ACC Discussion

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow

They don't flow like a vintage Duke team on the offensive end...sloppy execution...disjointed...very turnover prone vs Northwest Missouri State...and these were highlights.hmmmmm!!!!

#youngleague #weinthis

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Yeah I watched the videos a couple days ago. Though I wasn't very impressed, I'm in the same boat as Pastner. They are scrimmages and don't show you much.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah I watched the videos a couple days ago. Though I wasn't very impressed, I'm in the same boat as Pastner. They are scrimmages and don't show you much.
Agreed...things aren't always black and white,basketball is complex with so many moving parts,intangibles etc to emphatically state "Duke sucks" but I'm seeing a gradual change occur which actually started long ago with the relevance of the mid major...things have become even more extreme with the top tier blue blood programs loaded up with OAD's...there brand of actual PLAY has suffered...the teams with JR and SR laden teams with experienced,physically mature players who've mastered there "systems" will start to have big success in regards to winning in March.Programs like Gonzaga,Virginia,'Nova,Wisconsin and Xavier have become fixtures in the sweet 16 with brand philosophies like this.I see us on the same course but to even take it another step with the chance to hold down GA in recruiting and attract a non GA 5* annually keeping our talent pool elite and staying "old" in the same breath.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Agreed...things aren't always black and white,basketball is complex with so many moving parts,intangibles etc to emphatically state "Duke sucks" but I'm seeing a gradual change occur which actually started long ago with the relevance of the mid major...things have become even more extreme with the top tier blue blood programs loaded up with OAD's...there brand of actual PLAY has suffered...the teams with JR and SR laden teams with experienced,physically mature players who've mastered there "systems" will start to have big success in regards to winning in March.Programs like Gonzaga,Virginia,'Nova,Wisconsin and Xavier have become fixtures in the sweet 16 with brand philosophies like this.I see us on the same course but to even take it another step with the chance to hold down GA in recruiting and attract a non GA 5* annually keeping our talent pool elite and staying "old" in the same breath.

You may not have been reading this thread. For some here, everything is an issue of black and white.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I wouldn't.
Been called worse by better people is how I handle that typically. Construction has made me thicked skinned I guess.
It isn't your thick skin Pea, it is just being literate, i.e. capable of recognizing a pat phrase and it's use as analogy. In other words, you don't need to defend your common sense.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
"I say ... I say, how dayuh these well-fed n- playuhs make eye contact with me in public.

I say ... them boys 's lucky we even let them a-gathuh und'neatha the veranduh when it rains. I do declayuh." - B. McNair
My i.q. just plunged. Cue the Billy Madison clip.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Since some degenerates tried to derail things :whistle:, let's get back to basketball with this SI ACC preview (which I think is a repost but ah, who cares) ...

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/18/acc-preview-team-player-rankings-projections

11. GEORGIA TECH (8–10)

The Yellow Jackets were one of the biggest surprises in college hoops last year in Josh Pastner’s first season as coach, and sophomore Josh Okogie may be the most underrated player in the ACC. But Georgia Tech was held back by dismal shooting in 2016–17, and we project its offense to rank 184th in the country this year, making it difficult to see how it will take advantage of what should be an elite defense.

Fair, I guess.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Since some degenerates tried to derail things :whistle:, let's get back to basketball with this SI ACC preview (which I think is a repost but ah, who cares) ...

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/

[URL]https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/10/18/acc-preview-team-player-rankings-projections
Fair, I guess.

2017/10/18/acc-preview-team-player-rankings-projections[/URL]

Fair, I guess.

Syracuse at 9 seems foolish. They must be really high on both Brissett and Moyer

7-11 is going to be a dog fight.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not sure why they are that high on Clemson. The conference overall feels weaker than last year but I still think we have some really strong teams up top. Seems like we have a bunch of Sweet 16/Elite 8 type teams but not any Final 4 contending teams outside of Duke.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not sure why they are that high on Clemson. The conference overall feels weaker than last year but I still think we have some really strong teams up top. Seems like we have a bunch of Sweet 16/Elite 8 type teams but not any Final 4 contending teams outside of Duke.

I think Notre Dame and Miami are both FF contenders. Farrell and Gibbs are going to be a heck of a back court IMHO. Brown, Newton, Lykes and Walker might be the best 4 man back court combination in the country and if Huell has developed they are going to be scary good.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think Notre Dame and Miami are both FF contenders. Farrell and Gibbs are going to be a heck of a back court IMHO. Brown, Newton, Lykes and Walker might be the best 4 man back court combination in the country and if Huell has developed they are going to be scary good.
I guess I don’t know enough about Miami. I do agree Notre Dame may be up there but not sure if they can put together enough defense to not get picked off in the tourney. They just feel like an Elite 8 team to me. Maybe they will luck out and get an Elite 8 matchup against Arizona. That's an automatic Final 4 appearance there.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Personally, I would prefer that people don't just post links without any discussion of what the link says.

Here's the title for the link: The NCAA ignored a rule that could have punished UNC
In 2016, NCAA Rule 10.1(b) was repealed. This rule deemed as unethical conduct “Knowing involvement in arranging for fraudulent academic credit ... for an enrolled student athlete.” The NCAA had used it repeatedly to find student athletes guilty of academic fraud and rule them ineligible. In fact, this rule produced the first NCAA academic casualty at UNC in 2010 when football player Mike McAdoo was nailed for getting too much help on a paper from a tutor.

... Despite these rule changes coming after the UNC conduct had occurred, the NCAA applied this gaping new loophole to the UNC case and bemoaned the fact that it now had to find the university not guilty. ...

... Still, if the Committee was going to apply new rules to the UNC case, then it could have turned to a 2016 amendment dealing with academic misconduct. That new provision requires “all institutional staff members and student-athletes” to act with honesty and integrity in all academic matters. Would UNC have contended that the UNC employees involved in this sordid scandal acted with “honesty and integrity”? One can only hope not, but UNC never had to make that choice.