” reasons.

Lol. You think all those graduates of the all these "cowtown colleges" stay in the "rural" cowtowns? They all come to Atlanta. There are an order of magnitude more alumni of SEC schools in Atlanta than any other conference.

Not so with Charlotte. GT would be the worst example for an anchor. Our alumni diaspora doesn't stick around in Atlanta.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer

I prefer to refer to the agriculture and journalism school down the road as the large Suburban College east of Atlanta. Athens is now just pretty much a suburb of Atlanta.

Rural colleges are nice. City colleges are cool. But no potential football player grows up thinking "I want to play in a suburban college!"

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Lol. You think all those graduates of the all these "cowtown colleges" stay in the "rural" cowtowns? They all come to Atlanta. There are an order of magnitude more alumni of SEC schools in Atlanta than any other conference.

Not so with Charlotte. GT would be the worst example for an anchor. Our alumni diaspora doesn't stick around in Atlanta.
You would be amazed how many alumni gravitate back to Athens. For many, it was the highlight of their life and the peak of their existence. As for Atlanta, it’s a hub for B1G, PAC, ACC and whole lot of alumni from all over. What Tech used to control was the sidewalk fans which have shifted heavily to uga. The vast majority of uga fans I know did not go to school in Athens.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The vast majority of uga fans I know did not go to school in Athens.
What I found to be funny was going to the store and see one all dress out in uga crap. asking him if he was a uga fan him saying yes as big as they come he doesn't miss a game. Then looking at my watch and saying well you are missing one they have been on TV for an hour and looking at his face.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

The B1G being in Chicago with Northwestern as the anchor school is no different, other than GT has more and better football history.

GT flunkout

Jolly Good Fellow
The B1G being in Chicago with Northwestern as the anchor school is no different, other than GT has more and better football history.

Ehhh I would say it's a whole lot different. There's no doubt the Big Ten owns Chicago and has no competition. NW is overshadowed in Chicago by its conference brethren, not some other conference. B1G is not in Chicago because of Northwestern.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ehhh I would say it's a whole lot different. There's no doubt the Big Ten owns Chicago and has no competition. NW is overshadowed in Chicago by its conference brethren, not some other conference. B1G is not in Chicago because of Northwestern.
And the ACC wouldn't be in Atlanta because of Georgia Tech. It would be in Atlanta because it's the Capital of the South, an international city, and the center of college football. Perfect place for the headquarters for the ACC. Charlotte is probably the next best location, but there's no doubt, strategically, Atlanta is the biggest bang.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And the ACC wouldn't be in Atlanta because of Georgia Tech. It would be in Atlanta because it's the Capital of the South, an international city, and the center of college football. Perfect place for the headquarters for the ACC. Charlotte is probably the next best location, but there's no doubt, strategically, Atlanta is the biggest bang.
Exactly. Or to put it another way, if the ACC wants to always be second fiddle to the SEC then choose a city in the South that will always be second fiddle to Atlanta.
The symbolism of choosing Atlanta or not choosing Atlanta would be permanently decisive.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It’s the Only play, nobody gives a crap about Charlotte, might as well stay in Greensboro
I doubt there's any difference in the minds of non-North Carolina members between Greensboro and Charlotte. Granted, it is easier to get to Charlotte than to Greensboro, so that is a slight advantage.

Atlanta makes sense primarily if access is the issue. There are only two programs south of Atlanta, so geography doesn't favor Atlanta. I bet northern Virginia is a more likely future home.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I doubt there's any difference in the minds of non-North Carolina members between Greensboro and Charlotte. Granted, it is easier to get to Charlotte than to Greensboro, so that is a slight advantage.

Atlanta makes sense primarily if access is the issue. There are only two programs south of Atlanta, so geography doesn't favor Atlanta. I bet northern Virginia is a more likely future home.
I would settle for DC if it’s not Atlanta or New York. But Atlanta makes the most sense due to culture and media. New York is the media capital of the world and I seem to recall that Heisman loved it as a neutral site for that reason when playing outside the conference. DC is distant 3rd choice by comparison but still better than NC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Expensive real estate.