ACC Discussion

Deleted member 2897

This may be the biggest day in ACC basketball in a long time. Saturday games:

Pitt @ UVA : It is hard to imagine Pitt wanting or needing a win in this game compared to the urgency for Virginia. Final home game might be enough, but a loss could sink the Cavs to the #9 seed vs. a possible #4 with a win.

ND @ Louisville : This game is the headliner in spite of what Dickie V might say about the Duke game. The winner might be the #2 seed and the loser could sink to #7 (in UL's case).

Miami @ FSU : Another war. If FSU wins they could also be the #2 seed, while Miami could drop to #9. Big swings for both teams are on the line. Plus the possible final home game for a bunch of FSU players.

GT @ Syracuse : Actually the Orange has more at stake in this game than GT. They could be the #6 with a win and #11 with a loss. I am not sure our tournament seeding at #11 is worse than #9. We might not get a NCAA bid even if we win, and I think we're a lock for the NIT.

BC @ Clemson : Don't watch this game. It means nothing - except it could be Brownell's last home game.

Wake @ VT : The Hokies could be the #5 seed with a win and Wake is locked in at #10 or #11. But Wake may need to win to keep their NCAA hopes alive. This game is the sleeper tomorrow. Could be a great game.

Duke @ UNC : Another typical Duke/UNC game except UNC no longer has any ACC seeding issues at stake. More importantly for the Tarheels is a possible NCAA #1 seed. They cannot afford to lose this game and reach that goal.

Great summary, and proof of why this year is different than most. Most years people say the ACC is the best basketball conference, and then 6 or 7 (last year was 7) teams get in. The difference this year is that the teams in the middle and just below middle of the conference beat the top teams.

If Duke beats UNC, no team in the entire conference will have fewer than 7 losses overall.
There are 7 ranked teams and an 8th getting votes.
There are already 8 teams with 20 or more wins and the regular season isn't over, nor the ACC Tournament, nor the post season.
There could be 5 teams with 25 or more wins heading into the NCAA Tournament.
Looking at Yahoo Sports ACC standings, it says Louisville is ranked #8 in the country. And they're #5 in the conference.
ACC record against the Big Ten, SEC and Pac-12 combined is 30-12.
Duke was the preseason #1 team in the country, and by a large margin. If they lose to UNC they could finish as low as 6th...just in the conference.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Depending upon the results next week, it's possible the ACC gets eleven teams in the NCAA Tournament. But it could also be as few as eight. The point I was making earlier is that the volatility this year is very high. Which makes tomorrow an ACC basketball fan's dream come true for a Saturday afternoon.

The Dance Card has Wake in. I assume they would fall out with a loss tomorrow If we beat Cuse, I am not sure they or us get in. I keep hearing Clemson as a bubble team, but that can't possibly be true at this point. That means the ACC could have UNC, FSU, Duke, UL, ND, UVA, VT, and Miami in the tournament, while Wake, GT, and Cuse are in the NIT.

To get eleven bids the ACC needs GT to beat Cuse and Wake to beat VT, then have GT, Cuse, and Wake all win a couple of ACCT games, plus have a bunch of borderline bubble teams in other conferences to tank next week.

Clemson will likely have a winning record and could also get an NIT bid. Unless they win the ACC Tournament, I think the Tigers are toast for the NCAAs.

In that scenario, the ACC would have 12 of the 15 teams in postseason play.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
upload_2017-3-5_13-1-21.png