ACC Discussion

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Am in London for work this week. Really nice surprise to wake up and see the score!

ETA: wrong thread. Sorry. Jet lag got me. Meant to post in ND game thread.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2897

Clemson was ahead at NC State with 25 seconds left and just lost. That’s right, not only did Clemson’s best free throw shooter miss 4 straight (plus others missed them too), but NC State scored 8 points in 25 seconds. It takes us 10 minutes to score 8 points. :D. What a disaster for Clemson.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson was ahead at NC State with 25 seconds left and just lost. That’s right, not only did Clemson’s best free throw shooter miss 4 straight (plus others missed them too), but NC State scored 8 points in 25 seconds. It takes us 10 minutes to score 8 points. :D. What a disaster for Clemson.
Not only that but Marquees Reed missed 4 free throws in a row.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was at my son's robotics competition all day so all I have seen are a few highlights and game trackers. But both Wake's and Clemson's losses were bad.
Clemson missed 6 FT's in 25 seconds. After all their SRs graduate they are going to struggle next year big time imo.
Wake had Bowman dead to center and the defender actually moved sideways and gave Bowman a clear look at the basket and he responded by making his only 3 of the day.
If Wake didn't want to finish last that was a game they needed to win. Can't imagine Manning getting a year 6, but then again Jeff Goodman posted a couple of weeks ago that he was told that Manning's contract was fully guaranteed for 6 years at $3MM/yr.

Pitt also seems to be coming back to earth. I would have said that about NCST as well if Clemson hadn't choked. NCST's OOC is very, very weak, they are going to need at least 9 ACC wins, maybe 10 to get an NCAA bid.

one non ACC thought. How much longer does Shaka Smart get at Texas? This is year 4 and he is 61-59 overall and looking like he is going to miss the NCAA for the 2nd time in 4 seasons (and he's 0-2 in his 2 appearances). He is 26-35 in Big 12 games and that is with multiple NBA lottery picks on his teams. The only season he had 20 wins was his first were he went 20-13. He will be snatched up quick if he is released, but to this point he simply has not done well at Texas. I feel like he will get a year 5 and he has a huge buyout (though this is TX we are talking about), but people are getting antsy in Austin.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
one non ACC thought. How much longer does Shaka Smart get at Texas? This is year 4 and he is 61-59 overall and looking like he is going to miss the NCAA for the 2nd time in 4 seasons (and he's 0-2 in his 2 appearances). He is 26-35 in Big 12 games and that is with multiple NBA lottery picks on his teams. The only season he had 20 wins was his first were he went 20-13. He will be snatched up quick if he is released, but to this point he simply has not done well at Texas. I feel like he will get a year 5 and he has a huge buyout (though this is TX we are talking about), but people are getting antsy in Austin.

Remind you of any former GT coaches (hint-Hewitt). I always thought CPH was so successful early because of his assistants. Once he lost them , even with top recruits, we struggled. I don’t know enough to say the same has happened to Smart, but after watching Hewitt and Pastner, I have become convinced head coaches are over valued and assistant coaches are under valued in college basketball.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I was at my son's robotics competition all day so all I have seen are a few highlights and game trackers. But both Wake's and Clemson's losses were bad.
Clemson missed 6 FT's in 25 seconds. After all their SRs graduate they are going to struggle next year big time imo.
Wake had Bowman dead to center and the defender actually moved sideways and gave Bowman a clear look at the basket and he responded by making his only 3 of the day.
If Wake didn't want to finish last that was a game they needed to win. Can't imagine Manning getting a year 6, but then again Jeff Goodman posted a couple of weeks ago that he was told that Manning's contract was fully guaranteed for 6 years at $3MM/yr.

Pitt also seems to be coming back to earth. I would have said that about NCST as well if Clemson hadn't choked. NCST's OOC is very, very weak, they are going to need at least 9 ACC wins, maybe 10 to get an NCAA bid.

As far as Shaka goes, I think Buzz’s days in Blacksburg are numbered.

Deleted member 2897

I can't believe NCSU hasn't been put on NCAA probation over the Dennis Smith payoff. They have FBI info which their investigators would have never gotten.

Once the NCAA did nothing over UNCheat the gloves were off. If you can run a fake university for decades and get no punishment...

The NCAA has tons of info on payments to players and coaches via the FBI investigation and has done nothing.

Well, they did fine and sanction Charleston Southern recently, LOLOLOLOLOL.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As far as Shaka goes, I think Buzz’s days in Blacksburg are numbered.
Because Buzz is headed to Texas A&M?

Shaka is too proud to stay ahead of the reaper and they owe him too much money. He'll get removed to get moved on. Big question is how much do they care about it in Texas, given football is back on the rise?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Because Buzz is headed to Texas A&M?

Shaka is too proud to stay ahead of the reaper and they owe him too much money. He'll get removed to get moved on. Big question is how much do they care about it in Texas, given football is back on the rise?

Think Billy Kennedy goes before Smart? Not sure about that but I don’t know their contracts.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Think Billy Kennedy goes before Smart? Not sure about that but I don’t know their contracts.
If you found out through back channels that Buzz would come home to Texas, I think both try to figure out who can get themselves open. Just not sure who has a bigger pill to swallow.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If you found out through back channels that Buzz would come home to Texas, I think both try to figure out who can get themselves open. Just not sure who has a bigger pill to swallow.
IMho A&M would be foolish to fire Kennedy. I know his health is a concern but he’s a damn fine coach.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

Neither of those schools have any concerns about any buy out. They were both over $200M in athletic revenue last year per the USA Today numbers.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Neither of them gives two sh*ts about basketball. Going by memory, I think Texas Western is the only U of T school to make a Final 8. And that was a LONG time ago (and a historic game)

ETA: Old age memory got me again. Quick Google search reminded me UT made final 4 in 2003. Also made it a couple of times way back in the early years of the tourney.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Once the NCAA did nothing over UNCheat the gloves were off. If you can run a fake university for decades and get no punishment...

The NCAA has tons of info on payments to players and coaches via the FBI investigation and has done nothing.

Well, they did fine and sanction Charleston Southern recently, LOLOLOLOLOL.
BTW UNC spent $18M defending their AFAM program. They fired the head FB coach, forced the AD to resign as well as the president. The head of that program also retired but kept his state pension. The entire women's BB recruiting class from the year before all transferred and one one of them was AJ Gray's sister. The current chancellor was told to leave the end of this month rather than complete the academic year over the relocation of a civil war statue on campus that had been ripped down by a student protest. Things are not great in Chapel Hill.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
BTW UNC spent $18M defending their AFAM program. They fired the head FB coach, forced the AD to resign as well as the president. The head of that program also retired but kept his state pension. The entire women's BB recruiting class from the year before all transferred and one one of them was AJ Gray's sister. The current chancellor was told to leave the end of this month rather than complete the academic year over the relocation of a civil war statue on campus that had been ripped down by a student protest. Things are not great in Chapel Hill.
Think anyone in the Deandome gives a s**t about any of that?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Think anyone in the Deandome gives a s**t about any of that?
Actually many of my UNC fans are embarrassed by the scandle because they have a very high opinion of themselves academically but as long as it didn't affect the BB team you are correct. Roy was very concerned when the whole thing first started getting out that it would bleed over into his program but they did a good job circling the wagons. The WBB team was very involved with the AFAM thing.