ACC Discussion

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
BG has been a consultant for a while.

Louisville needs to step up here and help us out a little. Only up 1 at the half.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly at this point if we win against Syracuse and wake beats VT, we'll be a 10 seed and get to play BC for the first game so that would get us to 19 wins and could get us in. We would then probably play a beatable VT and could get to 20. If we beat Syracuse and Wake loses to VT we will be a 9 seed and have to play a tough Miami or UVA. The only reason we want wake to lose is because they're on the bubble too but in the long run we might get more wins if they win.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT will either be the 9 seed (with a win) or the 11 seed (with a loss).
Beat Syracuse and GT wins the tiebreakers - either 2-0 against Syracuse if Wake loses, or 2-1 against Wake and Syracuse if Wake wins and there is a three way tie (Wake would be 1-1 and Syracuse would be 1-2).

If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedures will be used:

a. The combined record of conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken, and seedings assigned, based on the winning percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).

Deleted member 2897

GT will either be the 9 seed (with a win) or the 11 seed (with a loss).
Beat Syracuse and GT wins the tiebreakers - either 2-0 against Syracuse if Wake loses, or 2-1 against Wake and Syracuse if Wake wins and there is a three way tie (Wake would be 1-1 and Syracuse would be 1-2).

If three or more teams are tied in the standings, the following procedures will be used:

a. The combined record of conference games between the tied teams involved will be compiled. Ties will be broken, and seedings assigned, based on the winning percentage of the combined conference records. The higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group is unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1; 1-0 is the same as 2-0; 2-0 is the same as 4-0; 2-1 is the same as 4-2; 1-0 is better than 1-1; 0-1 is the same as 0-2; 0-2 is the same as 0-4).

The top 8 teams in the ACC are all locks. I considered Syracuse and Tech both on the outside of the bubble - whoever won this weekend would be back in the bubble and likely in if they won the first round in the ACC Tournament. BC, Pittsburgh, NC State, and Clemson were all out. I had also ignored Wake Forest, but only because I thought they had no shot at beating Louisville. But that just happened. That's a really big deal, because unlike us, Wake has a very good RPI for a bubble team (#40). #16 strength of schedule and #14 non-conference strength of schedule. Should have beat Duke twice actually. They are 6-5 against teams ranked #26-#100. They should be back in the last 4 in discussions again I would suspect. If they beat Virginia Tech in their last game, they'll be 9-9, have an RPI around #35, and a record against #26-#100 of 7-5. They'll probably win their first round ACC Tournament game, and so they'd be guaranteed a record of no worse than 19-13.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a big win for Wake because the only thing their resume lacked was wins against really good teams. Well they got one last night.
They kept talking about in our game how they thought an 8-10 ACC team could get in - GT is not that team, Wake after last night is.

if they win either against VT or their first round ACC Game they are in imo.

ACC has basically 8 teams locked at this point with 3 others fighting for bids. Wake made a huge step forward last night - good for them. It still feels like the game Saturday between Syracuse and GT is basically an elimination game. it certainly is for GT, and is pretty close to one for Syracuse.

I think right now ACC won't get more than 10 bids and Syracuse and GT may be fighting for a right to try to earn that last bid. I don't think a win Saturday locks either team in, but a loss is going to be really costly.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Probably it will be next year. Don't they lose Jeter Young Artis and Jones? Yikes....

That is probably part of the reason Dixon decided to try out a horned frog costume
Stallings does have a reasonably impressive class coming in. couple of 4 stars, high end JUCO and a couple of 3 stars to round out things.

FWIW I still think he is a half step down from Dixon but the fact he has had a bad first year and has some dissention in the ranks doesn't mean the end of the world (aka Bobby Ross recollections) He should be a reasonably solid middle of the road or so ACC coach.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That is probably part of the reason Dixon decided to try out a horned frog costume
Stallings does have a reasonably impressive class coming in. couple of 4 stars, high end JUCO and a couple of 3 stars to round out things.

FWIW I still think he is a half step down from Dixon but the fact he has had a bad first year and has some dissention in the ranks doesn't mean the end of the world (aka Bobby Ross recollections) He should be a reasonably solid middle of the road or so ACC coach.
Solid middle of the road ACC coach = Jamie Dixon. That's probably not the upside Pitt fans were hoping for in Dixon's replacement.

Pitt fans are somewhat like NC State fans, except without any semblence of history. Maybe the healthiest thing for the fanbase is for Stallings to carry them all the way through the "acceptance" phase.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

I'm not a fan. He underachieved with good talent in the SEC. That is almost hard to do. Pitt made a lousy hire IMO.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
4 of Pitt's 5 starters are SR. Only returning starter for next year is Cam Johnson
Young, Artis, Jones and Jeter all SR.
They also have a bunch of JR
Luther (who missed most of the ACC season and was their 6th man until then)
Nix (the big center, who is a R-JR and former JUCO)
Milligan (R-JR)
Smith (R-JR)

Kithcart was one of 2 FR, Kithcart was 7th on the team in min at about 13 per game.

Have to wonder if any of those JR ( especially given how many are R-JR) might decide to end their careers or go elsewhere for a year if they have any eligibility left.
Could basically be looking at Johnson, Luther and whatever they get out of the incoming group.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

Dissension? Did I miss something? Player or staff?Pitt fans deserve this. A little awakening of the rude variety. Spoiled by Howland and Dixon.

I'm not a fan. He underachieved with good talent in the SEC. That is almost hard to do. Pitt made a lousy hire IMO.

This. It was a hire resembling an Eddie Fogler search. Their fans (a good charge of them anyways) recognized/realized that right away. Not to mention Jamie goes right out and signs Fischer and Bane and now has TCU firmly on the bubble.

D'oh!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This may be the biggest day in ACC basketball in a long time. Saturday games:

Pitt @ UVA : It is hard to imagine Pitt wanting or needing a win in this game compared to the urgency for Virginia. Final home game might be enough, but a loss could sink the Cavs to the #9 seed vs. a possible #4 with a win.

ND @ Louisville : This game is the headliner in spite of what Dickie V might say about the Duke game. The winner might be the #2 seed and the loser could sink to #7 (in UL's case).

Miami @ FSU : Another war. If FSU wins they could also be the #2 seed, while Miami could drop to #9. Big swings for both teams are on the line. Plus the possible final home game for a bunch of FSU players.

GT @ Syracuse : Actually the Orange has more at stake in this game than GT. They could be the #6 with a win and #11 with a loss. I am not sure our tournament seeding at #11 is worse than #9. We might not get a NCAA bid even if we win, and I think we're a lock for the NIT.

BC @ Clemson : Don't watch this game. It means nothing - except it could be Brownell's last home game.

Wake @ VT : The Hokies could be the #5 seed with a win and Wake is locked in at #10 or #11. But Wake may need to win to keep their NCAA hopes alive. This game is the sleeper tomorrow. Could be a great game.

Duke @ UNC : Another typical Duke/UNC game except UNC no longer has any ACC seeding issues at stake. More importantly for the Tarheels is a possible NCAA #1 seed. They cannot afford to lose this game and reach that goal.