ACC Discussion

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The question will be how good he wants to be.

We tracked him here for a long time, pretty unnecessarily, but if you haven't seen the continual progress, not sure you're paying attention.

I ****ing hate dook, but I'd be full of **** if I tried to claim this kid doesn't have a clear love for basketball, desire to improve, and relishes competing hard.

It's pretty obvious.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Serious question, have you watched much of Duke this year? I'm basing my opinion on watching him score in the half court this year. I've been surprised by his ability to slash, score in traffic, and of course get up for 2nd chance points and rebounds. I'm not saying that'll be just as easy in the NBA, but I don't see his performance this year as solely fast breaks, which is what I assumed he'd be held to coming out of HS (many of the fast breaks he created from his defense, for what it's worth).

It could also be that he's not really that effective in the half court... it's solely an opinion based on watching him and possibly me having a low bar in terms of expectations coming in. I've caught only a handful of Duke games, but they're generally the ones against top teams. So, my perception could be off base.

ETA: I'm not convinced he will be transcendent or the next LeBron. That is a high bar, and like you he'll need to show me something to earn that praise.

I haven't watched all their games but I've seen a few. I see the same stuff you do. I just feel like his handle is pretty basic at this stage.

By comparison .. and I'll make this unfair comp since folks are saying he's a prospect on this level, Lebron's handle was pretty good as a HS Sr. He was a legit guard. Zion can get from here to there just fine but his handle isn't a high enough caliber for folks to be calling him a sure-thing.

Scoring against NBA defenses will be more difficult in general so I surmise he'll have to develop other areas of his offensive game to remain effective.

I'm not saying he can't do these things. I'm merely saying he is not the finished product he's being billed as.

Giannis is a tremendous athlete but even he has areas to work on. Kevin Garnett famously said at the ASG that Giannis would have to develop a pullup to remain effective offensively in the playoffs. In the regular season, Giannis basically does what he wants in terms of getting to the rim. That dries up in the playoffs as teams lock in on taking things away defensively.

Zion will see a similar focus at the next level. He'll just have to keep working and expand his game.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We tracked him here for a long time, pretty unnecessarily, but if you haven't seen the continual progress, not sure you're paying attention.

I ****ing hate dook, but I'd be full of **** if I tried to claim this kid doesn't have a clear love for basketball, desire to improve, and relishes competing hard.

It's pretty obvious.

Ok, then we'll see him do well.

I do know that Duke doesn't develop players so I think my skepticism is fair.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok, then we'll see him do well.

I do know that Duke doesn't develop players so I think my skepticism is fair.

Who said anything about dook developing him? **** dook. I'm talking about the kid taking it upon himself.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't watched all their games but I've seen a few. I see the same stuff you do. I just feel like his handle is pretty basic at this stage.

By comparison .. and I'll make this unfair comp since folks are saying he's a prospect on this level, Lebron's handle was pretty good as a HS Sr. He was a legit guard. Zion can get from here to there just fine but his handle isn't a high enough caliber for folks to be calling him a sure-thing.

Scoring against NBA defenses will be more difficult in general so I surmise he'll have to develop other areas of his offensive game to remain effective.

I'm not saying he can't do these things. I'm merely saying he is not the finished product he's being billed as.

Giannis is a tremendous athlete but even he has areas to work on. Kevin Garnett famously said at the ASG that Giannis would have to develop a pullup to remain effective offensively in the playoffs. In the regular season, Giannis basically does what he wants in terms of getting to the rim. That dries up in the playoffs as teams lock in on taking things away defensively.

Zion will see a similar focus at the next level. He'll just have to keep working and expand his game.
I agree with this. He has some work to be labeled a sure thing. I haven't heard anyone say that, but I'm not surprised it's out there.

I agree with those who say they've never seen an athlete like him. Again, doesn't mean sure thing, once in a lifetime basketball player.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO Zion's combination of athleticism and size make him both the highest upside and lowest floor guy in this draft. I haven't felt that way about a prospect since Blake Griffin or maybe Davis but I also considered that a weak class.

Deleted member 2897

Louisville’s implosion continues. With 1:45 left in the game, they have 13 points in the second half and only 4 two-point FG ALL GAME. That’s not a typo. FOUR 2PT FG ALL GAME.

Deleted member 2897

Louisville’s implosion continues. With 1:45 left in the game, they have 13 points in the second half and only 4 two-point FG ALL GAME. That’s not a typo. FOUR 2PT FG ALL GAME.

LOL, Louisville finished with 15 points in the second half, and only five 2-point FG all game. Crazily pitiful.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Different implosion than Duke though. This game is simply UVA being UVA and grinding them down in the second half. First half LV made the 3's that you have to make against a UVA D. That's what they give you. You aren't going to beat them with 2 point shots.

And it helps when Hunter plays like a surefire first round pick.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Different implosion than Duke though. This game is simply UVA being UVA and grinding them down in the second half. First half LV made the 3's that you have to make against a UVA D. That's what they give you. You aren't going to beat them with 2 point shots.

And it helps when Hunter plays like a surefire first round pick.

The fact that Louisville just kept chucking triples was incredible.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I see that Leaky Black and Sterling Manly have injury notations for NC. Anyone know anything about projected return?

I’d be surprised in Manley returns this year. Roy wants him to practice full speed for a week before coming back and apparently that’s not possible right now

Black should be back by the conference tourney I think