ACC Discussion

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
So puke signed Stanley & Ellis. Who gets the playing time? Brotherhood=good luck getting minutes. When will these guys learn?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Kyle Guy announced that he is staying in the draft. Gonna be interesting to see what UVA looks like in the Fall. Lots of PT available and mostly unknown / unproven guys fighting for time

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Anthony makes it official. Ol Roy will have to reshape the team after losing pretty much everyone from this year, but Anthony is a helluva piece to start with

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Anthony makes it official. Ol Roy will have to reshape the team after losing pretty much everyone from this year, but Anthony is a helluva piece to start with

I think you will see him revert back to that two traditional big lineup with Bacot replacing Maye and lining up beside Brooks. They are also replacing 250+ triples made from last season, could be an easy sell for Keeling.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, i'll wait until after May 29th to finalize this a little but here is what I think about the ACC for next year.

I like to divide the conference into 3 tiers. Top tier is generally going to be Top 25 and easy NCAA selections.
Middle tier is more bubble NCAA/NIT type teams.
Lower tier are the weaker squads with no post-season hopes.

I think Duke, UNC, L'ville and FSU are pretty safe picks for the top tier. That 5th spot is an interesting opening. UVA hasn't finished below 12th in KenPom's rankings over the last 6 years - can Bennett do that again with all the early departures?

I see BC, Wake, Clemson and possibly VT toward the bottom. Who is the fifth there - I sort of lean toward Pitt right now.

Then i feel like Gt, Miami, ND, NCST, Syracuse, UVA all sort of scrumming in the middle.
I don't think the top of the league is going to be quite as strong, but the middle is probably going to be a real bloodbath of competition.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, i'll wait until after May 29th to finalize this a little but here is what I think about the ACC for next year.

I like to divide the conference into 3 tiers. Top tier is generally going to be Top 25 and easy NCAA selections.
Middle tier is more bubble NCAA/NIT type teams.
Lower tier are the weaker squads with no post-season hopes.

I think Duke, UNC, L'ville and FSU are pretty safe picks for the top tier. That 5th spot is an interesting opening. UVA hasn't finished below 12th in KenPom's rankings over the last 6 years - can Bennett do that again with all the early departures?

I see BC, Wake, Clemson and possibly VT toward the bottom. Who is the fifth there - I sort of lean toward Pitt right now.

Then i feel like Gt, Miami, ND, NCST, Syracuse, UVA all sort of scrumming in the middle.
I don't think the top of the league is going to be quite as strong, but the middle is probably going to be a real bloodbath of competition.

Not sure if this is what you meant but I think Pitt is going to be better than BC Wake, Clemson and VT.

I also think Notre Dame is going to be better than those other teams in the middle. The Harvey loss isnt really that big of a loss in my opinion, especially if they land Justin Pierce which some of their people are pretty confident about. He just cut his list to UNC, Michigan and Notre Dame recently. If Pflueger and Carmody come back healthy they will be good and deep everywhere.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Agree with pretty much everything Red & Peac say above.

UVA will be a complete unknown until play starts. They are losing most of their rotation except Clark & (maybe) Diakite. Huff played token minutes but will really need to improve defensively and on the boards if he is going to play meaningful minutes. Are the redshirt & bench guys up to the challenge?

ND should be very solid. Pretty much the whole roster back, plus Pfleuger.

For now, I assume UVA & ND will snag NCAAT berths. That means 6 spots if you include the top 4. Based on history, the ACC will get 6 - 8 spots. A lot depends on the depth in other P5 conferences and the next tier (A10, Big East, etc) and the inevitable conference tourney upsets. That means we are likely fighting Syracuse , Miami and NCSU for the last one or two spots.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Think it had more to do with Cole A and Anthony Harris committing
Certainly, you may be correct. But, with one year left toward a degree, a full scholarship, and no chance at the NBA, why leave to go to school somewhere else? Given the new NCAA waiver stance, the chances of him playing next year at Div I are low. Plus, transferring has a negative impact on earned credits. I think he was told that scholarship might be available if he stayed around until June when the school has to commit their aid package.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC lost 5 guys to graduation. They have 4 frosh coming. One grad transfer would simply equal the 5 that left. Plus I don’t think they are at the limit. So I don’t think he was threatened with his ship. With his minutes for sure but not his ship

Whatever you think of Roy they have a history of few transfers

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
UNC lost 5 guys to graduation. They have 4 frosh coming. One grad transfer would simply equal the 5 that left. Plus I don’t think they are at the limit. So I don’t think he was threatened with his ship. With his minutes for sure but not his ship

Whatever you think of Roy they have a history of few transfers

They had 2 ships available after the Harris commitment

And I wouldn’t even call it a runoff, that kid rcvd a ton of chances to make his mark and couldn’t get it done