ACC Network Updates

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know if it will be available through the Watch ESPN apps the same way SECN is?

Same as SECN, it'll only be available online if it's part of your TV package. So if Comcast doesn't carry ACCN, it won't be available online.

FWIW, I'd take anything a rep on the phone says with a grain of salt until it's announced by ACC/ESPN/provider. There's no way they would sit on announcing a deal as soon as it's final.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm guessing if you get the ESPN channel as part of your base Comcast Pkg, it does not mean you will get ACCN?

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I'm guessing if you get the ESPN channel as part of your base Comcast Pkg, it does not mean you will get ACCN?

ESPN is pretty much included in every basic package, so that's not a good barometer of whether you'll get it.

There are various scenarios:
1) Comcast decides not to carry ACCN (also means not available online)
2) Comcast decides to add it to a their base package
3) Comcast decides to add it to a higher tier package or sports package

The complexity is that Comcast (or Charter, etc) could do different things in different regions. The second option is obviously the best case scenario for customers and GT/ACC. The league gets a certain amount of money per subscriber, so the third option cuts into that potential revenue.

IIRC, SECN took about a few years before it became a part of standard packages across the region.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
My meager understanding from Comcast, is if you have the standard/basic package, then you have to upgrade to an X-1 box/dvr and then ACCN will be available to you starting in August. You can go to a Comcast store and trade in your old box and control for free or have a service tech come out and do it for you for $70. So, TechCubed's option no. 2 is looking good.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Not sure how much has changed but I did some work for Comcast a few years ago and still stay in touch with a bunch of the executive team there. I’ve asked them and they said, “still working through it”.

That being said I do know ESPN was (and I imagine still is) a HUGE part of the cost of their subscriptions. They were like 10-50x more costly to carry as a channel than a normal one for Comcast, which is why they split up the way they offer espn v all espn.

That said I would be surprised if they didn’t find a way (even with the Disney v universal) battle going on to carry it somehow as an option. They know the streaming services are coming for their customer base and won’t want to miss the chance to carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Cox says stream it on espn 3.
I said that's stupid due to all the fsu fans in nwf!
Cox doesn't have the NW Florida market -- they only have the Gainesville market. The people who should really be pushing for Cox to carry the ACC network are the people in Virginia... Cox has both the Roanoke and NE Virginia markets...

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just switched to Hulu TV. If you already have Hulu you save about $15 per month compared to having Hulu and Youtube TV. Plus Hulu TV already comes with ACC Network! I liked YoutubeTV right up until they just jacked up the rates. I'm sure Hulu will do it one day and I'll look for the best deal then.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
We're looking to switch to something with ACCN. So far, we've had Sling. $20 base + $5 sports, but they recently upped it to $25 base + $10 sports. They also don't intend to carry the network, so I guess it makes that an easy call.

Sorry if this is rehashing a whole thread, but are the only streaming options Hulu TV and Playstation Vue, with a maybe on YouTube TV?

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've requested 3 or 4 times for youtube. I can't see them not having it though because they pride themselves on sports coverage

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I think comcast got the ACCN but they haven't announced it yet. One of my channels says it's becoming the ACCN on Aug 22nd

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I hope you’re right Gold1. I called today and she said ya you have it. It’s streaming, it’s called ACC network extra. I said nope. That’s not it. She had no idea after that.
I just hope it’s not a regional thing with Comcast. I’m not holding out much hope here in Michigan....
My other option is my friends sports bar but that could lead to a divorce! Wait!!!!! Lol

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I hope you’re right Gold1. I called today and she said ya you have it. It’s streaming, it’s called ACC network extra. I said nope. That’s not it. She had no idea after that.
I just hope it’s not a regional thing with Comcast. I’m not holding out much hope here in Michigan....
My other option is my friends sports bar but that could lead to a divorce! Wait!!!!! Lol
And this is bad because ? Other than you won't have a home or money I see no down side to it. :)