ACC Network Updates

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the ACC has anything to do with the carrier contracts, that is all on ESPN/Disney. ESPN several years ago entered into a contract with the ACC to carry the conferences games exclusively, part of that contract was ESPN creating a network dedicated to carrying only ACC content. Past that the individual schools set up production facilities on campus for ESPN and cash the checks ESPN writes them every year. No one with the ACC is making these phone calls to cable companies that is all handled by ESPN lawyers.

Maybe a true leader would. In some fashion. You know - a Leader.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe a true leader would. In some fashion. You know - a Leader.
It is apparent you just have issue with Swafford and nothing will change that for you.

I will restate though, it is not the place of the commissioner of the conference to be involved in the negotiations of ESPN and individual cable carriers. The ACC did not create the ACC Network it isn't the ACC's to sell. The ACC already sold everything it has to sell, the television rights for all of our sports content. The ACC has absolutely no cards to play with the cable carriers and no leverage over them. ESPN on the other hand has the leverage of Disney/ESPN/ABC/A&E/History Channel/Lifetime.

How would those calls even go? "Hey this is John Swafford of the ACC. Sure would love it if you would carry the ACC network. I can't offer you anything but it sure would be swell."

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
So, in sunmary, for our away games that we may not be able to attend, our best hope is GT will not be the featured game on the ACCN?

It will be interesting. I've seen an ACC game listed as ESPN+ suggesting that we may have to pay even more to see some games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For the new cord cutters, one item of caution in advance... Even when I had 50 mbps wifi in my house, I had a lot of buffering/skipping. This is really frustrating if you haven't experienced it before. My issue largely had to do with where I had my wifi router rather than the speed.

It wasn't until I moved the router, and ultimately connected direct via ethernet to Roku, that I moved past the issues. There are other ways around it besides moving the router e.g., amplifier, extenders, repeaters, etc. I now have faster internet speed anyway, but wanted to put it out there to those who haven't tested for more than a few minutes during live programming.

That works best for remote devices. For my big 4K TV, I hardwired under the house from the router to the TV. A lot more bandwidth and got rid of buffering problems.

I'm still holding out for Sling. 169 days, 23 hours and 12 minutes to first pitch.

Anyone know who the radio announcers are going to be?

GT_EE78

Banned
1.5 hours on the phone with DTV and i still don't have ACCN
they gonna jack up my price by 25/month
(am trying to get it tomorrow but may cancle after the game)
but on a more positive note> I now know how to bypass the automated system to get a live rep
just say "cancel my account"

slugboy

Staff member
Thanks. I was a TW customer and called the phone number to activate. They changed me over to spectrum

Had to change to a spectrum plan. Then had to go get a new cable modem. Another call to spectrum got it working. Then found some channels not included ie the Golf Channel. Had to add that package. Now the ACCN has cost me another 10/month. I can't let my wife see the cable bill!

Yeah, it’s like 3 card monte—“here are all the strings attached to the thing you actually want. Have TruTV 3 more times on your plan”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
It is apparent you just have issue with Swafford and nothing will change that for you.

I will restate though, it is not the place of the commissioner of the conference to be involved in the negotiations of ESPN and individual cable carriers. The ACC did not create the ACC Network it isn't the ACC's to sell. The ACC already sold everything it has to sell, the television rights for all of our sports content. The ACC has absolutely no cards to play with the cable carriers and no leverage over them. ESPN on the other hand has the leverage of Disney/ESPN/ABC/A&E/History Channel/Lifetime.

How would those calls even go? "Hey this is John Swafford of the ACC. Sure would love it if you would carry the ACC network. I can't offer you anything but it sure would be swell."

It is apparent you adore Swafford and nothing will change that for you.

If you can not grasp the concept of a leader thinking outside the box, or innovation, or having a professional running the organization known as the ACC then so be it.

A guy was telling me about the ACC has the reigning NC in MBB & Football. What did swafford do to make that happen? If he did something, then he also is responsible for the dregs of the conference.