ACC Network Updates

YouTube TV has a full dvr. You just hit record and it adds it to the saved programming. No devices all on YouTube TV's platform. You will need a Roku or a smart TV to run YT TV though
OK, I have what I guess you consider a "smart TV" in my bedroom. The one in my TV room, however, is not. How, if at all, can I direct the signal from my computer to my non-smart TV? You say YouTube TV has a full dvr? Do you mean a hardware DVR or a software one? I think you answered both the last question and this one, but where do I find it? Also, what is a Roku?

Bennett

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, I have what I guess you consider a "smart TV" in my bedroom. The one in my TV room, however, is not. How, if at all, can I direct the signal from my computer to my non-smart TV? You say YouTube TV has a full dvr? Do you mean a hardware DVR or a software one? I think you answered both the last question and this one, but where do I find it? Also, what is a Roku?

Software it all goes on the cloud. You would have up hook your computer up to your TV. A Roku is a hardware device that your connect through hdmi that loads apps so you can watch them. It essentially makes your non smart TV a smart TV

Beerbrewingjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Anybody heard anything on Spectrum?

I cut cable two years ago but I added it back because I got screwed a few times on programming. I like how with Spectrum I have everything and it’s reliable. I had PSVue before. I was having issues with local channels and NFL. It was ok for CFB as I recall.

I wasn’t saving any money for the headache either. You have to pay Charter/Comcast for internet and my Charter TV package is only $40 per month. Same price as other cord cutting services.

Software it all goes on the cloud. You would have up hook your computer up to your TV. A Roku is a hardware device that your connect through hdmi that loads apps so you can watch them. It essentially makes your non smart TV a smart TV
But what if the non-smart TV is in another room of the house from my computer? I mean I DO have another computer in the other room, but I have had very little success in accessing the web through the router in the bedroom.

Anybody heard anything on Spectrum?

I cut cable two years ago but I added it back because I got screwed a few times on programming. I like how with Spectrum I have everything and it’s reliable. I had PSVue before. I was having issues with local channels and NFL. It was ok for CFB as I recall.

I wasn’t saving any money for the headache either. You have to pay Charter/Comcast for internet and my Charter TV package is only $40 per month. Same price as other cord cutting services.
Yeah, that brings up a related question for me. I get my internet through the same company that provides my cable. I'm not sure right off hand what the cost of internet alone is.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For real cheapos (like me):
I use tethering from my T-Mobile phone with unlimited data as my sole internet provider. It throttles down the tethering speed after 10gigs.

Sling can still stream live after it throttles down, and Amazon Prime and Netflix can still stream as well. Resolution is obviously affected, but it's not terrible. Hulu and PS Vue can't deal well with the decreased bandwidth. I also had trouble mirroring my phone (which isn't throttled down) with Hulu and PSVue.

These issues would also be relevant to people who have lower bandwidth internet or multiple people using their internet at the same time.

Youtube plays recorded stuff fine, but I haven't tried their live TV yet. I'm waiting till the last week in August to give them a try, especially if Sling hasn't picked up the ACC Network by then.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that brings up a related question for me. I get my internet through the same company that provides my cable. I'm not sure right off hand what the cost of internet alone is.

If it is like what we have (Spectrum), they punish you severely for only having the internet.....about 69 per month where I am if only subscribing to internet, which makes the streaming options not really a cost savings for me vs. having both internet and cable..... I would love to get internet for around 40-50 per month, and then I would probably only stream.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
I live in NC and the lowest internet is $70 a month without TV. However, they wanted to charge $80 for a TV package that has a few more channels then the cord-cutting channels.

Simply put, I don't miss any GT football games. I did PlayStation Vue one year and it was good but then we moved and got a deal with Spectrum and that just ran out. For those thinking of cutting the cord, you can use your smartTV OR you can use another device. YouTube TV just announced that they are back with Amazon Fire TV and Fire stick which is great. Devices you can use are Roku, Amazon Fire stick or Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, and a few others. These devices will plug into your HDMI device on the side or back of your tv and you can then download the app on your device to watch.

Lastly, I truly believe Spectrum will strike a deal next week with ACCN... most, if not all cable companies will. What I am waiting for it for Hulu, YouTube, Sling and other cord cutting services to buy out their own internet services and shut down cable companies... or at least make them secondhand.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
For real cheapos (like me):
I use tethering from my T-Mobile phone with unlimited data as my sole internet provider. It throttles down the tethering speed after 10gigs.

