ACC Network Updates

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
How is a carrier not picking up a station negotiated by espn the acc or accn fault?

The secn had the exact same issues early on with who carries it.

Its a simple equation. Does the carrier want to pay the additional cost espn levies on it or not for the channel. Its that simple. Some say yes. Soma say no. Some say yes and charge the consumer more.

This is the second post blaming swofford and accn i have seen and i am scratching my head. Maybe i missed something.

I would have thought Swofford or someone would have did the research with the carriers beforehand to gauge their interest ... especially in non-ACC parts of the country.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I would have thought Swofford or someone would have did the research with the carriers beforehand to gauge their interest ... especially in non-ACC parts of the country.
I don't think the ACC has anything to do with the carrier contracts, that is all on ESPN/Disney. ESPN several years ago entered into a contract with the ACC to carry the conferences games exclusively, part of that contract was ESPN creating a network dedicated to carrying only ACC content. Past that the individual schools set up production facilities on campus for ESPN and cash the checks ESPN writes them every year. No one with the ACC is making these phone calls to cable companies that is all handled by ESPN lawyers.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

There are 409 carriers in the usa, and the ACC let alone our commissioner has the time or staff to call them like this is selling girlscout cookies when they don't make a dollar more if a carrier signs up or not. This is up for ESPN to rollout. And they will. This is week one. The SECN took months to roll out and provided espn with a similar demographic and launch roadmap.

If half the country carriers have no interest, then what? You don't bother with the network? Once the network is created, its created. Carriers will carry it on their timing and as they see fit. Its not different than any national channel rolling out. Eventually, all the big carriers will carry it as part of the ESPN lineup and overtime espn will force them to carry it.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I just did the 5 day free trial with PlayStation Vue. Working fine. Next week may try Hulu, then YouTube free trials
I cut cord in the past, used PlayStation Vue when it first started seeing if the fixed past issues.
Biggest issue I had in the past was DVR/Guide, I'm big Atl Hawks fan, would go to guide to setup game to DVR, Fox Sports South would show something else was on when it should have shown the Hawks game. If you turned to channel to watch live the hawks game would be on, but if you tried to set it to record in advance you could not do it. Issue was only on fox sports south and southeast.
Other issue is when I record games I like to run recording an hour over end time for overtime, weather delay, etc. Don't have that option.

I really like PS Vue, can watch on 5 devices at the same time, fire stick/hdmi on old tv, PlayStation, android TV, laptop, etc...

I not blaming provider as much as ACC deciding to go with ESPN for ACC network and how Disney/ESPN (and others) are driving cable/sat/streaming prices up, don't want to change provider as I just moved and picked provider and all is well except ACC Network.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
There are 409 carriers in the usa, and the ACC let alone our commissioner has the time or staff to call them like this is selling girlscout cookies when they don't make a dollar more if a carrier signs up or not. This is up for ESPN to rollout. And they will. This is week one. The SECN took months to roll out and provided espn with a similar demographic and launch roadmap.

If half the country carriers have no interest, then what? You don't bother with the network? Once the network is created, its created. Carriers will carry it on their timing and as they see fit. Its not different than any national channel rolling out. Eventually, all the big carriers will carry it as part of the ESPN lineup and overtime espn will force them to carry it.

IMO, not having the time has always been and always will be be a poor excuse ... like I said, we'll see how this pans out, but for now very disappointing.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

Not making a prediction, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dish totally stops providing ESPN after their contract expires. They have been the most active provider fighting to keep costs down for a long time. They would lose some portion of their subscribers, but would probably pick up a lot of subscribers from other providers if they were significantly less expensive without sports.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For those concerned about buffering, YouTube TV is the way to go. I watched YouTube TV live on my Roku TV for a good bit yesterday with less than 1 meg of download speed.

You read that correctly.

I tried Hulu and PSVue several months ago, and they couldn't on-demand stream, let alone live stream, without frequent buffering.

Sling did alright as well, but they still don't have ACCN until Dish gets its contract, iiuc.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
IMO, not having the time has always been and always will be be a poor excuse ... like I said, we'll see how this pans out, but for now very disappointing.

Its not about time i was simply pointing out the acc is not equipped for that. Hence need for espn. Its about responsibility and it wasn’t swoffords or the acc. I guess you still don’t understand. Ok. Moving on.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not making a prediction, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dish totally stops providing ESPN after their contract expires. They have been the most active provider fighting to keep costs down for a long time. They would lose some portion of their subscribers, but would probably pick up a lot of subscribers from other providers if they were significantly less expensive without sports.

