ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UVA did not play particularly well last night, but did what they had to do in the final five minutes. Brogdon and Perrantes were clutch.

Miami will be a tough match-up for us. They are very athletic and have really good guards. My question is, with a foot center who can play, why don't they have more inside game? They had a real mismatch inside against Gill and never really tried to take advantage.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In other news, the ACC went wild yesterday:
  • Clemson wins at home vs. #8 Miami
  • ND beats #9 Duke at Cameron Indoor
  • In another battle of the bottom, Syracuse pulls an upset at Wake by 28
Both Duke and ND played with 6 and 7 man rotations, respectively. Clemson also went just 7 deep en route to their 5th win in the ACC.

Clearly those head coaches don't know what they're doing :troll:.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Maybe I am missing the correlation.

We are 1-4 in the ACC and I am compelled to revise my earlier forecast. I now see us as clear underdogs at home against Louisville, and on the road at Syracuse. We should be a slight dog at NC State. I thought we could be 3-5 after these games, but I am now mildly hopeful we can be 2-6. That is still not the end of it, as the middle of the ACC seems to be much stronger than I thought. I looks bleak unless we change the endings of our games.

Given the way other teams are playing versus my predictions, I am now looking at us possibly having a 3-15 ACC record. Think about that for a while. Or hope my pessimistic look is as bad as the more optimistic version.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If we are not in our own heads, which is a big IF, we should still win at least 6 games. Our top end is as good as the top end of many in the middle of the pack. A lot of it is match-ups.

GT matches up really well against Syracuse, minus the HC position. I'll get more into it when that game comes.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I am missing the correlation.

We are 1-4 in the ACC and I am compelled to revise my earlier forecast. I now see us as clear underdogs at home against Louisville, and on the road at Syracuse. We should be a slight dog at NC State. I thought we could be 3-5 after these games, but I am now mildly hopeful we can be 2-6. That is still not the end of it, as the middle of the ACC seems to be much stronger than I thought. I looks bleak unless we change the endings of our games.

Given the way other teams are playing versus my predictions, I am now looking at us possibly having a 3-15 ACC record. Think about that for a while. Or hope my pessimistic look is as bad as the more optimistic version.

It's not pessimism. It never has been. It's knowing who we are, what we are working with and what our capabilities area. Some people are the MVP candidates, some guys get those MVP candidates their water.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
If we are not in our own heads, which is a big IF, we should still win at least 6 games. Our top end is as good as the top end of many in the middle of the pack. A lot of it is match-ups.

GT matches up really well against Syracuse, minus the HC position. I'll get more into it when that game comes.

Speaking of Syracuse, Congrats in your win against Duke. Been a long time since I've seen Duke lose three in a row.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I thought we matched up pretty well against VT and ND as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm often a Coach K-apologist (he does what works), but this is poor:
http://www.campusrush.com/campus-cl...ws-by-syracuse-handshake-line-1561001802.html

To me, it's "literally amazing" that K thought Matt Jones had any more right to a loose ball than Syracuse's Malachi Richardson. See video at 1:28:

Wow. I hate rat face, but I have no idea what you're talking about. The ball was in Jones's hands--and so not a loose ball--when Richardson made contact with his hands to take the ball. However, I think that rat face's "literally amazing" may have referred to the no-call on Jones's last shot.

Fwiw, I think that Jones tried to help the officials by flailing in both cases, but the fouls were there imo.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. I hate rat face, but I have no idea what you're talking about. The ball was in Jones's hands--and so not a loose ball--when Richardson made contact with his hands to take the ball. However, I think that rat face's "literally amazing" may have referred to the no-call on Jones's last shot.

Fwiw, I think that Jones tried to help the officials by flailing in both cases, but the fouls were there imo.
Fair enough, and I can see your points. Seemed to me the first one was Jones pretending he had control and his acting attempt actually prevented him from securing it. If he had simply grabbed the ball and held, rather than flail his arms, I think he would have increased his actual chances for a call. The last play was an attempt at an intentional foul, before the act of shooting, which would have been sideline out of bounds. Poorly executed by Syracuse, but I have literally never seen full court heaves turn into fouls unless the player's name is Chris Paul. If there is a call it usually goes sideline out of bounds. I don't know what was so amazing about it nor why K skipped the handshake line.

I can absolutely see Duke (or anyone) drawing a call in either scenario. Honestly feels like karma for the charge/block call that resulted in Boeheim's over-the-top tirade and ejection two years ago. Regardless, I'm just glad yesterday happened to Duke and on their home court no less. Syracuse being the benefactor just makes it sweeter.

techgrad

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought in the first case both players had a right to the ball, so a no call. The second case is no different than all the non-calls MGH gets at the end of the game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have a hard time deciding which of the two - Boeheim or K - to pull against when they play. Either way, there has never been a call against their team that was justified.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
Wow - incredibly poor sportsmanship. It's literally amazing that he didn't shake hands with the Syracuse players.

Did any reporter ask him about that post game?

/