ACC Discussion

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The final two weeks look very interesting, with Duke @ UNC for a rematch on the last weekend.

Pitt and Miami are the two to watch. Pitt has a clearer path with four winnable games. The toughest should be Miami, but they're at home. Miami two games they should certainly win if they are truly a bubble team, but they also have Pitt on the road and UNC at home. Knowing they have Duke ahead, UNC does not want to get trapped in Miami. Assuming no major surprises in the ACCT, my guess is that Pitt will win out and be the ACC's sixth team. Miami will head to the NIT with two more losses. But, the real upset scenario would be for Miami to win out and slide in ahead of UNC (if they also lose to Duke). I like it that teams in contention for that sixth seed are playing each other.

It looks like we will be the #12 seed this year and play VT on Wednesday. If we win, the next opponent will probably be UNC (unless they have a major screw-up and lose to Miami and Duke).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Right now i'm thinking NCSU gets in and one of Miami/Pitt.
I think the path to the post-season is complicated for NC State. Their next three games are on the road, including @ UNC this Tuesday. Then they finish at home against a Syracuse team playing their final game of the season. For them to get an invitation I think two things have to happen. First, they need to win three of those four games. Then they need to win a game (maybe two) in the ACCT. The scenario that makes most sense for them is that Pitt loses to Miami and Miami loses to UNC while state beats UNC. That sets up a potential 4-way tie for seeds 6-9.

If State wins Tuesday I think we will start hearing serious talk about UNC being on the bubble.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One more thing. In spite of being further down the RPI chart, Pitt has done what it needs to do on the court and has a legit chance to win out. If they do, and win a game on Thursday in the ACCT, they would have 23 wins (11-7 in league play) in what is arguably the toughest conference. I think that would get them an invite and a 8-9 seed.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind the where you finish in your conference does not matter. It is not even on the information provided to the committee (they do not get a sheet that says you finished 10-8 and tied for 6th in the conference.) They get multiple sheets with alot of information. including every game you played, where it was played, who played in it (was anybody injured or suspended for either team), the RPI rankings of the teams, etc.

But this is why you see teams like UGA last year that finished 2nd in the SEC but didn't get a bid while teams behind them did. They don't care what you do in conference, because few teams play round robin anymore.

I think NCSU is closer right now to getting in then Pitt - Pitt has the easier road the rest of the way, but that means they can't afford to lose those games.

UNC is very in, they could lose out and would still get in.

Right now there are probably 40 teams that are somewhere on the spectrum of would have to lose out to not make it to would have to win out to make it. But all those teams are basically on the bubble because those are still possibilities. Half those teams will get bids.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Here are two documents to read:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-committee

http://www.ncaa.com/content/di-principles-and-procedures-selection/

Here is the pertinent phrase in the Principles and Procedures manual: "Among the resources available..." I do not think this paragraph says conference record or performance in the conference tournament is excluded. @RamblinRed , if you have a better source of information, I would like to see it. You are certainly better connected to college hoops than I am. Thanks.

I was unable to locate the N&O article I read last year, but it said none of the committee members are relying solely on the information provided to them by the NCAA. The ballots are secret and committee members can use information not provided by the NCAA directly.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll try and find it, but it was mentioned by one of the media members that took part in the yearly event last week where they invite media members to a weekend mock of what the committee does. That individual said that one of the things he was told by a committee member was they do not get conference record as one of the pieces of information. It's not considered important since the schedules are unbalanced.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would not expect Gregory to be relieved until at least the following Saturday. it is generally frowned upon to fire a coach until after the tournament concludes. it's seen as taking news away from the tourney (and negative news at that).
I also am unlikely to take Howland to GT seriously until I actually see it happen. GT is so squeaky clean in its hiring that I sort of assume Howland isn't going to make it past the background check - but I won't rule it out completely either.

Of course i also put the odds of Gregory being fired at between 90-95 percent. MBob won't make a change unless he feels he has the financial wherewithal to hire whoever he is interested in.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The final two weeks look very interesting, with Duke @ UNC for a rematch on the last weekend.