Possibly. They lost me when they did this with fox years ago

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Yes 3 years just ain't enough time. ACC = PAC 10
It most of that time to keep the NCAA off unc

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes 3 years just ain't enough time. ACC = PAC 10

Carrier agreements dont take place until before broadcast is really near. Then espn can make guarantees. Three years was about how espn and acc would do this with raycom and logistics. Carriers do not sign up for carrying a station until near launch. Coulda been 10 years would not have mattered

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
For the new cord cutters, one item of caution in advance... Even when I had 50 mbps wifi in my house, I had a lot of buffering/skipping. This is really frustrating if you haven't experienced it before. My issue largely had to do with where I had my wifi router rather than the speed.

It wasn't until I moved the router, and ultimately connected direct via ethernet to Roku, that I moved past the issues. There are other ways around it besides moving the router e.g., amplifier, extenders, repeaters, etc. I now have faster internet speed anyway, but wanted to put it out there to those who haven't tested for more than a few minutes during live programming.
2GHz signal is going to work better over greater distances and through walls. If hardwire isn't an option make sure you use the 2GHz signal. 5GHz is only better when you are getting speeds greater than 300Mbps.

rfripp68

Georgia Tech Fan
This is ridiculous...

Just looked at the TV schedule for Gameday/ESPN and ACCN for tomorrow:
fMcADed.png

So...Gameday runs from 6-7 on ESPN right into a game (UCLA/Cincy)...meanwhile over on ACCN we have "ESPN Standby" for 2 hours?!? So if I tune in I'm going to see the damn ESPN logo and "Your program will begin momentarily" for 2 damn hours?!?!? Not any kind of lead in what so ever on the FIRST game ever on this new network??!

A) at the VERY least run a simulcast of Gameday
B) Gameday, even if it "ends" on ESPN at 7 should continue on ACCN to lead into the game
C) ACCN should have it's own pregame show anyway

What the hell else are they going to screw up with the launch of this network??

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
This is ridiculous...

fMcADed.png

So...Gameday runs from 6-7 on ESPN right into a game (UCLA/Cincy)...meanwhile over on ACCN we have "ESPN Standby" for 2 hours?!? So if I tune in I'm going to see the damn ESPN logo and "Your program will begin momentarily" for 2 damn hours?!?!? Not any kind of lead in what so ever on the FIRST game ever on this new network??!

B) Gameday, even if it "ends" on ESPN at 7 should continue on ACCN to lead into the game

Saw that also, but earlier when news broke that eSPN gameday would be at Clemson it stated:

ESPN's College GameDay announced on Thursday that the show will kick off Week 1 of the 2019 college football season with a trip to Death Valley as Clemson opens its season with a home game against ACC foe Georgia Tech at Memorial Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 29.

The two-hour broadcast will begin at 6 p.m. and end just before the scheduled 8 p.m. kick-off. The first hour will be broadcast on ESPN and the second on the ACC Network, which launches on Aug. 22.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I have something on my Samsung smart tv called TV plus. I happened to notice last night that it includes ACC Digital Network as a channel. I’m not sure if this is the channel that will carry the game or some other channel that is included by the ACC network. I only have a digital antenna, so I’m going to do a YouTube tv free trial just to be on the safe side. But I’m wondering if I already will get the game through my TV Plus channels.

I have something on my Samsung smart tv called TV plus. I happened to notice last night that it includes ACC Digital Network as a channel. I’m not sure if this is the channel that will carry the game or some other channel that is included by the ACC network. I only have a digital antenna, so I’m going to do a YouTube tv free trial just to be on the safe side. But I’m wondering if I already will get the game through my TV Plus channels.
That's interesting. Is your TV connected to you computer or your router? If so, you should try it now, because the ACC Network is already up and running, and has regular shows on. Don't wait till tomorrow to check it out.

rfripp68

Georgia Tech Fan
Saw that also, but earlier when news broke that eSPN gameday would be at Clemson it stated:

ESPN's College GameDay announced on Thursday that the show will kick off Week 1 of the 2019 college football season with a trip to Death Valley as Clemson opens its season with a home game against ACC foe Georgia Tech at Memorial Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 29.

The two-hour broadcast will begin at 6 p.m. and end just before the scheduled 8 p.m. kick-off. The first hour will be broadcast on ESPN and the second on the ACC Network, which launches on Aug. 22.

I was about to blow a gasket haha thank god they have some sense over there...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is ridiculous...

fMcADed.png

dude, thats not what is going on. The menus clearly haven't been input or updated. ACCN Will have 2 straight hours of gameday starting with the national one then switching over