ACC Network Updates

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
As long as it isn't raining. I had DirecTV and hated it. Seemed like it was always out because of rain. It even goes out twice each year due to "the position of the sun" or some garbage excuse.
They haven't hooked us up yet. That doesn't sound good. Anyone got anymore suggestions? I don't want to sit 2 miles above the field to watch us play at Clemson.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
They haven't hooked us up yet. That doesn't sound good. Anyone got anymore suggestions? I don't want to sit 2 miles above the field to watch us play at Clemson.
Based on my experience... DirectTV puts you under contract, and if you don't like it you'll pay a cancellation fee. If you do one of those intro offers, you're generally on the hook for 2 years.

There's a belief, not sure how reliable, that a lot of these ACCN decisions will be made at the 11th hour. A lot of posturing right now between Disney and ACCN in negotiations. If you're willing to be patient, it might be worth the wait.

The options that provide the most flexibility to "install" and cancel whenever are generally the streaming options. But you still need a good, reliable internet connection to avoid interruptions there too. I'm personally on the streaming bandwagon and am biding my time to figure out who to go with this fall. Direct connection from modem to TV avoids all the lag/skipping issues that I initially experienced with wifi.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
You'd be better off just signing up for Hulu Live TV for the football season compared to Direct TV. Like someone else mentioned, if there is a good size thunder storm, you will lose connection because it has to have clear view of the satellites. Hulu Live TV is only $45 a month with no cancellation fees. You could do the one week trial for the Clemson game and cancel before the actual monthly fee is due. Then you would only have to pay for two months starting with the Temple game on September 28th because the last away game is November 9th.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You'd be better off just signing up for Hulu Live TV for the football season compared to Direct TV. Like someone else mentioned, if there is a good size thunder storm, you will lose connection because it has to have clear view of the satellites. Hulu Live TV is only $45 a month with no cancellation fees. You could do the one week trial for the Clemson game and cancel before the actual monthly fee is due. Then you would only have to pay for two months starting with the Temple game on September 28th because the last away game is November 9th.
Very helpful content.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Can you pause, fast forward or record with Hulu Live?

I actually spoke to a live person in the Augusta office of WOW this morning. I had to make an internet service call, but the lady I spoke to was very helpful regarding their cable TV practices as well. She SAID that she would file my request with management. I hope she does that. Maybe it will lead to a decision before it's too late. I don't think Comcast in Augusta is currently planning on carrying the ACC network (although that could change). I told her WOW might get more customers if they decided to carry it....LOL

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
If Comcast doesn’t pick it up will I be able to watch online? Chrome cast it to my tv?
If you don't want to pay for online tv, there are basically 2 weeks of free service you can get that I'm aware of. Both Hulu TV and PS Vue have 7- and 5-days free trials. I'm hoping Youtube TV will pick up the ACCN, but I'm holding onto these as a backup plan.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
You can definitely record shows. I don't have Hulu TV or any streamable tv service currently but I've been doing a lot of research on it because I'm probably going to make the switch within the next year.
The Hulu website says the basic Hulu + Live TV has 50 hours of DVR service included (also accessible during the trial period).

