ACC Discussion

Techster

Helluva Engineer
DSC_0528.jpg

If Adam pulls those shorts up any higher...

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Deontae Hawkins recommitted to BC yesterday. That's a big pickup for them.
A starting 5 of Bowman, Robinson, Chatman, Hawkins and Popovic is a pretty solid starting 5 - at least at the offensive end of the court.
Not sure how that 5 will do defensively and depth is a huge concern - but they will score some points.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That guy is 20 years old, which means he's had to repeat a class...or ten. A decade ago Coach K doesn't even look his way regardless if he's the second most talented HS player in this generation outside of Lebron James.

Tells you what you need to know about Coach K and Duke now.

If he had wanted to go to GT I bet we find a way for him to get in within a NY second. Duke has made the commitment to a top BB team and K has a pathway that keeps them in school for one year in Sociology. 3 kids per year - nothing nefarious.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If he had wanted to go to GT I bet we find a way for him to get in within a NY second.

I doubt it. I think the Hill is lenient towards recruits, but I think it's to a certain extent. SAs still need to pass classes. Basketball is a 2 semester sport, and if Marvin can't make it past fall semester, he's not playing spring and NCAA tournament time. I think as talented as Marvin is, and as lenient as the Hill can be, someone like Marvin would be untouchable for our coaches. GT classes are hard, and there's only so many classes you can hide someone like Marvin in.

I don't think we even gave Marvin a cursory offer?

As for Coach K, a decade ago he made a big stink about not relenting on "The Duke Way" and taking only certain kids. He was pretty uppity that Duke recruited only "certain" kids. Heck, he use to make a big deal that championship banners wouldn't be hung unless all the kids on the team that won it graduated. As you can tell, that has changed drastically. Coach K has become a win first, and deal with the rest later type coach. If he was upfront about it it wouldn't be such a big deal, but his attitude a decade ago compared to now has made him hypocritical.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
No question K has changed his approach. Happened when he started running USA BB and got the connection/reputation as NBA Pro whisperer. So it made sense for him to move more to the Calipari model than keep the old school model. I heard a clip from I think first take that was your rant on steroids about K. Got a chuckle out of it. Almost as big a chuckle as I got when Duke started making this change and put out some wacky hip hop video "This is the way we Duke it".

K has gone the one and done route but to my knowledge he hasn't been caught in the penalties for kids shutting down their academics second semester. I recognize there are a lot of ways to get around this but still says they are at least nominally playing by the rules.

With all his reclassing and other stuff, I have no idea whether we tried to give him an offer. Likely didn't think we had a shot so didn't waste our time. But if he had expressed an interest in playing one year in Atlanta we would have figured out a way to make that happen. Of that I have little doubt unless he simply did nothing in HS. I also was around (and got to play against a little) when Sammy Drummer was in school. I fully understand the Hill has changed and things are tougher but that experience leaves me less "ivory tower" than I guess most around here. Certainly for a select BB player like this.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Cmon.
If Bagley came out a week ago and said "I'm interested in GT" our male fan base wouldn't be able to stand up for a couple hours.....he'd be on campus for a semester. Give him a tutor so he passes his gen-eds and then he's gone and Pastner is a superstar.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Cmon.
If Bagley came out a week ago and said "I'm interested in GT" our male fan base wouldn't be able to stand up for a couple hours.....he'd be on campus for a semester. Give him a tutor so he passes his gen-eds and then he's gone and Pastner is a superstar.

It's actually two Semesters. Scholly players come in during the summer, then the fall. One semester of hiding a kid is hard...two? Almost impossible at a school like GT.

Pastner has flat out said there are some very high level kids he can't even entertain the thought of because their transcripts and scores make them untouchable at GT. A 20 year old HS kid like Bagley?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Cmon.

First of all, I think most would just carry their laptop bags in a more strategic fashion for a while. :whistle:

Second, @Techster is right (for once, ohhh). We probably wouldn't be able to hide a kid for long enough.

I still can't get over these 20yo HS "kids". I remember one chick I graduated with who was 3 years older than me at the time of graduation. Honestly, I'm not sure if she graduated or they just told her to stop coming to school.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It's actually two Semesters. Scholly players come in during the summer, then the fall. One semester of hiding a kid is hard...two? Almost impossible at a school like GT.

Pastner has flat out said there are some very high level kids he can't even entertain the thought of because their transcripts and scores make them untouchable at GT. A 20 year old HS kid like Bagley?

Is summer semester required?