ACC Discussion

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It'll be really ironic if the SEC gets more teams in than the ACC, but people seem to think they're on pace for 6 squads.
SEC outside of KY is going to have a number of mid to low seeds (heck UGA could easily get the 2nd highest seed for that conference - imo they are the 2nd best team), ACC might get 5 top 4 seeds.

ACC certainly has more teams that have a real opportunity to make runs in the tourney.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
NCST boggles me, they have some really talented players. I also expected Beejay Anya to be a ton better in college than he is after i watched him play in HS. His offensive game just hasnt developed.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCSU has definately been less than the sum of its parts. It has multiple McD AA's and alot of Top 100 or even Top 50 guys. But they play indifferent defense and go through offensive spells.
Gott wants to run the old UCLA High Post offense that his mentor Jim Harrick used, but his players really don't fit that offense all that well.
They definately have not developed their players as well as you would have expected.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anya can't stay out of foul trouble. He has 37 fouls in 190 min in ACC play. almost one every 5 min and has fouled out of 2 games. No wonder he only plays 16 mpg. He's big, but not overly mobile.

NCSU only loses Turner and Lee (who doesn't play much), has no recruits coming in, but is largely a FR/SO team so you would expect them to be better next season.
They have Barber, Washington, Anya, Freeman as SO and the Martin twins and Abu as FR. That's most of their team except Lacey who has 1 more year and Turner who graduates.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Anya can't stay out of foul trouble. He has 37 fouls in 190 min in ACC play. almost one every 5 min and has fouled out of 2 games. No wonder he only plays 16 mpg. He's big, but not overly mobile.

NCSU only loses Turner and Lee (who doesn't play much), has no recruits coming in, but is largely a FR/SO team so you would expect them to be better next season.
They have Barber, Washington, Anya, Freeman as SO and the Martin twins and Abu as FR. That's most of their team except Lacey who has 1 more year and Turner who graduates.
I think the NCSU faithful are happy with Gott. I have several alum friends here in NC that are VERY happy with him. It's tough having UNC and Duke practically next door, but he is averaging over 20 wins a season and went to the NCAA each of his 1st three seasons. I doubt they make it this year, but as Red stated, they are a very young team. They are hopeful Brandon Ingram plays at State next season. His home in Kinston is just over an hour from the State campus.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That's a big likely win for Pitt assuming they hang on.
They gave L'ville a good game earlier this week. A win over UNC likely puts them squarely on the bubble.
Clemson beating VT does not.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good wins for the middle teams.
NCSU getting a huge road win at L'ville - that will put them right back on the good side of the bubble. Having wins over Duke and L'ville will go a long way in discussions.
Pitt got a win it needed to get into the bubble discussion.
clemson got a must win that doesn't really move the needle but a loss would have been good night.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That's funny. The Big East has Villanova and nobody else.

I'm thinking the article's point of reference for the Big East included Syracuse, Louisville, UConn, and Georgetown. Obviously that's a moot point now that three of those bell cows are no longer part of the league.

Perhaps this is just a guy preempting ND's inevitable early exit from the tournament by laying the blame on the ACC.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Watching Duke-UNC last night was like hearing Isaac Stern play the violin. All you can do is marvel at the intensity of effort and the incredibly high level of play. Who wants to guard Okafor or Jones 1-on-1 with a spread court? Okafor is a 6'11" guy who can beat his opponent with dribble moves from 15-20 feet away from the basket. And I want to see Jones' long form birth certificate. He plays like a senior.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was a great game last night. They usually are. Those 2 both bring their A games when they play each other.
I will say this. I like how our schedule sets up the rest of the way. We may go 0-4, but I could see 2-2 as well.

We get UNC 60 hours after that game against Duke (one they basically had won until Duke went on the late run and forced OT). Will they have a letdown Saturday. I doubt they play with anywhere near that intensity level.
We get a L'ville team that is not playing well right now and may be without Chris Jones (who would cause our guards issues)
Then we go to Clemson (in all honesty, if we win just 1 more i'll take this one - having lost 10 in a row would be nice to start a streak against them)
Then we get UNC at home the game before their rematch with Duke, so maybe they look ahead.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Without a doubt, UNC will be sleepwalking on Saturday. If we bring our A game, we could sneak out with a W.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you don't do it you should go to CBSSports daily and read the Night Watch column. It really keeps you up to date in what is happening in college basketball every day.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...duke-beats-unc-in-an-overtime-instant-classic

Always has great video and pictures as well. The photo of Winslow mugging the UNC player so Jones can score the tying layup is worth a 1000 words.

I also mention that UGA has done everything in the last 4 days to screw up a easy NCAA bid. Going into last weekend they were 24 in the RPI, 7-4 in the SEC coming off a nice road win at TX A&M with home games against Auburn and SC (2 of the 3 worst teams in the SEC). 4 days later they have 2 bad home losses and slide to 42 in the RPI and are now quite bubbly. They likely need to win at AL Saturday to stay on the right side of the bubble.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
That was a great game last night. They usually are. Those 2 both bring their A games when they play each other.
I will say this. I like how our schedule sets up the rest of the way. We may go 0-4, but I could see 2-2 as well.

We get UNC 60 hours after that game against Duke (one they basically had won until Duke went on the late run and forced OT). Will they have a letdown Saturday. I doubt they play with anywhere near that intensity level.
We get a L'ville team that is not playing well right now and may be without Chris Jones (who would cause our guards issues)
Then we go to Clemson (in all honesty, if we win just 1 more i'll take this one - having lost 10 in a row would be nice to start a streak against them)
Then we get UNC at home the game before their rematch with Duke, so maybe they look ahead.

He's back after a one-game suspension.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Miami blew a golden opportunity at L'ville to really goose their resume. Up 3 with a little more than a minute to play but L'ville gets the win.
Pitt gets a nice road win at Syracuse that will start to get them into bubble discussion - need to keep winning.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Miami blew a golden opportunity at L'ville to really goose their resume. Up 3 with a little more than a minute to play but L'ville gets the win.
Pitt gets a nice road win at Syracuse that will start to get them into bubble discussion - need to keep winning.
I think Pitt is severely underrated. I enjoy watching them play ball. They are a very solid team. Be dangerous if they make the tourney I think.