ACC Discussion

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Bryant Crawford had 21 for Wake and Maverick Rowan is averaging 15.5 for NCST as well (though they did lose to W&M).

A lot of very good freshman scoring in the ACC this year. We have a lot of experience hopefully that will neutralize some of that when the time comes.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
That was a nice move, but Plumlee has no business guarding him out there. What a gross mismatch.
Semantics, but Plumlee wasn't guarding him, Thornton (5 Star) was. Thornton got screened by Marcus Lee (Plumlee's man) and Plumlee was simply hedging Murray to allow Thornton to recover. There are a handful of guards in the country that make that move - less of a bad play by Plumlee than a great play by Murray.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Bryant Crawford had 21 for Wake and Maverick Rowan is averaging 15.5 for NCST as well (though they did lose to W&M).

A lot of very good freshman scoring in the ACC this year. We have a lot of experience hopefully that will neutralize some of that when the time comes.

And what will be our answer next year?

Looks to me like Miami is the old GT in basketball.....sad.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What's your point? @ramblinwreck1378 explains it better than I could.
If you watch the video, Plumblee steps out to block Murray's move to the wing (and makes what looks like an aborted stab at the ball). This is the wrong thing for Plumblee to do in this situation because he cannot keep up with Murray inside and the lane is the absolute wrong place to let him go (as evidenced by the result). Plumblee's assignment on the switch has to be to let Murray have the jumper, if Thornton cannot recover, but to NOT let him take the ball inside.

Calipari is a smart coach and he probably knew Plumblee would make this mistake, therefore the screen by Lee is the specific design here, otherwise you do not put your best rebounder 20 feet from the basket while a bad shooter takes a jump shot.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
If you watch the video, Plumblee steps out to block Murray's move to the wing (and makes what looks like an aborted stab at the ball). This is the wrong thing for Plumblee to do in this situation because he cannot keep up with Murray inside and the lane is the absolute wrong place to let him go (as evidenced by the result). Plumblee's assignment on the switch has to be to let Murray have the jumper, if Thornton cannot recover, but to NOT let him take the ball inside.

Calipari is a smart coach and he probably knew Plumblee would make this mistake, therefore the screen by Lee is the specific design here, otherwise you do not put your best rebounder 20 feet from the basket while a bad shooter takes a jump shot.
Don't want to derail the thread so this is the last thing I'll say, but this happens all the time. This isn't a switch - Plumlee's job isn't to guard Murray now. It's to stop him and redirect his path back to Thornton after he recovers from the screen. Once Thornton recovers, Plumlee retreats back to Lee in the paint. As a team, we (Georgia Tech) typically switch on screens. The downside of this is that it creates mismatches (big on guard and vice versa). The advantage of a hedge is that it doesn't create mismatches. You do open yourself up to occasionally having your hedge split, but overall this is a pretty effective way to deal with screens. See below.

Screen_Shot_2014-10-16_at_12.10.46_PM.0.png

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Part of what made the play work so well for Kentucky was that Murray had already beaten Thornton, so when Lee set the screen, Plumblee was caught with nowhere to direct Murray on the hedge. But the key here is knowing your opponent. Murray is not a good jump shooter. Let him take all the 20-foot shots he wants. DO NOT let him penetrate!

I will say this in support of your argument. Murray is a guy who could be playing PG for most teams. You do not see many 18-yo kids who are 6'5" make that kind of move.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Part of what made the play work so well for Kentucky was that Murray had already beaten Thornton, so when Lee set the screen, Plumblee was caught with nowhere to direct Murray on the hedge. But the key here is knowing your opponent. Murray is not a good jump shooter. Let him take all the 20-foot shots he wants. DO NOT let him penetrate!

I will say this in support of your argument. Murray is a guy who could be playing PG for most teams. You do not see many 18-yo kids who are 6'5" make that kind of move.

This is basically the only thing we're saying. Not sure what we're arguing about.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Happy but wish it came sooner. The scholarship penalty was rumored in the late summer/fall, hence why 'Cuse took Chukwu. Really could use Diagne or anyone over 6'8" at this point to fill the #11 slot. Oh well.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If you could let me know when Coleman is going to be playing 25 mpg before it happens is appreciate it. He's a really good buy on Fanduel

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So much for my hope that Charlotte could prove competitive with Cuse. Poised for a boat race in the Bahamas.