CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
RIP @CuseJacket

BC and GT sitting at 1-0 in conference play :ROFLMAO:
6599589_orig.gif

William S. Baker

Jolly Good Fellow
I will never utter another negative word!! My team, GT, is right there on top.
VT beats Duke; GT beats NC; and BC beats Syracuse. This could be an interesting year.
GO COACHES and GO TECH!! You really looked GOOD.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Right now I think GT has a better chance of beating Syracuse than BC. BC does not play strong defense, but when Bowman scores they have 2 really good scorers in Robinson and Bowman.
I've seen Syracuse in parts of 3 games and have yet to see them look good at all.

By the time we play them they may be playing well, but if they continue to play as they have the last 3-4 weeks they could finish last in the ACC.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Right now I think GT has a better chance of beating Syracuse than BC. BC does not play strong defense, but when Bowman scores they have 2 really good scorers in Robinson and Bowman.
I've seen Syracuse in parts of 3 games and have yet to see them look good at all.

By the time we play them they may be playing well, but if they continue to play as they have the last 3-4 weeks they could finish last in the ACC.
Red - It's the way they've been playing all season. Expect it to continue. BC beating 'Cuse was sadly no fluke. The game was over with 15 min to go.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The K announcement brings back to mind something I have been thinking about for a couple of years - the ACC is about to enter a big transition period in its coaching - maybe its biggest shift since when Cremins, k, Valvano all came into the league pmetty close together.

Boeheim is 72
K will be 70 next month
Leonard Hamilton is 68
Jim Larranaga is 67
Roy Willims is 66.

i think at least 3 of them are gone in the next 3 yrs and i think all 5 are gone within the next 5. Not all 5 schools will make the right choices in hiring. Will be interesting to watch and see if the ACC slips in basketball some like SEC has in football.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The K announcement brings back to mind something I have been thinking about for a couple of years - the ACC is about to enter a big transition period in its coaching - maybe its biggest shift since when Cremins, k, Valvano all came into the league pmetty close together.

Boeheim is 72
K will be 70 next month
Leonard Hamilton is 68
Jim Larranaga is 67
Roy Willims is 66.

i think at least 3 of them are gone in the next 3 yrs and i think all 5 are gone within the next 5. Not all 5 schools will make the right choices in hiring. Will be interesting to watch and see if the ACC slips in basketball some like SEC has in football.
Add to that, Roy Williams' next 2-3 seasons could be played under NCAA penalties.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Add to that, Roy Williams' next 2-3 seasons could be played under NCAA penalties.

Bwahaha! You really think they'll be sanctioned significantly? I'm not asking if they should. That's obvious. I'm asking if you think they will? I'd say it's more likely it'll drag out another 2-3 years and Roy'll retire before facing anything major.

I hope you're right though.

As it is, once this crop of old guys starts falling, I hope the league is able to bring in good replacements. Don't want to see ACC basketball go the way I think SEC football is heading due to deficient coaching.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Wow. Leonard Hamilton is 68? Hard to believe. It’s also hard to believe he’s been at FSU for 15 years. Overall you would think he’s done a good job there but they’ve only been to the tourney 4 times (in a row) during his time there.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Wow. Leonard Hamilton is 68? Hard to believe. It’s also hard to believe he’s been at FSU for 15 years. Overall you would think he’s done a good job there but they’ve only been to the tourney 4 times (in a row) during his time there.

I thought Laranaga was waaayyyyyy older than 67.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The meme in NC is that UNC is going to get the hammer dropped on them. They deserve it.

However, I bet the situation at other factory schools differs little.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think it will happen, but I think they should drop the hammer on UNC, not because the classes were fake, but because the fake classes were used to maintain the eligibility of players who'd have otherwise lost their eligibility due to academic standing. UNC took a hard line stance that the NCAA has no business nosing in to the academic course they put forth. It always seemed to be a diversionary tactic to distract from the fact these kids may not have stayed eligible under NCAA rules, which is their purview.

I still think nothing happens though.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA has little incentive to hit UNC hard, i'll be impressed if they do it.
Most fans don't understand how the NCAA makes its money

81% of its revenue comes from its TV contract with CBS/Turner for the college basketball tournament (and another 2% from the NIT).
An additional 11% comes from ticket sales for its various championship games.

It gets $0 from FBS college football and around 90% from college basketball. Sort of gives you an insight as to why it may not have alot of incentive to hit UNC hard since it is a basketball blue blood.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the current ages of ACC coaches.

