ACC Discussion

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
46 pts on only 23 shots. That is incredible. He's avg over 20 ppg shooting 50% FG, 47% 3FG and 85% FT. In ACC games over 25 ppg 57% FG, 52% 3FG and 88% FT. There is not way he should not be 1st team and he ought to get serious consideration for PoY in the ACC.
To think GT held him to 19.
Also, congrats to ND for breaking their 7 game losing streak. They have been decimated by injuries. That was a team that looked like a potential Top 4 seed before the injuries set in.

But it was BC. Seriously, who loses to BC?

(yes, I'm in denial)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
After being down by 10 at halftime UVA grits out another win 59-55 in Tallahassee, holding FSU without a made FG for the last 9 min of the game.

St. John's gets its second scalp of the week beating Villanova in Philly. if UVA wins their weekend game they will ascend to #1 next week.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
After being down by 10 at halftime UVA grits out another win 59-55 in Tallahassee, holding FSU without a made FG for the last 9 min of the game.

St. John's gets its second scalp of the week beating Villanova in Philly. if UVA wins their weekend game they will ascend to #1 next week.
Guessing f$u forgot to play defense in the 2nd half? Last I looked candy was killing ugag. : )

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA was just more opportunistic - they shot the ball much better from deep. Their defense created some turnovers and the game wasn't called as tightly as ours was with FSU, so UVA was able to be a little more physical.

Everyone on that team is so good at understanding their role and filling it to a 'T'. I get jealous watching them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Watching the first half I thought for sure FSU was going to dump the Cavs.

Cofer did nothing in the second half and Angola and Mann combine to go 2-15. Game over

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know some don't like watching UVA, but I find them fascinating to watch.
Their adjusted Def Efficiency number would be the best ever since that metric was established if it stays where it is now. They are also a very good offensive team (Off EFF is #34 nationally) but they play so slow you don't realize how good they are at times on offense.

i actually have enjoyed watching college basketball this year, even though GT will not be involved at the end, due to how unpredictable it has been. No real dominant teams. Villanova is a dominant offensive team, but their defensive efficiency is right at where GT is. They are susceptible if they have an off shooting night (and are missing 2 starters).

Kentucky despite all the AA's and one and dones is going to not be the SEC regular season champ for the 4th time in 9 seasons under Calipari. Just having the most talent doesn't always win you a championship. The players have to be willing to play as a group and in particular be able to defend as a group or they will eventually be beat by a team that does play well, especially defensively, as a group. This is Duke's weakness as well this season. They just have games where they look like they don't care to defend at all.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
[QUOTE="RamblinRed, post: 399000, member: 1776"They just have games where they look like they don't care to defend at all.[/QUOTE]

Why should they? They all know it's a temporary way station en route to their destination in The League.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I love watching UVA play. Especially play defense. I try to teach pack line defense to my AAU teams so I am always trying to pick up tips on how they adjust - especially how they adjust to shooters. The basic part of help inside the pack line is pretty easy to teach and understand - it is the stretching to cover shooters that is tough.

What is really impressive and hard to get kids to understand is how hard they have to work to play defense like that. Even good players and good kids take a while to get it about how hard they have to play.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I know some don't like watching UVA, but I find them fascinating to watch.
Their adjusted Def Efficiency number would be the best ever since that metric was established if it stays where it is now. They are also a very good offensive team (Off EFF is #34 nationally) but they play so slow you don't realize how good they are at times on offense.

i actually have enjoyed watching college basketball this year, even though GT will not be involved at the end, due to how unpredictable it has been. No real dominant teams. Villanova is a dominant offensive team, but their defensive efficiency is right at where GT is. They are susceptible if they have an off shooting night (and are missing 2 starters).

Kentucky despite all the AA's and one and dones is going to not be the SEC regular season champ for the 4th time in 9 seasons under Calipari. Just having the most talent doesn't always win you a championship. The players have to be willing to play as a group and in particular be able to defend as a group or they will eventually be beat by a team that does play well, especially defensively, as a group. This is Duke's weakness as well this season. They just have games where they look like they don't care to defend at all.

Agreed on UVA

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
anybody see Clemson being alone in 2nd place in the ACC by 2 games before the season began. I certainly did not. They could be looking at a 2 or 3 seed.
I certainly did not. That said, I think they go 3-3 down the stretch and land at a 4/5 seed.

Then the ACC tournament will also be interesting for them and others. With a mess in the middle, it'll come down to match-ups more than recent past. Recently the top 3-4 were heavier favorites to make the semis, but there's not much separation this year outside of UVA.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
I certainly did not. That said, I think they go 3-3 down the stretch and land at a 4/5 seed.

Then the ACC tournament will also be interesting for them and others. With a mess in the middle, it'll come down to match-ups more than recent past. Recently the top 3-4 were heavier favorites to make the semis, but there's not much separation this year outside of UVA.

With Duke's lack of depth, hard to see them making a run. It will be interesting to see if ND is at full strength.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
anybody see Clemson being alone in 2nd place in the ACC by 2 games before the season began. I certainly did not. They could be looking at a 2 or 3 seed.
Esp not after losing Grantham.

As much as it's tough to relive, I look back at our game against them as a turning point in both team's seasons. Remember, they came into that game after an awful loss at Virginia. Our game is still a game I think we should have won and they probably feel they overcame adversity to get a win. The trajectory for both teams after that game are exactly opposite (with the exception of our win over Cuse).

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Esp not after losing Grantham.

As much as it's tough to relive, I look back at our game against them as a turning point in both team's seasons. Remember, they came into that game after an awful loss at Virginia. Our game is still a game I think we should have won and they probably feel they overcame adversity to get a win. The trajectory for both teams after that game are exactly opposite (with the exception of our win over Cuse).

I tend to agree with this sentiment.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A little over a week ago UNC's Luke Maye managed 4 points in 34 minutes against Clemson. He had 33 points and 17 rebounds against NC State in 36 minutes today.

GT_EE78

Banned
With Duke's lack of depth, hard to see them making a run. It will be interesting to see if ND is at full strength.
just be aware that coach K may find a way to put the D back in uke and Grayson has been hella clutch in the past years, taking the ACCT and NCAAT isn't out of the question.