ACC Discussion

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Can’t let the inmates run the asylum is an old saying

People need to grow/toughen the **** up. I’m ashamed to be an American half the time lately

Fwiw, I'm ashamed you're an American more than half the time. ... Eeeeeyyyyooooo!!!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

People need to grow/toughen the **** up. I’m ashamed to be an American half the time lately

I'd be pissed if my superiors used that expression and I consider myself 'old-school'.

And, in a stunning turn, I agree with @AE 87 w.r.t. your status as an American.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Protesting the comment is just silly. It really has just become fashionable to protest now every time something bothers you so it loses any real meaning. With that said, Bob McNair is an idiot for using the expression in the current climate.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I, don’t see it.

Bunch of millionaire crybabies who have no idea what they are protesting for or against any more.

The shark has been jumped, killed, gutted and eaten.

"I say ... I say, how dayuh these well-fed n- playuhs make eye contact with me in public.

I say ... them boys 's lucky we even let them a-gathuh und'neatha the veranduh when it rains. I do declayuh." - B. McNair

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Protesting the comment is just silly. It really has just become fashionable to protest now every time something bothers you so it loses any real meaning. With that said, Bob McNair is an idiot for using the expression in the current climate.

He’s

Years

Old

He grew up in a time when teachers beat you, the government could just scoop you up and ship you off to die against your will, cocaine was legal, fist fighting was a form of debate and asbestos exposure was a job requirement. He is used to people having balls not being ****ing babies.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
"I say ... I say, how dayuh these well-fed n- playuhs make eye contact with me in public.

I say ... them boys 's lucky we even let them a-gathuh und'neatha the veranduh when it rains. I do declayuh." - B. McNair

Got that from an expression we have all either heard or said a billion times

Reaching

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

The race card is so weak.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Doesn’t mean he should be excused from the ability to think before he speaks unless he is going senile which he very well could be at his age. I don’t have a problem with what he said just because it’s a common expression but anyone should know how that was gonna go over if they stopped for even a half second to think about that one.

I would like to make it clear I called him an idiot, not a racist. Big difference in calling him a name for something stupid he did versus trying to define him as a person over a stupid statement.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Got that from an expression we have all either heard or said a billion times

Reaching

I say ... I say ... he's. 80. Years. Old. He grew up in a time when non-whites "knew their place". Suggesting it was merely a phrase he used .... I do declayuh.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I say ... I say ... he's. 80. Years. Old. He grew up in a time when non-whites "knew their place". Suggesting it was merely a phrase he used .... I do declayuh.

It seems that you have a pretty low opinion of African Americans if you believe that "asylum inmates" is racial.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

I’d like to know what those “non whites” think about what people are complaining about now. I’m sure Jackie Robinson’s struggle is comparable to athletes these days.

Also, my argument is not racial. I have a low opinion of all coddled liberal snowflake millenials that think the world owes them something and should GAF about their feelings.

And no, I’m not one of those ****ing idiot MAGA people either.

Maybe we should re-rail.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Doesn’t mean he should be excused from the ability to think before he speaks unless he is going senile which he very well could be at his age. I don’t have a problem with what he said just because it’s a common expression but anyone should know how that was gonna go over if they stopped for even a half second to think about that one.

I would like to make it clear I called him an idiot, not a racist. Big difference in calling him a name for something stupid he did versus trying to define him as a person over a stupid statement.

this is the issue. It shouldn't be this big a deal and the folks in the room (even ex players) shouldn't be that sensitive to something like this. HOWEVER, he was an idiot for saying anything even remotely like this in any setting beyond just the owners. Stupidity or lack of awareness.

slugboy

Staff member

Yeah, and he screwed it up. It can be a little offensive as-is, but when you replace "asylum" with "prison" and a lot of players are sick of being called "thugs", you're probably going to p*ss a lot of people off. Look, if he had a good relationship with the players and understood where they were coming from he (a) wouldn't have said that and (b) would have talked with them first and (c) understood why almost all his players either took a knee or supported the guys who did the Sunday after he said that.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Has anyone seen any footage of Marvin Bagley stumbling around the court in Puke's exhibition this weekend??? Though physically imposing and talented...I'm not sure he's going to be a dominant player next year.Might get a bunch of highlight reel dunks...blocks etc...but could be unreliable as hell...bad turnovers,forced offense and missed free throws.Puke will have to rely on three other freshman and a handful of lay overs...they'll be talented on paper but could be very susceptible to our style of offense(where u need experienced defenders,help defense etc vs. "vicious" backdoor cuts) and disciplined commitment to defense,50/50's etc like they did last season.Thinking UCLA is similarly built with a ton of freshman talent...on paper...I want to see there big plodding center and there plethora of rail thin 4-5* forwards deal with big Ben...won't be surprised if Ben dominates on both ends and keeps this one close if they can make a few three's,play CJP defense and take care of the basketball...the landscape in college basketball is changing...I see teams like us who've stockpiled 3-4 year players start to beat the blue bloods with good basketball and EXPERIENCE.