ACC Discussion

DCjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I wonder if Coach K will take time off for injury/sickness again if his team continues to lose. If I recall, the last bad season, he quit in the middle of the year blaming injury or sickness.

I don't get why people think he is such a great guy. A good coach - I can give him that. I just don't think he is a very good person.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The reason for all that was he was busy looking at the students that yelled at his players. Coach Boeheim defended him for what he did.
For what it's worth, that was second hand info given to Boeheim by someone other than coach K.
http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/inde...not_skip_handshake_line_to_look_for_refs.html

I have a hard time believing it, given the fact that the Duke handshake line faced a section without Duke students. The Duke handshake line ended where the Syracuse bench was, therefore it's possible that it could have been Orange fans or truly Duke students who moved sections after the game, however if we're making assumptions about where his mind was, I am choosing to not believe that alibi.

He and Boeheim are really good friends after Team USA basketball. I think that has more to do with Boeheim's comments than anything.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
The last couple years we just have been really bad so when we lost it was expected. Worst part about this year is we actually have some good players and should be able to win some games but same old results.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Something strange happened in ACC games last night: All the teams I expected to win actually did. I am glad we were not playing Louisville last night.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yeah you could see the Louisville/FSU result coming a mile away. That young team in Tallahassee doesn't play D quite like LH teams of recent years

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's a shame for the Louisville players. On an interesting note this opens up another possible berth for the dance for the ACC. And realigns the ACC tourney matchups. Not sure if any of this would affect us, but curious to see how it turns out.
It opens up another at large spot (assuming UL was not going to be the ACC champion), but that does not mean it will be an ACC team.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
It opens up another at large spot (assuming UL was not going to be the ACC champion), but that does not mean it will be an ACC team.

There's nothing that says it would be an ACC team, but it may open up a slot for a bubble ACC team. Could make a difference..no guarantees.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
it will open up a bubble spot for one team.
Last year they released the data sheets the committee gets on each team. They are interesting to look at from both what is on them and what is not, as well as how it is arranged.

First off, what is not on the sheets.
Conference record, or even what conference you play in. That has no consideration.
There is no last 10 game record and dates in general are not emphasized.

The sheets themselves are organized from left to right basically by RPI. There are 4 rows - Top 50 RPI opponents, 51-100, 101-200, 200+.
In each row listed in RPI order is the team you played, the score, the opponents RPI.

Also listed at the top are your overall record, your conference record, your home, road and neutral records, and your SOS and RPI.

Fans are convinced that conferences play into who gets in, but they only play into it in the area of the quality of competition.

As an example. Here is Iowa's from last year.
https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/3474630/NCAA_Iowa_team_sheet.0.png

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
First off, what is not on the sheets.
Conference record, or even what conference you play in. That has no consideration.

That information is contained implicitly on the card easily obtained from overall record subtracted by the non con record, as well as basic knowledge of which teams play in which conference.