Sling can still stream live after it throttles down, and Amazon Prime and Netflix can still stream as well. Resolution is obviously affected, but it's not terrible. Hulu and PS Vue can't deal well with the decreased bandwidth. I also had trouble mirroring my phone (which isn't throttled down) with Hulu and PSVue.

These issues would also be relevant to people who have lower bandwidth internet or multiple people using their internet at the same time.

Youtube plays recorded stuff fine, but I haven't tried their live TV yet. I'm waiting till the last week in August to give them a try, especially if Sling hasn't picked up the ACC Network by then.

I would suspect your throttled down tmobile hotspot is not going to cut it for youtube tv, and it will buffer like crazy, but if it works, let us know. Xfinity is charging me way too much for internet, basically negating any savings.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Disney and Charter didn’t sign a multiyear extension before the deadline but the sides continue to talk to reach a deal. That suggests that both sides hope to avoid a blackout of ESPN and other Disney channels. Disney is looking to launch the ACC Network on Charter and is asking to raise ESPN’s carriage fee while also hoping to add to the amount of live games it can place on ESPN+, its sports streaming service, sources say.

Disney and Charter are still discussing a new multiyear carriage agreement, blowing past Friday’s 12:01 a.m. deadline, as the two sides try to reach a deal, according to people familiar with the matter. The sides are making progress on a deal and want to avoid a blackout of popular networks including ESPN, ABC and The Disney Channel, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private

The main sticking points between Charter and Disney have been issues related to ESPN, the most expensive network in the pay-TV bundle, said the people. One issue has been ESPN’s proposed pricing for the ACC Network, a new cable channel that will broadcast collegiate sports for teams in the conference, about 40 percent of Charter’s footprint overlaps with ACC schools. Another hurdle is how much flexibility Charter is willing to give ESPN+, Disney’s $4.99 per month streaming product. The two sides are discussing potentially including ESPN+ as a new network that Charter consumers can access on their set-top box, the people said.

Disney plans to bundle ESPN+ with Hulu and Disney+ when it launches in November and would like to strengthen the sports streaming service while not eroding the value of ESPN, which commands about $10 for every pay-TV subscriber. Typically, Disney will ask cable operators to distribute ESPN to at least 80 percent of their subscriber footprints, according to people familiar with the matter.

Link
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/02/disney-charter-still-talking-on-new-carriage-agreement.html

GTFLETCH

Banned
FSU AD David Coburn urges fans to switch providers as ACC Network launch nears
"If you are a customer of either Comcast Cable, DISH Network, Century Link or Frontier Communications, you will NOT have the ACC Network or ACC Network Extra and you will not be able to see the games at this time," Coburn said in his statement. "With the launch of the ACC Network just over two weeks away, we are now recommending that FSU fans who have Comcast, DISH Network, or Frontier Communications switch providers to ensure they do not miss any of the action."

Link
https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/2019/08/09/fsu-coburn-urges-fans-switch-providers-acc-network-launch-nears-comcast-dish-century-link-frontier/1970770001/

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Youtube TV and Nvidia Shield have been the winning combo for me esp since Shield has a Chromecast 4K built-in so casting and watching TV is seamless (you don't have to mess with switching inputs). YT TV has great interface and unlimited recording which you can access from anywhere. Plus up to 6 diff household accounts (tho 3 simultaneous streaming, which can limit it sometimes). I signed up when they were $40 and that was a great deal. Now it's $50... hope they don't keep jacking up the price.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just had an online chat with SlingTV rep. They said there are no plans for adding the ACC Network (though they carry the SEC Network and did carry the ACC Network Extra).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Just had an online chat with SlingTV rep. They said there are no plans for adding the ACC Network (though they carry the SEC Network and did carry the ACC Network Extra).
Sorry to hear. I was condidering that one if spectrum doesn't come through. Spectrum is big in the RDU area so gotta believe they will add it here.

Jacketsfan99

Georgia Tech Fan
Does anyone know for sure if the Tech vs Clemson game on August 29 will be broadcast on 93.7 FM ?
The latest I've read, The ACC Network is happy with their current providers

Techsportsfan

Georgia Tech Fan
Does anyone know for sure if the Tech vs Clemson game on August 29 will be broadcast on 93.7 FM ?
Try youtube tv for their 1 week free trial. You can cancel anytime. Least you will be able to watch the first game.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Team radio contacts are handled at the team level, the ACCN should have nothing to do with our radio broadcast.

The game will be on 93.7 unless the Braves play a make-up/weather delayed game that night. If that's the case, then we'll be on 106.3/103.7 fm (the fan2) depending on your geography.