Pastner - GT - 39
Buzz Williams - VT - 44
Tony Bennett - UVA - 47
Brad Brownell - Clemson - 48
Danny Manning - Wake - 50
Jim Christian - BC - 51
Mark Gottfried - NCSU - 52
Kevin Stallings - Pitt - 56
Mike Brey - ND - 57
Rick Pitino - L'ville - 64
Roy Williams - UNC - 66
Jim Larranaga - Miami - 67
Leonard Hamilton - FSU - 68
Coach K - Duke - 69 (70 next month)
Jim Boeheim - Syracuse - 72

State of VA feels very well set for quite some time.

i also think Syracuse is going to be interesting to watch this year. Mike Hopkins has been the HC in waiting for a few years now. if Syracuse has a really poor season would the administration make any move to have Boeheim retire? Syracuse's results have been in a largely downward trajectory the last 5 years.
34 wins 2011-12
30 wins 2012-13
28 wins 2013-14
18 wins 2014-15
23 wins 2015-16

You would rather that the HC in waiting doesn't have to take over a program that requires much rebuilding.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Here are the current ages of ACC coaches.

Pastner - GT - 39
Buzz Williams - VT - 44
Tony Bennett - UVA - 47
Brad Brownell - Clemson - 48
Danny Manning - Wake - 50
Jim Christian - BC - 51
Mark Gottfried - NCSU - 52
Kevin Stallings - Pitt - 56
Mike Brey - ND - 57
Rick Pitino - L'ville - 64
Roy Williams - UNC - 66
Jim Larranaga - Miami - 67
Leonard Hamilton - FSU - 68
Coach K - Duke - 69 (70 next month)
Jim Boeheim - Syracuse - 72

State of VA feels very well set for quite some time.

i also think Syracuse is going to be interesting to watch this year. Mike Hopkins has been the HC in waiting for a few years now. if Syracuse has a really poor season would the administration make any move to have Boeheim retire? Syracuse's results have been in a largely downward trajectory the last 5 years.
34 wins 2011-12
30 wins 2012-13
28 wins 2013-14
18 wins 2014-15
23 wins 2015-16

You would rather that the HC in waiting doesn't have to take over a program that requires much rebuilding.

I would think that after a while the CIW will be sick of waiting. Some pretty good opportunities have come around the bend the last 2 years that Hopkins would have been a top consideration for.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree Pea. I think if Hopkins isn't handed the reigns soon I could see him pulling a James Franklin and deciding to go elsewhere.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Boeheim gave 3 years notice prior to last season. He has this year and next, then Hopkins moves in. It was announced along with the NCAA investigation outcome, so I don't think it was 100% his will despite what he says publicly.

What do you all think about 'Cuse going with Hopkins vs. an outsider? Who do you think they could reasonably pull? Interested in knowledgeable outsider opinions here. Not sure what you all know about Hopkins - he's regarded as the engine behind Syracuse's recruiting over the last decade in addition to being a fan fave a la Mark Price, to a lesser degree. His trial run last year didn't go well though I think the parameters were unfair.

Next year's recruiting class is big, and it's shaking out to be the worst in a while. Big miss putting all eggs in on Quade Green (who actually told them he was coming privately, then Kentucky). Some insiders have pointed to Boeheim not being interested in putting in the work anymore. A few fans think it's Boeheim's exodus.

@RamblinRed - 'Cuse has ebbed and flowed this century. They went to the NIT in 2007 and 2008. Boeheim is on record this preseason saying this was the most talented roster he's assembled in a while, which includes the 2 Final Four appearances in the last 5 years. This year is almost unexplainable. It's basically 2015 GT football without the excuse of injuries. Despite last March's miracle I agree the last two years tailed off, with this year being a mystery and poorly timed.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm not a big fan of the CIW concept.
Just because a coach is successful, does not mean that his handpicked successor is likely to be successful.

I think Duke is making a mistake by all but assuming K's successor has to come from his tree. It can work - WI seems to be doing pretty good with Card, but my feeling is that seldom is the best candidate one already on staff.

The job of an AD is to find the best possible candidate for a position. it may be someone in house, it may not - my gut is more often than not it is not.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
At least K is pushing all of his tree into other head jobs to see what they can do on their own so it will be a bit of a better choice. Dawkins has already failed

I expect Capel will go end of this year. If K stays another 3 years they should have some decent reads on the tree branches

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
UNC should get the death penalty... it's the most egregious academic fraud in the history of college athletics. Two decades of sham classes systematically put in place to keep athletes eligible without ever having to go to class.

That said, the NCAA won't give them anything close to that. I think the worst they'll get is vacating some wins and a national championship. Nothing meaningful

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
UNC should get the death penalty... it's the most egregious academic fraud in the history of college athletics. Two decades of sham classes systematically put in place to keep athletes eligible without ever having to go to class.

That said, the NCAA won't give them anything close to that. I think the worst they'll get is vacating some wins and a national championship. Nothing meaningful

Vacating wins and championships is the dumbest punishment I've ever heard of. Because the only thing that happens is instead of people saying you won the championship that year they say you won the championship that year and it was later vacated.