ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@orientalnc the UNCheat fans who don't like the length of investigation have only their own school to blame. This would've been over years ago except they refuse to turn over evidence, appeal everything and deny anything happened. Now they have changed to admitting everything but saying the NCAA doesn't have purview and can't punish them. Bill Friday (former UNC Chancellor) has to rolling over in his grave as the current administration shreds any remaining bit of the "Carolina Way". They're now just UNLV East.
I agree with you, but I hear from the other side of the argument regularly. A column in today's N&O:
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article156649234.html

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not sure they admitted anything, but wanted to take a year of sanctions on their own terms as a precaution.

LOL

Dude. You get mad props for your trolling of this forum. Our resident dukie likes you though.

If I had posted, "I've spoken with Jay, and he was paid," your post wouldn't be so silly. However, I used hyperbole in misspelling to emphasize that his position should not be taken seriously. Admittedly, your post could be excused if you don't know how to spell, "paid."

This excuse would be believable if you're a graduate of unc or, apparently, if you live in Oriental.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
LOL

Dude. You get mad props for your trolling of this forum. Our resident dukie likes you though.

If I had posted, "I've spoken with Jay, and he was paid," your post wouldn't be so silly. However, I used hyperbole in misspelling to emphasize that his position should not be taken seriously. Admittedly, your post could be excused if you don't know how to spell, "paid."

This excuse would be believable if you're a graduate of unc or, apparently, if you live in Oriental.
That is an interesting perspective. But I am not sure what point you are making.

As a matter of fact, I do live in Oriental.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
It is particularly galling that (u)NC's current stated defense is basically: "We were so bad at covering up the sham classes for athletes that the student body as a whole found out about them and started taking them, too—so it can't be an illegal benefit for our student-attendee-registrant-athletes."

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It is particularly galling that (u)NC's current stated defense is basically: "We were so bad at covering up the sham classes for athletes that the student body as a whole found out about them and started taking them, too—so it can't be an illegal benefit for our student-attendee-registrant-athletes."
A local UNC fan told me he thinks the academic scandal is appalling and an embarrassment for the university and the alumni. But, he believes the NCAA is overstepping its rules to claim jurisdiction. I do not hear anyone in NC saying nothing bad happened.

Just so that everyone on The Swarm understands, I think UNC should get 1-2 years with no postseason in three sports (football, men's and women's basketball). Further, I think the Roy Williams and Sylvia Hatchell should have show cause restrictions placed on them. It is a shame that the NCAA is not charging UNC with using ineligible players in any of these sports in spite of the fact that numerous cases exist where the GPA of barely eligible players benefitted greatly from those fake classes.

@AE 87 Troll??? ;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It is a shame that the NCAA is not charging UNC with using ineligible players in any of these sports in spite of the fact that numerous cases exist where the GPA of barely eligible players benefitted greatly from those fake classes.
I agree UNC needs to be hit hard (both academically and athletically) for the infractions. As far as forfeiting games/championships, I think that it's stupid to try to wash away games retrospectively. You don't really punish the offenders and there is collateral damage. Does it make sense to punish Larry Fedora for the crimes Butch Jones allowed to fester?

I think the coaches (especially the head coach) should be held accountable for the actions of the student-athletes and staff under their control. In this instance, I think the AD (multiple sports programs involved) and the Provost (or whatever the title is at UNC) should be held personally accountable. It's the AD's job to make sure the compliance people are in place to ensure this doesn't happen. Bottom line is this went on way too long for someone in charge to not know it was going on.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Its also deplorable that the University is clearly hiding behind the smoke screen that "regular" students were admitted to these classes that were clearly designed to benefit student athletes.

I'd like to see more programs tell the NCAA to get bent in the future just to see what happens

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I at first supported the OAD rule when it was implemented but have grown to loathe it. I am so tired of Duke and UK and to an extent KU. Its just repetitive and foolish. The recent situation we went through with a puke signee makes my stomach. Chances are we wouldn't have landed him anyways but its really frustrating that they are able (able not allowed) to operate like that. Hopefulyl if players are required to stay it would mitigate some of those situations. This will make for better basketball and a more competitive tournament IMHO. I am referencing the MLB rule. I would actually support a year rule. I think that is fine. I would like to see these kids go to class. That's the point right?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Hate the whole OAD thing. Go with the baseball model. You want to go to the league out of HS? Go right ahead. If not, you have to wait three years. Kids like Fultz, Ball, Tatum, et al would just go straight from HS. Fine. Some knuckleheads would try and end up in D-League or overseas. Good riddance. College hoops would benefit and it would be more fun to watch teams as you would actually get to know some of the players and watch them grow & develop.