Pitt and Miami are the two to watch. Pitt has a clearer path with four winnable games. The toughest should be Miami, but they're at home. Miami two games they should certainly win if they are truly a bubble team, but they also have Pitt on the road and UNC at home. Knowing they have Duke ahead, UNC does not want to get trapped in Miami. Assuming no major surprises in the ACCT, my guess is that Pitt will win out and be the ACC's sixth team. Miami will head to the NIT with two more losses. But, the real upset scenario would be for Miami to win out and slide in ahead of UNC (if they also lose to Duke). I like it that teams in contention for that sixth seed are playing each other.

It looks like we will be the #12 seed this year and play VT on Wednesday. If we win, the next opponent will probably be UNC (unless they have a major screw-up and lose to Miami and Duke).

Yeah, it looks like we'll be either 12 or 13. The odds seem really long for us to either surpass WF to 11 or fall below BC for 14. Too bad because the 6th seed will be much more beatable than the 5th. It's crazy that ND is ACC #2 considering how closely we played them both games. Oh, well.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The best thing about being above the 14 seed means we likely (not guaranteed) get an ACC/Big 10 game next year. That would've been disappointing if we didn't get that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fun end of game controversy from Pitt/Syracuse. I'm used to no-calls like this from the NBA, not college.

FYI - no sour grapes. Pitt played a better game yesterday, but Syracuse could have stolen it with a travel call there.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Fun end of game controversy from Pitt/Syracuse. I'm used to no-calls like this from the NBA, not college.

FYI - no sour grapes. Pitt played a better game yesterday, but Syracuse could have stolen it with a travel call there.

That could go either way though... they could have called a foul for forcing him OOB. But he did travel and I think step OOB before he got the pass off so... I would have called him OOB before I called the travel. Same premise stands though

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
DTM,
i thought you would enjoy this comment from shakinthesouthland blog in their Clemson-Duke thread.

I never expected a W vs Dook
but it still reminds me of how far we have fallen since OP left. We were at a point where no matter who we played I expected a 50/50 shot at winning. We could go on the road @ dook and give them all they can handle and have a shot at winning in the last minute. Now we have to hope for miracles to even remain competitive.

Not saying I want OP back, but I really wish Terry Dumbass Philips hadnt cheaped out and actually hired somebody worth a **** instead of going for the cheapest possible candidate that he could shove down the fans’ throats that they’d accept. We were at a crossroads, OP had rebuilt us after the shyatt era and had us on the precipice of greatness, he just couldnt get us over the hump. Him leaving in the middle of the night was actually an opportunity for the Ath Dept to take the next step forward with a really great hire. We couldve stepped up and made a big name hire that couldve pushed us forward, instead we get Brad Brownell and we take a step backwards. So, disappointing.

by IhateUSuC on Feb 22, 2015 | 10:11 AM reply

Clearly a $60 million office building for Drad
And Tennis facilities were more important.

Clemson Sports Analyst for Shakin' the Southland

by Ryan Kantor on Feb 22, 2015 | 10:59 AM

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@RamblinRed I've got no sympathy for the long term deal they signed Brownell to. First, I think he's still a better coach than BG. Second, too much money on facilities & tying their hands with good, not great (at best) coaches is what they deserve for hiring LazyAD.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Unsurprisingly, Tony Bennett is really just that good. Perrantes & Brogdon have a massive head to head collision, Brogdon misses a few minutes, Perrantes doesn't come back. FSU can't do a damn thing. Lose by 10, scoring only 41.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
i think Brownwell is a better coach than Gregory as well. Not good enough to propel Clemson to anything than middle of the pack, but better than Gregory.

I just found it amusing that 2 yrs in and they are already seeing what we saw alot of with Drad at GT. I always liked how either ESPN or JT put it, "he was good at fundraising and facilities, not so good at coaches and compliance".

It was slightly surprising to see the deal he signed with Brownwell after having to deal with Hewitt's deal at GT. It was basically structured so that it would be pretty cost prohibitive to let Brownwell go for 3 years after he signed the extension. Given his only NCAA so far was his first year with OP's players and made it into the first four.