ACC Discussion

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So how many more ACC games do we win? We are not going to be overlooked the rest of the season so will not sneak up on anyone like syracuse and good game against Duke.

Other than @UVA and @VT I think we could win any game left. @FSU and @NCSU would be upsets but not really farfetched ones, imo. So I could see us realistically going 4-6 to 6-4 the rest of the way. Despite the scores of the past two games I think we showed why we can have a chance to win most games against teams that aren't the the real elite in the ACC, and I consider that to be UVA, Duke, and UNC. UL is on the fringe but we don't play them, and @Vt will be hard to overcome. It's hard to predict because if we have a game where we get a couple of threes to drop early and get some confidence I think we really could beat any of them.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Deleted member 2897

This vexes me:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4277854/mj-walker

Averages more minutes by almost 30%, but barely any more productive. Gotta think he'd easily be in double figures in scoring for us. Man it vexes me that some of these local kids don't see the opportunity they have at GT.

And, he accepted that scholarship when FSU was already full. Luckily they convinced someone else to leave. IIRC when he accepted the scholarship, they had like 8 guards or something too. Just crazy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And, he accepted that scholarship when FSU was already full. Luckily they convinced someone else to leave. IIRC when he accepted the scholarship, they had like 8 guards or something too. Just crazy.

Yeah, they didn’t convince the kid. They said he didn’t qualify

upload_2019-1-31_7-55-7.gif

He ended up at St. John’s and gets about 2 ppg

Deleted member 2897

71 points in a basketball game TOTAL, LOL. Mr, 4-Corners and Fake University Co-Founder Dean Smith would be proud.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This vexes me:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4277854/mj-walker

Averages more minutes by almost 30%, but barely any more productive. Gotta think he'd easily be in double figures in scoring for us. Man it vexes me that some of these local kids don't see the opportunity they have at GT.

He's averaging 34% from the field. He'd fit right in at Tech.

Coaches (not just ours) are making a mistake by just recruiting guys who are great athletes. They wow in the camps and on the AAU circuit with athleticism--so they get lots of stars---but they aren't necessarily great basketball players. Sure, great athletes are more likely to be able to play good defense, but someone has to score.

I'll give up 2 to score 3. Some mid majors have been successful recruiting less athletic kids who can shoot the 3.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
interesting night last night in the conference.

After scoring 24 points over the weekend, NC ST scored 4X that (96) and still lost by almost 20 points - in a game that wasn't that close. UNC was getting serious home cooking, but would have won without it. If you can handle NCST's press you can get alot of easy buckets - that doesn't bode well for GT.

FSU pummeled Syracuse in the Dome. Syracuse only had 4 guys score and one of those - Buddy Boeheim had 6.

Duke, like against GT, was down 2 at half to BC and then remembered who they are and pummeled BC 52-25 in the second half.

Wake and Pitt was the most interesting. Wake basically had the game won, then did a typical Wake fade late and was down 2 in the closing seconds. Pitt failed to corral a defensive rebound, Wake got it and scored at the buzzer to send it to overtime. Wake managed to hang on in OT by 2. Their win makes Miami temporarily the last place team in the conference.

ACC looks like it has 5 teams that are not only locks for the NCAA, but likely Top 4 seeds - Duke, UVA, UNC, VT and L'ville.

FSU and Syracuse both look like solid NCAA picks. They have solid numbers against Quadrant 1 and 2 teams. FSU would likely be ahead of Syracuse on the bracket, despite having a worse conference record.

The #8 team in the conference right now is NCST. They are an interesting team to look at. Their NET rating is high - #35 (higher than Syracuse) - but right now i think their chances of making the Tourney are really low. They have an awful SoS (352 OOC, 261 overall), they played 8 games against teams ranked 280 or worse - including 6 below 300 (in comparison GT played 3 below 280 and 2 below 300 and its SoS is 213 OOC and 52 overall).
They are 1-7 against quadrant 1 (home win over Auburn), with only 2 quadrant 1 games left. They could easily win 20 games and go 9-9 in the ACC and still have very little shot because their record is just so full of fluff. Clemson probably has a better shot than NCST and they don't have much of a shot either. But at least their SoS is good (98 OOC, 25 overall), but they are 0-6 against Quadrant 1.

if you want to see the team sheets the NCAA keeps them at this location
https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/SitePages/Home.aspx

FWIW, the winner of the GT game tonight will be in 8th place in the current ACC standings. if Clemson wins they will be in 8th by themselves at 4-5. If GT wins it will be in a tie for 8th with NCST at 4-6.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
interesting night last night in the conference.

After scoring 24 points over the weekend, NC ST scored 4X that (96) and still lost by almost 20 points - in a game that wasn't that close. UNC was getting serious home cooking, but would have won without it. If you can handle NCST's press you can get alot of easy buckets - that doesn't bode well for GT.

FSU pummeled Syracuse in the Dome. Syracuse only had 4 guys score and one of those - Buddy Boeheim had 6.

Duke, like against GT, was down 2 at half to BC and then remembered who they are and pummeled BC 52-25 in the second half.

Wake and Pitt was the most interesting. Wake basically had the game won, then did a typical Wake fade late and was down 2 in the closing seconds. Pitt failed to corral a defensive rebound, Wake got it and scored at the buzzer to send it to overtime. Wake managed to hang on in OT by 2. Their win makes Miami temporarily the last place team in the conference.

ACC looks like it has 5 teams that are not only locks for the NCAA, but likely Top 4 seeds - Duke, UVA, UNC, VT and L'ville.

FSU and Syracuse both look like solid NCAA picks. They have solid numbers against Quadrant 1 and 2 teams. FSU would likely be ahead of Syracuse on the bracket, despite having a worse conference record.

The #8 team in the conference right now is NCST. They are an interesting team to look at. Their NET rating is high - #35 (higher than Syracuse) - but right now i think their chances of making the Tourney are really low. They have an awful SoS (352 OOC, 261 overall), they played 8 games against teams ranked 280 or worse - including 6 below 300 (in comparison GT played 3 below 280 and 2 below 300 and its SoS is 213 OOC and 52 overall).
They are 1-7 against quadrant 1 (home win over Auburn), with only 2 quadrant 1 games left. They could easily win 20 games and go 9-9 in the ACC and still have very little shot because their record is just so full of fluff. Clemson probably has a better shot than NCST and they don't have much of a shot either. But at least their SoS is good (98 OOC, 25 overall), but they are 0-6 against Quadrant 1.

if you want to see the team sheets the NCAA keeps them at this location
https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/SitePages/Home.aspx

FWIW, the winner of the GT game tonight will be in 8th place in the current ACC standings. if Clemson wins they will be in 8th by themselves at 4-5. If GT wins it will be in a tie for 8th with NCST at 4-6.

FSU actually kind of pummeled them twice. Noles were up big and I think Cuse cut it to six before FSU closed em down.

At the Carrier Dome.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
FSU actually kind of pummeled them twice. Noles were up big and I think Cuse cut it to six before FSU closed em down.

At the Carrier Dome.
FSU was the better team, but by this logic then Cuse pummeled FSU once.

FSU jumped them from the tip and got up 22 in the 1st half. Was a 1-point game 7 min into the 2nd half. FSU ultimately gassed Cuse who pressed to get back in it but didn't have the depth to stay in it. Too big of an early hole.

Cuse is going to have a tough time the 2nd half of the year. Their 1st half ACC schedule was 13th SOS in the league. They have a stretch coming up: @ NC St, vs. Louisville, vs Duke, @ UNC, @ Wake, vs. UVA. I'm not convinced yet that they're a tourney team, but they have a lot of chances to prove it.