ACC Discussion

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Me thinks thou college coaches doth protest too much
Yes, changing the one and done rule will make the lives of about 15 college coaches easier and they will have more consistency/certainty in their roster year to year. Bully for them.

Here are the things I worry about:

1) If you go to a 3 year or even 2 year college rule you will siphon off most of the NBA level talent to the D League. The NCAA product gets worse. Fewer stars to draw casual fan eyeballs.
2) The D League gets better. With most of the NBA level talent being siphoned off, it will become a legit competitor to NCAA BB instead of a red headed step child. It will take multiple years but the college coach who arrogantly says let them go play in front of 150 folks will get his arse handed back to him after the NBA decides to really promote the DLeague as the real place for emerging stars. It will take years but it will hurt.
3) IMHO it will only exacerbate the moral outcries. The NBA will now flood AAU tournaments but they will not get all the talent that could go to the league and there will be kids who blossom after getting to college. So a kid who shows the potential for NBA level play after his freshman year is now stuck in college for 2 more years with no ability to go make money. That is when the slavery/indentured servitude arguments will come out with a vengeance. It will not be like baseball where they go to the minor leagues anyway - you are depriving mostly african american kids of making money. That ain't a good look and will be wide open for further moral pontification.

Much as we hate the current system - and I do too - I think it is the worst possible system except for all of the alternatives. There is a value college basketball gets from feeding into the NBA. Severing NBA level talent from the college game is not the panacea many think it is and certainly doesn't mean all the neighborhood kids will get off their lawn.

BTW that is a good article.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I at first supported the OAD rule when it was implemented but have grown to loathe it. I am so tired of Duke and UK and to an extent KU. Its just repetitive and foolish. The recent situation we went through with a puke signee makes my stomach. Chances are we wouldn't have landed him anyways but its really frustrating that they are able (able not allowed) to operate like that. Hopefulyl if players are required to stay it would mitigate some of those situations. This will make for better basketball and a more competitive tournament IMHO. I am referencing the MLB rule. I would actually support a year rule. I think that is fine. I would like to see these kids go to class. That's the point right?

*2 year rule

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Let the NBA start up their own Devlopemental League for high school players that aren't willing to go to college for the 3 years then. Let's have STUDENT-athletes actually be students and work toward a degree. Those that are just biding their time shouldn't suck up a spot for a person that could be given an opportunity to play/have school paid for by beign on a college team.

slugboy

Staff member
Let the NBA start up their own Devlopemental League for high school players that aren't willing to go to college for the 3 years then. Let's have STUDENT-athletes actually be students and work toward a degree. Those that are just biding their time shouldn't suck up a spot for a person that could be given an opportunity to play/have school paid for by beign on a college team.
The NBA already has a D-League.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The NBA already has a D-League.
... but not for players directly out of High School. Mostly college players that either ran out ouf eligibility or thought they would get drafted and make the roster only to find not, they weren't truly ready for the Big Time.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
... but not for players directly out of High School. Mostly college players that either ran out ouf eligibility or thought they would get drafted and make the roster only to find not, they weren't truly ready for the Big Time.

Pretty sure kids can go straight from HS. It's just not a good idea.

If you're good enough to play at the G-league (it's the "G" league as of today), you'd be better off playing overseas (for money) or in college (for exposure, growth as a player).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure kids can go straight from HS. It's just not a good idea.

If you're good enough to play at the G-league (it's the "G" league as of today), you'd be better off playing overseas (for money) or in college (for exposure, growth as a player).
Have to be at least 19. So, if you're 19 in HS or right after, you can go straight to NBA.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
14 ACC players selected in last night's NBA draft overall, good for 23.3% of the 60 picks.

ACC makes history in 2017 NBA Draft
With 10 former players picked in the the first round of the draft, the ACC sets a new record for first round selections. Prior to 2017, the most ACC players selected in the first round was eight in 1995.

CBS Sports: 2017 NBA Draft reminds us that freshmen and the ACC dominate college basketball
Two seniors going in the first round is also a record – a record-low. Per the NBA, no draft in the "common" era (since 1966) has been so slim on seniors. Conversely, the first 10 college players picked were freshmen.
In recent years, there has been one league that's stood out beyond others for its depth, talent, NCAA Tournament bids and March Madness success: the ACC. On Thursday night, the league cashed in big publicity, as a pick out of the ACC scrolled across the screen every few minutes. Eight of the first 20 players picked, and 12 of the top 32, came from the Atlantic Coast Conference. Fourteen of the 60 picks — and more than nearly 30 percent of the college players taken — came from the ACC.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
For Tech to jump to number 8 is in ACC rankings is great. I see them potentially rising above this by at least 1 or 2 spots. If we have a great year from Lammers, Ogbando, Cole, Gueye, Okogee, Heywood, Jackson, Alston, Moore and Alvaroado we may shock the whole league. We have a team that we could go five on and then sub five to relax our starting five. Go to Verbal Commits and look at the star rating of our players including the "stars" of our team. Jackson is the only 4 star on the team. The rest are 2.7 and lower. We are either spectacular at choosing under the radar players or we have a most spectacular coaching program. I like the videos of our new players. It looks like we have some really athletic players. What happens is Brown is the best PG in the league? We really do not know how good he is. Wright could be a major contributor. I was impressed with his positioning. Shafer was double/double with the world 19 and under. He might be our next big man!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think our biggest loss will be Josh Heath. Steady guy who ran our offense and took care of the ball. We're gonna have a sophomore who played limited minutes, and a TFr (Alvarado) as our PGs next season. Heath was a lot better than most gave him credit for.

Hopefully Jose comes in ready to go, and Moore plays like he did during the tournament.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Lonnie Walker (5* recruit headed to Miami) tears his meniscus. Typically about a 6 week injury at this point. But still may affect his explosiveness a tad. Something to keep an eye on

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Lonnie Walker (5* recruit headed to Miami) tears his meniscus. Typically about a 6 week injury at this point. But still may affect his explosiveness a tad. Something to keep an eye on

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
He's from 10 minutes away from me. Legendary HS career. Played at Reading HS (other notable alums include Donyell Marshall, Stu Jackson and Pete Carrill) and despite having 2,000 wins in history they had never won a state title. Walker carried them to the title this year. Became the all-time leading scorer in school history too. He's a phenomenal talent. Miami is coming up here to play Lasalle at our downtown arena that holds about 8K. Hopefully he is healthy by then. Might venture onto a Miami board to try to get tickets because it will be the hottest ticket this town ever saw.