ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article178496691.html

It will be very interesting to see what penalties are levied against UNC. Talk on the UNC boards, and the article mentions it, is an appeal if UNC gets anything more than a minor wrist slap. Given how long this process has taken, I cannot envision a scenario where the NCAA Appeals Committee has not looked at the penalties and given the COI its agreement. That means UNC will likely take the NCAA to court sometime next year. I am sure UNC would ask for injunctive relief from any of the penalties pending the court hearing the case. It's anyone's guess as to how long that would take. So, while tomorrow is an important day in this soap opera, it's just another in the Days of Our Lives.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Someone at work that's a UNC guy thinks the NCAA is gonna hammer them & then UNC will Sue, which will take until the end of time.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/unc-now/article178496691.html

It will be very interesting to see what penalties are levied against UNC. Talk on the UNC boards, and the article mentions it, is an appeal if UNC gets anything more than a minor wrist slap. Given how long this process has taken, I cannot envision a scenario where the NCAA Appeals Committee has not looked at the penalties and given the COI its agreement. That means UNC will likely take the NCAA to court sometime next year. I am sure UNC would ask for injunctive relief from any of the penalties pending the court hearing the case. It's anyone's guess as to how long that would take. So, while tomorrow is an important day in this soap opera, it's just another in the Days of Our Lives.

Of course the irony is part of the reason the process has taken so long is that UNC has purposely postponed the process for their own reasons on at least one and maybe two occasions.

If they do sue and win I think it would be the end of the NCAA. At that point the NCAA wouldn't even be able to pretend that it can manage its member organizations.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Of course the irony is part of the reason the process has taken so long is that UNC has purposely postponed the process for their own reasons on at least one and maybe two occasions.

If they do sue and win I think it would be the end of the NCAA. At that point the NCAA wouldn't even be able to pretend that it can manage its member organizations.
I agree completely. UNC, and its fans and alums, (but definitely not the N&O) have pummeled the NCAA with "how long this will this take" while the administration has delayed and obstructed the case at every step. While I am sympathetic with my UNC friends here in eastern NC, I think UNC deserves whatever unpleasantness they get.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Well, the NCAA is largely just an agreement between Universities, if I understand correctly. Couldn't other universities agree to sanction U[sic]NC in some way regardless?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Last week the NCAA announced they were going to announce their findings & possible infractions. That was later postponed due to a "scheduling issue", which turned out to be UNCheat kicking off a $2B capital campaign.

Now they are set to announce the findings and infractions 4 hours before the Holes have their "Late Night with Roy" kickoff to the season? Are they going to drop the hammer and give the death penalty a couple hours before the boys in baby blue raise a banner and have an Alexander Julian love-in? I doubt it. This timing suggests they'll say everything was a mistake and Elon goes on 20 year probation

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Actually the N&O has blasted UNC about what they did with the no show classes and been one of the better investigative sites peeling the onion that UNC wanted to keep intact.

IMHO the key to the NCAA sanctions will be lack of institutional control which gives them wide latitude on what they can impose.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Last week the NCAA announced they were going to announce their findings & possible infractions. That was later postponed due to a "scheduling issue", which turned out to be UNCheat kicking off a $2B capital campaign.

Now they are set to announce the findings and infractions 4 hours before the Holes have their "Late Night with Roy" kickoff to the season? Are they going to drop the hammer and give the death penalty a couple hours before the boys in baby blue raise a banner and have an Alexander Julian love-in? I doubt it. This timing suggests they'll say everything was a mistake and Elon goes on 20 year probation

I actually read it was $4.25B

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
At dinner with an attorney friend who is also a UNC grad. His take is that UNC will sue the NCAA and lose before trial. According to him it is really tough to sue an organization you joined voluntarily and could simply withdraw from. Granted, withdrawal would end their athletic teams, but that is not the core mission of the university. He doubts it will ever see a courtroom.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
inside carolina article on the 10 am release for the infractions report and why it was delayed a week.

Also, lays out the 5 charges and includes a paragraph from the NCAA Infractions Committee report responding to the third notice of allegationsvthat lays out that they are not concerned with whether the classes were 'fake' - that is the role of the University and accrediting boards. Their concern is impermissible benefits. I suspect some of that paragraph was included to blunt UNC's main contention that this is an academic issue, not an athletic one so the NCAA has no jurisdiction.

https://scout.com/college/north-car...lease-UNC-Infractions-Report-Friday-108446624

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The lawyering on how the charges are constructed has been and will be significant to avoid the ability of UNC to claim the NCAA overstated their bounds and went into academic review of whether these classes are legit. That and due process violations are the potential basis for a UNC lawsuit so the NCAA will take that away. The lack of institutional control charge gives them a pretty big hammer already. The interesting question will be whether they link the impermissible benefits to specific players in men's BB and FB. Almost certainly will in women's BB given the emails of their academic tutors. Impermissible benefits should but may not lead to games forfeited and the resultant fallout.

I expect they will get a significant penalty for lack of control. The biggie is how far they take the impermissible benefits.