ACC Discussion

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I grew up in Huntsville, AL and took the ACT since I was applying to some colleges there. I think the preferred test is based on preference and we were told to take the ACT for colleges in Alabama that we were applying to. That was also in the mid-70's so I won't pretend to know what is required today.
The ACT has passed the SAT as the preferred test for a lot of colleges. The kids in our competitive county focus more on the ACT than the SAT nowadays

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anybody feel like that other than Duke and UVA, that any other team in the ACC is beatable if you play a strong game.
I don't really fear any teams other than those 2. almost every team other than those 2 in the ACC have shown weaknesses that can be exploited

I tend to look at schedules in groups of games - 3-4 at a time, not one at a time win/loss. More, how many do I think the team can reasonably win in this group of 3-4 games. Right now i keep coming up with 5-6 more wins for GT. Maybe they get there, maybe they don't, but I don't see it out of the realm of possibility. The schedule is somewhat frontloaded so they need to pull a win here and there to keep their confidence up, if they do they have some very winnable games late.

As an example of the ACC already. UNC pounded Pitt. Pitt got a close win over L'ville (and nearly took down NCST today who lost to UNC earlier this week). L'ville comes back and pounds UNC after losing to Pitt.

BC and ND played a game between 2 teams that GT is capable of beating. ND only played 6 players due to injury and still used their bench more than BC who got 18 min out of 4 bench players.
Both are not as good as last year. BC has a similar issue to GT. They simply have no one on the roster to replace Robinson. ND has been hit hard by injuries for the 2nd straight year and has a very limited rotation. Miami due to injuries and NCAA ineligibility is similar to ND, not many bodies. Wake is up by 1 on the road at Miami right now.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Anybody feel like that other than Duke and UVA, that any other team in the ACC is beatable if you play a strong game.
I don't really fear any teams other than those 2. almost every team other than those 2 in the ACC have shown weaknesses that can be exploited

I tend to look at schedules in groups of games - 3-4 at a time, not one at a time win/loss. More, how many do I think the team can reasonably win in this group of 3-4 games. Right now i keep coming up with 5-6 more wins for GT. Maybe they get there, maybe they don't, but I don't see it out of the realm of possibility. The schedule is somewhat frontloaded so they need to pull a win here and there to keep their confidence up, if they do they have some very winnable games late.

As an example of the ACC already. UNC pounded Pitt. Pitt got a close win over L'ville (and nearly took down NCST today who lost to UNC earlier this week). L'ville comes back and pounds UNC after losing to Pitt.

BC and ND played a game between 2 teams that GT is capable of beating. ND only played 6 players due to injury and still used their bench more than BC who got 18 min out of 4 bench players.
Both are not as good as last year. BC has a similar issue to GT. They simply have no one on the roster to replace Robinson. ND has been hit hard by injuries for the 2nd straight year and has a very limited rotation. Miami due to injuries and NCAA ineligibility is similar to ND, not many bodies. Wake is up by 1 on the road at Miami right now.

I picked UNC in the preseason. I still think their makeup is tremendous but they are bad defensively. I agree that Duke and Virginia are the cream. Dukes defense is something people aren’t realizing, I’m a firm believer in “freshman don’t play D” but these guys do. I beleive this could be Virginia’s year as Braxton Key has begun to find his way.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
FSU giving it to duke right now. I totally agree with you ramblinred. I looked at our schedule after the VT game and thought we could end anywhere between 2 wins and .500 in conference.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FSU didn't get the message that Duke is unbeatable. Giving them all they can handle.
But they are likely the most athletic team in the ACC and the one that can match up player to player with athleticism. Duke tries to spread the floor and simply out beat you with their athlete versus yours. I think they can do that with any other team in the ACC except maybe UNC/UVA.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
FSU didn't get the message that Duke is unbeatable. Giving them all they can handle.
But they are likely the most athletic team in the ACC and the one that can match up player to player with athleticism. Duke tries to spread the floor and simply out beat you with their athlete versus yours. I think they can do that with any other team in the ACC except maybe UNC/UVA.

Williamson got poked in the eye late in the first half and hasn't returned. That is certainly a factor.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Williamson got poked in the eye late in the first half and hasn't returned. That is certainly a factor.

Definitely a lot of athleticism and hard to handle without help. Without a doubt a factor. I still think FSU matches up with Duke and the way they want to play better than just about any ACC team.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Definitely a lot of athleticism and hard to handle without help. Without a doubt a factor. I still think FSU matches up with Duke and the way they want to play better than just about any ACC team.

Agreed.

TV Teddy is studying this replay with ferocity. This game may never end.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FSU should have won that game. Reddish is one of two guys you can’t lose.
I agree. Barrett is so good FSU had to deny him the ball. So, that leaves them vulnerable to the back screen and Reddish is open. Remember, all this happened with Williamson on the bench.

All that aside, FSU could not grab an uncontested rebound after the missed FT by Barrett. It should have been the game when he missed.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand what the kid who had Reddish did. Yea there was a cut to the basket but he didn't need to join the scrum around the basket and leave Reddish wide open. Adds to the stereotype of all athlete no brains. :banghead:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And the interesting games continue on Tuesday.

UVA is pounding VT at home - 44-22 at half. VT has 7 rebounds the entire half. Of course UVA is 17-25 from the field, so not many defensive rebounds to be had.

Wake is beating NCST at half - 42-27. wake is shooting 56% and NCST 29%. Wake has 42 points with Hoard having 2 and Childress 6. NCST's weakness is really simple - if you can handle their pressure you can get alot of easy baskets. Also, NCST wants to take alot of threes, but when you are 1-14 from deep in a half, going to be hard to score much.