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You can definitely record shows. I don't have Hulu TV or any streamable tv service currently but I've been doing a lot of research on it because I'm probably going to make the switch within the next year.
Comcast told me you can't record their streamed service, but if ACCN gets their own channel like SECN, then obviously you can record.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Is Hulu + Live TV good for live sports?
The lack of live sports has been one of the biggest drawbacks to cutting the cord, but Hulu attempts to bridge the gap with their Hulu + Live TV service. As far as cutting the cord without sacrificing live sports, Hulu + Live TV is one of your better options, but it doesn’t quite live up to what you get with traditional TV service. (Only 720 for live sporting events no 1080 at this time) Hulu + Live TV has the major sports networks you’d get from a cable or satellite TV service, even some that are typically reserved for higher-tiered packages. Sports networks that come with Hulu + Live TV include:
  • Big Ten Network
  • CBS Sports Network
  • ESPN
  • ESPN2
  • ESPNEWS
  • ESPNU
  • ESPN Bases Loaded
  • ESPN College Extra
  • ESPN Goal Line
  • Fox Sports 1
  • Fox Sports 2
  • Golf Channel
  • NBC Sports Network
  • Olympic Channel
  • SEC Network
  • ACC Network (August 2019)
Local channels and regional sports networks included
The national networks are great for keeping up with the sports world, but many sports fans just want to watch the local teams. Hulu + Live TV includes local channels and regional sports networks(RSN that Fox just sold to Sinclair) so you can watch your local NFL, NBA, MLB,NHL, NCAA teams. Your location determines which regional sports networks you get. Regional sports networks may not be available in all areas and are subject to blackouts. Go to hulu.com/live-sports and enter your ZIP code to see which regional sports networks are available in your area.

720p is the highest resolution for live TV
Sports, like anything on TV, are best enjoyed in full HD (1080p) or ultra-HD (2160p or “4K”). As of now, the best you’ll get with Hulu + Live TV is 720p. Technically, 720p is considered “HD,” but the quality isn’t the same as 1080p and is nowhere close to 4K. When watching on a small screen, such as a phone or laptop, you may not notice the resolution quality, but you’ll likely notice it on a larger TV screen. Plus, fast action scenes, which is basically what all sports broadcasts are, appear blurrier in 720p resolution.

Link
https://www.allconnect.com/blog/hulu-live-sports/

GTFLETCH

Banned
Video quality on Hulu
Hulu’s streaming library and live TV programming is available to stream in various high definition (HD) video qualities, like 720p, 1080p, 4K Ultra HD, and 60fps high definition (HD) video qualities. Quality will automatically adjust based on your available bandwidth, ensuring you always have the best picture quality possible for streaming. These available options may also vary on the content you’re watching and the device you’re using to stream.

Watching Hulu’s streaming library

You can stream selections from Hulu’s streaming library in the following resolutions and minimum bitrates:
  • Standard Definition (SD): 1.5 Mbps
  • High Definition (HD) 720p: 3 Mbps
  • High Definition (HD) 1080p: 6 Mbps
  • 4K Ultra HD: 16 Mbps
While Hulu’s library of 4K Ultra HD supported content continues to grow, at this time, it’s limited to a select list of programming, including most Hulu Originals. HD programming can be watched on most supported devices with the latest Hulu app. 4K Ultra HD programming is currently available on:

Watching live TV
If you’re a Live TV subscriber, you can stream almost all of your favorite live TV broadcasts and Cloud DVR recordings in up to 720p/60fps HD on these compatible devices:

Link
https://help.hulu.com/s/article/video-quality?language=en_US

martinezjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I actually spoke to a live person in the Augusta office of WOW this morning. I had to make an internet service call, but the lady I spoke to was very helpful regarding their cable TV practices as well. She SAID that she would file my request with management. I hope she does that. Maybe it will lead to a decision before it's too late. I don't think Comcast in Augusta is currently planning on carrying the ACC network (although that could change). I told her WOW might get more customers if they decided to carry it....LOL

WOW (I think it might have still been Knology at the time) picked up the sec network the day of the first game.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Just got a reply back from our provider, Pineland TV, that they will be carrying the ACCN!! This is in the Vidalia-Metter area which is deep in dawg country. I'm so happy I could cry. Maybe I'll take the rest of today off and frolic through the sprinklers chanting A-C-C!

41 Days and 9 hours until Toe Meets Leather in the biggest upset ever!

WOW (I think it might have still been Knology at the time) picked up the sec network the day of the first game.
I'm sure they did. I see where Swofford is asking fans to "demand" our providers carry the ACC network. I wish he or somebody would tell us whom to contact for the various providers so we can demand it. The person I spoke to at WOW yesterday was simply (not denigrating her) a service person. She said she would pass along what I said. I want to know whom to contact directly.